Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the roughest pub in Dublin city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭topdecko

Great thread. Drank in a fair few of central pubs and never had any bother. Was great craic in the mornings drinking and chatting with the regulars in Chancery and Capel Inn trying to avoid going home for as long as possible on those mornings when finished week of nights.
    Most of the places mentioned i wouldn't describe as rough TBH, generally if you weren't acting the bollix you would be grand.
    Have looked through thread but cannot see any mention of a pub on Moore Street/Lane or around that area. Had completely blacked out windows - looked like a bunker of sorts and there was a tricolour behind the bar. Not even sure if this place existed or just a figment of my imagination.... never went inside but it looked like the roughest place in Dublin at the time. Would have been late 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,549 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We're 500 odd posts in and no one has yet given me a recommendation on where I may just lose my life

Unless you involve yourself in the Hutch Kinahan fued you are at little risk of anything in any of these pubs

The pub mentioned in the post above is probably the one that had no official name and was at the back corner of the Jury's / Moore Street Mall development

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Really enjoyed that thread. Have drank in a few of the pubs mentioned, some lived up to their reputation some dont.
    But on the list for me the rowdiest one I was in had to be the "Jobie" The Jobstown House.

About 20 years ago was out one Saturday night ended up back at a party and a couple of hours later went to the pub for a fixer. Some lad comes over to me and tells me that I was in his seat.

I asked him his name, told him his name wasn't on it when I sat down. A scuffle broke out we were punching the head off each other then the owners wife came out and started hitting us with a soup ladle.

Then we sat beside each other and got twisted. Surreal.

One pub I can't believe hasn't been mentioned and for me it was the roughest pub I have been in was The Chinaman at the back of Dublin Castle. Bikers bar. Some hardy lads in there.

It was, many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

Birneybau wrote: »
    It was, many times.

You're right it was mentioned I must have missed the only mention of it on page 11. I never knew that one mention was seen as "Many times" thanks for the lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

You're right it was mentioned I must have missed the only mention of it on page 11. I never knew that one mention was seen as "Many times" thanks for the lesson.

It was mentioned in a different thread about Famous Dublin Pubs that are no more.

Maybe that's what the other poster was referring to, they are somewhat similar threads.

The Chinaman must be closed for about 25 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

topdecko wrote: »
    Have looked through thread but cannot see any mention of a pub on Moore Street/Lane or around that area. Had completely blacked out windows - looked like a bunker of sorts and there was a tricolour behind the bar. Not even sure if this place existed or just a figment of my imagination.... never went inside but it looked like the roughest place in Dublin at the time. Would have been late 90s.
    That used to have an off licence booth made of plywood with a just big enough hatch iirc and I remember picking up cans in the small hours there on a couple of occasions after a chat with the bakers.

imme wrote: »
    It was mentioned in a different thread about Famous Dublin Pubs that are no more.

Maybe that's what the other poster was referring to, they are somewhat similar threads.

Mea culpa

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

tricky D wrote: »
    That used to have an off licence booth made of plywood with a just big enough hatch iirc and I remember picking up cans in the small hours there on a couple of occasions after a chat with the bakers.

It existed alright, was in it once, friend of the old mans was drinking in there for some reason.

Did appear to be made of plywood. Think it sold two litres from the offo hatch

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

imme wrote: »

OK I was a bit snarky this morning, apologies to the original poster, but it only closed around 2005 time. As far as I am aware

OK I was a bit snarky this morning, apologies to the original poster, but it only closed around 2005 time. As far as I am aware

That was me and I didn't mean to be smart. A few stories here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113474717

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055647278

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Lovinguinness

I am surprised no one mentioned "The Corduff Inn." Out in Blanch that could be rough.

While "The Blacker" has a rep in coolock most of the serious nutters drank in Kyle's but never caused an issue there.

Saints and Sinners, near Constitution Hill, not mentioned either had it moments.

The Blind Ref could be dodgy. The Auld Triangle was an old "Stickie" bar (official IRA). Clearys under the Bridge was an old Provo place.

Madigans kilbarrick had its moments too, the locals call it madbins.

Bit like others said, unless you went in looking hassle none were mad rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Not really in the spirit of the thread but remember the Barcode up the road?? Some spot that was :P

Got off the Dart at Clontarf Rd and some young wans were headed for BC, already well oiled by the sight and sound of them, anyway one of them needs a piss, walks under the stairwell and lift area on the Northbound platform, which is not concealed and wide open, lifts her skirt up and...you can guess the rest.

