Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the roughest pub in Dublin city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

ShyMets wrote: »
    It gone a few years but the Museum Rest just of Queen St was pretty nasty
    Jesus, you must have lead a charmed life if you thought that was rough! Gone now, its partially fell down after a fire. Around the corner was the Glimmer Man - choice during the horse fair!

Actually, I had a beer once in a boozer near the markets locally known as 'El Paso' - I didnt (nor need to) ask why it got that nom de guerre!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

the lantern in galway is good craic.
    remember collecting dad years ago, a line of prams lined up like planes on a runway outside..

btw it was Christmas eve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Almost forgot, it doesn't really qualify as a pub as it was a nightclub and I'm not sure if it ever had any kind of licence, The Asylum. It was a notorious ravey-type nightclub on Sackville Place open in the early 1990s - there's a long-running thread about it somewhere on boards. Heard a rumour that the bouncers took to carrying guns towards the end of its short existence.

Wasn't it open till 6/8am had some weird licence that gave it that length?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The Honey Pot (gone)
    The Welcome Inn (gone)
    The Blue Lion (gone)

rough as f**k

The Welcome Inn was full of students, occasional locals and bohemian types. Half the pubs in this thread listed as rough really make me fear for some people's ability to cope with everyday life.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭swervring

Had a few drinks in the Sunset House before concert in Croke Park & it was a bit rough but no trouble.

The Kiltipper Bar would have a few characters drinking in there but I wouldn't class it as rough.

The Furry Bog in Whitechurch has to be up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭adgib

Baron John's was rough, went in for a Sunday afternoon pint once,put money on the pool table, guy who was playing had a cue cracked over his head shortly after, didn't hang around

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

the lantern in galway

Have a look at the thread title (and forum name) there, good lad.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

ShyMets wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the The Fleet on Fleet St, now part of Dolyes. Its gone about ten years. But my God, you got some class of character in that place.

They let me in there when I was 16 with an Xtra-Vision Card

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The Welcome Inn was full of students, occasional locals and bohemian types. Half the pubs in this thread listed as rough really make me fear for some people's ability to cope with everyday life.

The owner was a bit odd as well but it wasnt a rough house.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    is that provo pub widow scannels still open?
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    in 2002 the the Holiday Inn hotel had just opened up opposite the Widow Scallons and Pearse Street started getting tourists for the first time ever. A family of English tourists walked in for a pint not knowing it was a IRA pub, locals heard the accents and one of them got stabbed several times outside the pub soon after with the others getting badly beaten.

ah very nice, cead mile failte how are you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

swervring wrote: »
    Had a few drinks in the Sunset House before concert in Croke Park & it was a bit rough but no trouble.

Am I way off the mark, or was(is?) Gerry Hutch a part owner of that place?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

Ned Scanlon's on Townsend St was fairly rough spot, knocked down in the past few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SligoSean

L1011 wrote: »
    Wasn't a fan of the Hideout but it wouldn't have turned up on my roughest list. Should probably mention mine, bearing in mind that I've not been to some of the ones that are repeatedly mentioned yet. And this is based on what it was like when I visited; theres one in particular that was absolutely grand but I suspect is normally awful (Auld Triangle, coated in Republican murals and memorabilia inside and out)

In no particular order:

Marble Arch - they've got a fantastic physical quality pub here. Shame about the customers.
    57 Talbot - all the refits in the world can't stop this being Mother Kellys.
    Blind Ref - normally the roughest pub in an area is the cheapest. This isn't. Like drinking in a threatening shed.
    Graingers Meath Street - another threatening shed of a pub

57 Talbot...that used to be Mother Kelly's?
    I live in Oxford and only pass through Dublin occasionally on my way to Sligo. I watch Oxford United sometimes and after reading a post from the landlord of Mother Kelly's (who claimed he was an Oxford supporter) on a forum, decided to pass my usual watering hole (Ryan's) looking for a few scoops while waiting on the bus and head to Mother Kelly's. You know when as soon as you walk into a pub and wish you hadn't? The landlord seemed to be long gone and there were no United (Oxford, not the other one) photos on the walls as he'd bragged. I swigged the pint in one, used the jacks and ****ed myself right out of there back to Ryan's! Nobody made me feel particularly unwelcome, I could just sense trouble in the air and this was at about 2:00pm on a weekday afternoon!
    Seems to be called Molloy's on google earth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

One time a fella in the proiorswood pub was thrown out for fighting. He then had a fight in the car park. He couldn’t get back in after it so he went home and got his van and drove up to the doors and reversed right up to the now locked doors and tried to carbon monoxide everyone in the pub. His plan had obvious holes in it but that’s kind of what you are dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

like something out of a Roddy Doyle book :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

SligoSean wrote: »
    57 Talbot...that used to be Mother Kelly's?
    I live in Oxford and only pass through Dublin occasionally on my way to Sligo. I watch Oxford United sometimes and after reading a post from the landlord of Mother Kelly's (who claimed he was an Oxford supporter) on a forum, decided to pass my usual watering hole (Ryan's) looking for a few scoops while waiting on the bus and head to Mother Kelly's. You know when as soon as you walk into a pub and wish you hadn't? The landlord seemed to be long gone and there were no United (Oxford, not the other one) photos on the walls as he'd bragged. I swigged the pint in one, used the jacks and ****ed myself right out of there back to Ryan's! Nobody made me feel particularly unwelcome, I could just sense trouble in the air and this was at about 2:00pm on a weekday afternoon!
    Seems to be called Molloy's on google earth?

