Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the roughest pub in Dublin city?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Finnegans in Dalkey is fairly rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 StolenKrone

The Sunset house

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

Knew a few lads that drank in a bar in dun laoghaire... close to York road.. 2 lads on a pool table started arguing over a bet (maybe 1 punt bet per game) . It ended up with a guys ear been bitten off and spat out onto the table.

A mate went in a week after and asked why did they change the cloth on the table to red instead of green.

The owner said do you realise how much a cloth costs? This way if it happens again I won't have to change it

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

Dirty kip. Needs a good clear out

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Indeed it is, the clientele travels on the DART to annoy the natives. Nothing they can do about it really. And as a frequent visitor to this establishment, I can tell you that the price of lunch there would not put anyone off.

Joking aside, last time I was there it was Literary week or something like that, and a guy in an Australian hat with corks around the edges pulled up outside and was hand delivered a bottle of something. Well he was driving some kind of vintage MG. But it was hilarious.

Lots of ordinary Joes and Josephines live around there too. Salt of the earth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was only in it a couple of times but Barcode in Clontarf started off very successful with every 20 something year old on the northside congregating there but over the course of time it became a place where gangs from the various suburbs would have their mass brawls. In the end it got so bad they were refused a license and it was forced to close. Think the Gardai were sick of the nightly calls to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Barcode was grim. Dodgy punters, nasty pints from a McDonald’s type “tap” ie push a button to select drink and all came from the same nozzle, dickhead bouncers. The novelty of the place soon wore off and I’d say somewhere that size would have gone out of business anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Zulu wrote: »
    Surprised the Newtown house off the Malahide rd (darndale) hasn't gotten a mention....

I was just going to mention it.

It doesn't have any windows, instead it has windows painted on to the walls!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Skelet0n wrote: »
    I’ve never been in, but Stoney Bar on Hill Street looked rough as hell from the outside. I believe it’s now called “Hill Street Sports Bar”, still looks just as rough.

Stoneys had many incarnations! At one point used as an after show spot by the 'luvvues' working the Gate Theatre. Then stoney leased it and it hit the skids. I frequented it after many Dublin games and liked the place - with a weather eye on the door! (I tried a J Cash number there one night during a karaoke session).
    Of late the shut hit the fan. A family member of the Hutches lived a spit away and was shot outside his home - and, I'm told, the KOCG bought the lease as the ultimate fcuk you as a few hutch family members would drop in now and then - locals decided enough and stopped drinking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Collie D wrote: »
    Some fairly tame suggestions. Molloy’s for example - I’d imagine it gets its share of odd characters with it being an early house but half of Store Street Garda Station used to drink there when I was working local - not sure if they’ve found a new pub since then.

Dicey’s and the River Bar wouldn’t be rough either - **** “pubs” and serving overpriced drinks in the case of the latter but certainly not full of scrotes.

Molloys is fine always has been, few smelly feckers is all.

• Advertisement

wobert wrote: »
    Clearys on Amiens St, under the bridge is a great pub.
    Its well run and lovely pints. I call in for a guinness after work every so often.

One I keep meaning to check out. It was up for sale very recently so may or may not be a pub for much longer.

The Sunset house

Closed and opened under new management, called the Little Tree and being ran by a veteran of the pub scene.

One I keep meaning to check out. It was up for sale very recently so may or may not be a pub for much longer.

SH1t if it's up for sale, gem of a pub, particular about who they serve.

Closed and opened under new management, called the Little Tree and being ran by a veteran of the pub scene.

Passed by it on day of All Ireland replay a few weeks ago. Looks like a trendy wine bar/coffee shop/deli now. Wasn’t even sure if it was still a pub or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was only in it a couple of times but Barcode in Clontarf started off very successful with every 20 something year old on the northside congregating there but over the course of time it became a place where gangs from the various suburbs would have their mass brawls. In the end it got so bad they were refused a license and it was forced to close. Think the Gardai were sick of the nightly calls to it.

As far as I remember it never had a license. It took all them years for anybody to realise. Was in the papers at the time.

Passed by it on day of All Ireland replay a few weeks ago. Looks like a trendy wine bar/coffee shop/deli now. Wasn’t even sure if it was still a pub or not.
    It's a pub alright, has a license.

SH1t if it's up for sale, gem of a pub, particular about who they serve.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/pub-with-historic-and-film-links-on-market-for-2-75m-38185705.html

Can’t see a date on that article but somebody sent me the auctioneer’s ad a month or two ago.

