Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the roughest pub in Dublin city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Not a pub by nature, but its clientelle can be full of a pub goers
    BABYLON on Camden street

Does anyone know if Beltons(Lowrys) Summerhill is still open?

if so, is Anthony Lowry still running it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It was open until lockdown last year. My mate literally moved in across the road the day of Ireland v England in the 6N last year and we had been banking on turning it into his local. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The (true) story of the Nigerian guys going in there looking for protection money is one of those stories of Dublin pub's legends.

Pray tell please........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,538 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Pray tell please........

I think it's mentioned previously on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Funny everyone remembers the Nigerian story about the Blue Lion when there was a fella was taken out by a hitman in it around the same time....then there was a failed hit in it a few years after that

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

I did a VEC course in Collinstown in Rowlagh in the mid 2000's. Few of the lads were local so they convinced us to head up to Finches for a pint or three before breaking up before the Christmas. Was about 3pm on a midweek afternoon and the look of suspicion us non locals got walking into the windowless bunker of a pub before the lads 'vouched for us' was hilarious. But once that was clear place was good craic, except for the pished auld boy I interrupted trying to snort (already with a nosebleed) coke from the top of the handryer in the jacks!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Fatnacho

Did a bit of a tour of the pubs around Thomas/Francis/Meath St. on a Saturday before the lockdown. Strange area with a massive difference in clientele for such a small locality . Hipster bars like Lucky’s, Drop Dead Twice& Anti-Social right beside dumps like Bakers(patrons trying to headbutt the DJ and pulling their own pints behind the bar) and the Lark Inn. Was wary of the Liberty Belle walking in but it’s a smashing place. Glad, however, to visit places like Bakers and Donaghmede Inn before they closed for good. Pubs like that are becoming rarer and rarer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bakers will reopen with new operators I'm sure; but its very likely it'll be another bar similar to Luckys etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Fatnacho wrote: »
    Did a bit of a tour of the pubs around Thomas/Francis/Meath St. on a Saturday before the lockdown. Strange area with a massive difference in clientele for such a small locality . Hipster bars like Lucky’s, Drop Dead Twice& Anti-Social right beside dumps like Bakers(patrons trying to headbutt the DJ and pulling their own pints behind the bar) and the Lark Inn. Was wary of the Liberty Belle walking in but it’s a smashing place. Glad, however, to visit places like Bakers and Donaghmede Inn before they closed for good. Pubs like that are becoming rarer and rarer.

The Liberty Belle is a great boozer.

My oul lad was fond of stopping in there back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

The Liberty Belle is a great boozer.

My oul lad was fond of stopping in there back in the day.
    The Liberty Belle is a grand aul boozer. I know a fair few of the regulars, and there's a few right gee bags that drink there, it puts me off going there :D
    That's a personal thing though. It's a good aul pub.
    EDIT. Haven't been in it in a couple of years. There's quite a few that drink there that have been barred from other pubs in the area. Decent pub, but I'm not in the humour for meeting some folk there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Some of the former Bakers drinkers went up to Kennys, as where people from half way across the city at various stages of the lockdowns trying to get in a few gargles. A lot of great characters but it was messy and it wasn't uncommon to see trouble kicking off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 thewolfisloose

Not sure if it's been previously mentioned but.. The Furry Bog in Whitechurch.

A few years ago I was working for a Dublin taxi fleet on the base. I naively sent out a people carrier late one weeknight. It was one of the pubs on the southside serving travellers at the time. I only found out what the craic was after the driver had arrived and refused the job. There had been an organized brawl out the front of the pub and they wanted the driver to bring the losing party to Temple st, wait with them for treatment and then return back to the pub afterwards.

I'd love to rock in one day and ask for the cocktail menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

ShyMets wrote: »
    It gone a few years but the Museum Rest just of Queen St was pretty nasty

Ah will u stop - you must have had a sheltered upbringing if you thought the rest was rough - you could go half a mile from there for 'rough'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

Many years back my Da brought me for a pint in The Jolly Beggarman (he was having a laugh) it was on Nichoas St - fckc me it was rough!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Not sure if it's been previously mentioned but.. The Furry Bog in Whitechurch.

A few years ago I was working for a Dublin taxi fleet on the base. I naively sent out a people carrier late one weeknight. It was one of the pubs on the southside serving travellers at the time. I only found out what the craic was after the driver had arrived and refused the job. There had been an organized brawl out the front of the pub and they wanted the driver to bring the losing party to Temple st, wait with them for treatment and then return back to the pub afterwards.

I'd love to rock in one day and ask for the cocktail menu.

Temple st? What age was he!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Temple st? What age was he!

That's kinda funny. Send the loser to the children's hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

That's an old joke in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

The Liberty Belle is a grand aul boozer. I know a fair few of the regulars, and there's a few right gee bags that drink there, it puts me off going there :D
    That's a personal thing though. It's a good aul pub.
    EDIT. Haven't been in it in a couple of years. There's quite a few that drink there that have been barred from other pubs in the area. Decent pub, but I'm not in the humour for meeting some folk there :D

Yes The Liberty Belle is a great pub. Used to go in there of a Thursday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

Lloyds on aimiens st wasn't the safest boozer late 80s.I used to frequent it and witnessed many a fight.The bar was mostly Sheriff st families and an post workers.In fairness they would go outside and sort their issues then back in for more pints,the lounge however was full of mad women, tables,chairs etc flying,not as civilised as the menfolk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,538 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

mick121 wrote: »
    Lloyds on aimiens st wasn't the safest boozer late 80s.I used to frequent it and witnessed many a fight.The bar was mostly Sheriff st families and an post workers.In fairness they would go outside and sort their issues then back in for more pints,the lounge however was full of mad women, tables,chairs etc flying,not as civilised as the menfolk.

It seems ok now , although I was only ever in it during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Morbid curiosity has me wanting to go to a dive of a place

A reply to the original post for the thread.
    Any place would do at this stage, there is only so many more sobriety notches that i can carve into this headboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭vafankillar

mad how few of these places there are left now, the pandemic & lockdowns have speed up the disappearing rate hugely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Yeah it's all gentrified sh!te now and Craft beer and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

The Black Sheep in Coolock lost it's licence, after several name changes (was still called the Blacker) is currently a GYM lol.

Jaysus that place was rough in the 80s and 90s. You know it's bad when there's lads sniffing powder on the counter of the bar and one of them is the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Qrt

The Jobstown House and its revamp is actually pretty amazing, I was gobsmacked at how the place has turned out. The food is class too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Over the years seen a few strange things

Went in there ordered pint asked if I had exact change as pub just been robbed and they took the till

Also due to my height got asked 4-5 times if I was a copper as we don't like coppers here

Saw someone with Shetland pony inside & owner having pint

Also massive fight outside and someone took out a machete and another a samurai sword

Have not been there in over 5 years not sure what it is like now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Nodster

I wouldn't say my local is really tough, but looking around even the armchairs have tattoos

• Advertisement

• The Pimlico Tavern always looked very sketch any time I passed.

Furitive characters smoking in the door way and really gack euro trance blaring.

Advertisement