Molloys is the other end of the block and is a totally different pub

Mother Kellys used to usually have an inch of piss on the floor of the toilets; that might settle which it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

I’ve never been in, but Stoney Bar on Hill Street looked rough as hell from the outside. I believe it’s now called “Hill Street Sports Bar”, still looks just as rough.

Skelet0n wrote: »
    I’ve never been in, but Stoney Bar on Hill Street looked rough as hell from the outside. I believe it’s now called “Hill Street Sports Bar”, still looks just as rough.

Its now apartments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

Its now apartments

Ah no! I’ve been building up the courage for the last decade to go in. I’ll never get to experience the Stoney hospitality.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

that was absolutely grand but I suspect is normally awful (Auld Triangle, coated in Republican murals and memorabilia inside and out)

I was in there a few times around All Ireland matches. Different crowd, mostly fine.

Wandered in one night on the way home after a few in town. Not there 10 minutes when some lad walked in with a knife and started a fight with a bunch sitting down. Bottles, glasses and chairs flying. Annoying because they were serving after hours and now they had to call the Gardaí so no more beer :(

That aside I didn't get a bad vibe off the place. Just seems like a place with cheap beer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

swervring wrote: »
    Am I way off the mark, or was(is?) Gerry Hutch a part owner of that place?

I believe he was alleged to be a part owner of a place further towards town called (I think) The Castle. Hardly ever opened.

Cusack's and Annesley House on North Strand both fine local pubs, though Cusack's gets a lot of spillover from the non-locals attending Da Mimmo.

What used to be the Strand House at the Five Lamps was a grand place, but changed hands to owners who didn't give a **** what went on in the place and it ended up a right kip - mysterious 'fire' and all. It looks from the outside as if it is some sort of student bar now, but I've never seen it open.

Agree about Cleary's near Connolly. Grand spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I did see someone stabbed outside the Millennium Inn by Museum luas stop, but I think it was junkies in the vicinity rather than customers.

Odd shop though, landlord was an ex priest who was good craic but all sorts drank in there. I went in to watch the hurling one day, bad from the night before. Wasnt long sat down and a woman hands me a sandwich and a napkin. I was starving so took a lump out of it. When I looked around I realised she was a customer, looked mad as fcuk, pulling cheese sandwiches out of her coat pocket and wrapping them in bog roll I assume came from the jacks. Bits of tobacco stuck to them and all sorts, rotten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The pub that used to be at the NE corner of Cumberland St Nth, opposite the dole was fun and had those tiny windows at head height was some hole.

Another one was at the junction of Grenville St and Hill St.

We used to hang around in the Phoenix on Dominick St Upper which had a regular ambulance call about every second sunday for the all-day-sunday drinking ladies who would get seriously viscious after 9pm. We had the upstairs with a great pool table and got a few visitors some who ended up shot. We also attempted to play in the Superleague pool competition which brought us to all sorts of salubrious places. Never had any trouble but I still would not tap a pool cue against the table in the what is now (is still?) the Irishtown House.

Tony Burkes, later Stoneys, wasn't rough when I drank there over 2 decades. Biggest trouble in that pub was when the wife caught the owner with the au pair and took him for half the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Has anyone mentioned Mullet's Bar on Amiens Street ?

spurious wrote: »
    What used to be the Strand House at the Five Lamps was a grand place, but changed hands to owners who didn't give a **** what went on in the place and it ended up a right kip - mysterious 'fire' and all. It looks from the outside as if it is some sort of student bar now, but I've never seen it open.

Operator went under a few months ago and it's back up for rent again

Theres a recurring trend of people nominating pubs that are long long closed, the Millennium is the latest there. Most really rough pubs have gone it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

The Noggin Inn in Sallynoggin,wear a suit of armour.

It's not great, but it's hardly 'Deerhunter' levels of rough. Now that was a kip.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

What about The Furry Bog?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I did see someone stabbed outside the Millennium Inn by Museum luas stop, but I think it was junkies in the vicinity rather than customers.

Odd shop though, landlord was an ex priest who was good craic but all sorts drank in there. I went in to watch the hurling one day, bad from the night before. Wasnt long sat down and a woman hands me a sandwich and a napkin. I was starving so took a lump out of it. When I looked around I realised she was a customer, looked mad as fcuk, pulling cheese sandwiches out of her coat pocket and wrapping them in bog roll I assume came from the jacks. Bits of tobacco stuck to them and all sorts, rotten

Was that originally Nangles or Nagles ? I went school with a bloke who said his father owned that pub, the fcuker was off his head.

I worked in the museum when it was originally a barracks , a lot of those pubs were wild enough back then.
    Nowadays they're a lot quieter, Chancery can be a bit the wall and theres another early house in around Smithfield, Brunswick that has bouncers on the door in the early morning. I know some locals who never get into it.

I drank a lot in around Finglas and South Inner city and theres pubs I would never go near in those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

It's not great, but it's hardly 'Deerhunter' levels of rough. Now that was a kip.

Deerhunter was a great bar... I remember in the 80s my father would go in there and let us play on the snooker tables... later in life I use to drink in the bar and probably some of the best pool players around at the time (1997). Nobody was really nasty in the place compare to lots in the area (ballybrack to dun laoghaire) I never saw a fight in there and I drank in it every friday in my late teens..

I wouldn't of brought my gf at the time to it. Then it was rock riellys ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I went into the widow scallons on parse Street years ago for a point, I loved nearby. But I brought an English mate of mine on with me. We were advised to leave.....

But a favourite of mine when I was 18 was the Daniel o'connel at o'connel bridge. Little did I know what choice patronage that had!!!

Advertisement