Some nice little bits of trivia in the piece for anyone into their Dublin pub history.

EDIT: Article does seem to imply that the current retail venues (pub, locksmith and barbers) will continue to operate but just paying rent to new landlord and that the building has a preservation order.

Mother Kelly's (was it) on Amiens St/Store St corner was a ripe spot, buggy's all over at 8 bells in the morning and the owners haggling over there price of take outs, the way people used to do at kicking out in certain clubs. I used to meet an ahem associate there early doors, the regulars would sometimes address me as Officer ( I wasn't undercover but looked the part). I get drinking with two lads one morning and nothing would convince them U wasn't until it turned out on his arrival we were waiting for the same man, good times.

It's a brew pub now, dear too.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/pub-with-historic-and-film-links-on-market-for-2-75m-38185705.html

Can’t see a date on that article but somebody sent me the auctioneer’s ad a month or two ago.

Some nice little bits of trivia in the piece for anyone into their Dublin pub history.
    It was Michael Collins local I think they used to claim. Just read the piece there didn't see it. Surprised that Dessie Hanlon it's selling, served his time in the Shelburne AFAIR. Prolly too rough for him so moved up there for peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I was just going to mention it.

It doesn't have any windows, instead it has windows painted on to the walls!

The sign outside makes me laugh though

b0fb5fa95ede9507f7b03a80ca3b7e80.jpg

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    The sign outside makes me laugh though

b0fb5fa95ede9507f7b03a80ca3b7e80.jpg

:):) I pass by it every day and never even noticed the sign, never mind the addition

Only been in it the once and didn’t think it was rough, not a very pretty place but no sign of hassle. Probably does have potential for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I pass by it every day and never even noticed the sign, never mind the addition...Only been in it the once and didn’t think it was rough, not a very pretty place but no sign of hassle. Probably does have potential for it though.

That's why there's no windows! No pub spy has returned yet from that mission :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

The Furry Bog in Whitechurch is rough as a bears arxx. Hooligans boozing here

Also the Wharf on the East Wall Road, called something else now

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The Admiral in Dublin is meant to be rough, if you're not Russian.

Finches in Neilstown is also meant to be fairly rough, even if you're from the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

The Sunset house

Barring one notorious murder, was it truly rough though? I said earlier in the thread I drank there a few times and saw no trouble, didn't even sense a dodgy vibe off anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Knew a few lads that drank in a bar in dun laoghaire... close to York road.. 2 lads on a pool table started arguing over a bet (maybe 1 punt bet per game) . It ended up with a guys ear been bitten off and spat out onto the table.

A mate went in a week after and asked why did they change the cloth on the table to red instead of green.

The owner said do you realise how much a cloth costs? This way if it happens again I won't have to change it

Some of the nightclubs in and around Dun Laoghaire used to be very dodgy. I remember a guy was stabbed to death outside a ravey-type nightclub in Deansgrange in the early 1990s.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Some of the nightclubs in and around Dun Laoghaire used to be very dodgy. I remember a guy was stabbed to death outside a ravey-type nightclub in Deansgrange in the early 1990s.

The Roxy?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BDI wrote: »
    As far as I remember it never had a license. It took all them years for anybody to realise. Was in the papers at the time.

Not only did it have a licence, it still has a licence despite being closed for nearly 10 years!
    Mother Kelly's (was it) on Amiens St/Store St corner was a ripe spot, buggy's all over at 8 bells in the morning and the owners haggling over there price of take outs, the way people used to do at kicking out in certain clubs. I used to meet an ahem associate there early doors, the regulars would sometimes address me as Officer ( I wasn't undercover but looked the part). I get drinking with two lads one morning and nothing would convince them U wasn't until it turned out on his arrival we were waiting for the same man, good times.

It's a brew pub now, dear too.

No, Mother Kellys was on Talbot Street. That Store Street/Amiens Street corner (that is now Brew Dock) was The Master Mariner and some other names.

Was an early house and often full of pished Irish Press journos before it went pop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

Q Bar which is closed now could get very rough some of the bouncers use to even wear stab proof vests.

Almost every weekend you would have people fighting outside Q bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

the_syco wrote: »
    Finches in Clondalkin is also meant to be fairly rough, even if you're from the area!

Neilstown. Not Clondalkin.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Advertisement