Was on the other platform but didn't hang around looking like a lecher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭raheny red

I am surprised no one mentioned "The Corduff Inn." Out in Blanch that could be rough.

Me new local. Have nipped in a few times @ "off peak" but it's been fine. Saying that, I wouldn't be bringing the missus :)

There was a video a few years ago doing the rounds on WhatsApp but I can't seem to find it. One gentleman chasing another around the pool table with an angle grinder :D Would love to see it again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

raheny red wrote: »
    Me new local. Have nipped in a few times @ "off peak" but it's been fine. Saying that, I wouldn't be bringing the missus :)

There was a video a few years ago doing the rounds on WhatsApp but I can't seem to find it. One gentleman chasing another around the pool table with an angle grinder :D Would love to see it again!

Why would you bother drinking in a pub like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

sasta le wrote: »

Guinness seems to taste better in places where you might get knifed if you look at the wrong person

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Guinness seems to taste better in places where you might get knifed if you look at the wrong person

I often find that the worse the jacks is the better the Guiness/Smithwicks is the piss to porter ratio I call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Guinness definitely has a weird factor to it. You could have 2 pubs. One, a modern glass box with a 17 year old working behind the bar, loads of neon and bright lights. The second one, an old dump, smells slightly odd, very dark, grumpy cúnt behind the bar. Both serve an identical pint. Everyone would swear the glass box pint is **** compared to the old dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,549 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you collect a list of the pubs that people say Guinness is great in, you get a very obvious pattern where most or all of these factors exist:

Victorian interior
    Uniformed barmen (and primarily men, at that)
    Open fire
    No music
    No TV
    Auld lads

That the Victorian interior may have been swiped from a rural pub down the country during a refit in the 1990s doesn't seem to matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Smell of guinness farts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭raheny red

sasta le wrote: »

Tis a lovely Guinness and anytime I've gone the staff and custom have been great. Pre covid it was perfect to nip in while grabbing the milk and bread. :)

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    Smell of guinness farts.

Get rid of the smoking ban!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

L1011 wrote: »
    If you collect a list of the pubs that people say Guinness is great in, you get a very obvious pattern where most or all of these factors exist:

Victorian interior
    Open fire
    No music
    No TV
    Auld lads

That the Victorian interior may have been swiped from a rural pub down the country during a refit in the 1990s doesn't seem to matter!

Very few pubs with uniformed barmen and no TV nowadays .

I actually can't think of any off the top of my head .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭BandMember

yabadabado wrote: »
    Very few pubs with uniformed barmen and no TV nowadays .

I actually can't think of any off the top of my head .

Nearys. Great pint of stout too! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

The Blacker

BandMember wrote: »
    Nearys. Great pint of stout too! ;)

Just off Grafton St? Name of that street escapes me .

Last time I was there it wasn't uniformed barmen. Although they all were all well decked out.

Just off Grafton St? Name of that street escapes me .

Last time I was there it wasn't uniformed barmen. Although they all were all well decked out.

Yeah, that's the location alright. Very old school pub in decor (but very well maintained and cleaned), no tv, no music and the barmen are always kitted out in the white shirts and dickiebows. Along with the apron for spillages, of course! :pac:

BandMember wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the location alright. Very old school pub in decor (but very well maintained and cleaned), no tv, no music and the barmen are always kitted out in the white shirts and dickiebows. Along with the apron for spillages, of course! :pac:

Most of them didn't have the aprons or dickie bows on last few times I was there but that makes absolutely no difference to me.

Oil Can Harry's was a spot I noticed most of the barmen kitted out in the shirt,tie and apron.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

L1011 wrote: »

Victorian interior
    Open fire
    No music
    No TV
    Auld lads

No Hipsters!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Smell of guinness farts.
    Guinness definitely has a weird factor to it. You could have 2 pubs. One, a modern glass box with a 17 year old working behind the bar, loads of neon and bright lights. The second one, an old dump, smells slightly odd, very dark, grumpy cúnt behind the bar. Both serve an identical pint. Everyone would swear the glass box pint is **** compared to the old dump.

Cert'n'ly.

What also helps it along is when the auld wan minding the taps is on the rag. Just check the dates.

• Advertisement

Most of them didn't have the aprons or dickie bows on last few times I was there but that makes absolutely no difference to me.

Oil Can Harry's was a spot I noticed most of the barmen kitted out in the shirt,tie and apron.

Are you sure it's Neary's and not McDaid's that you're thinking of? Very easy to get those two mixed up...

Advertisement