Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the roughest pub in Dublin city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Q Bar which is closed now could get very rough some of the bouncers use to even wear stab proof vests.

Almost every weekend you would have people fighting outside Q bar.

You can't really hold a venue responsible for what people who haven't been let in do outside of it. I thought though this thread was about the inside of pubs, not the outside :)

It was way rougher inside and out when it was still called the Harp Bar

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

You can't really hold a venue responsible for what people who haven't been let in do. I though this thread was about the inside of pubs, not the outside :)

It was way rougher inside and out when it was still called the Harp Bar

But it shows that it attracted scumbags.

Yeah, the venue was obviously the thing that attracted the scumbags to the O'Connell Bridge area, wouldn't be a scumbag in sight there otherwise :p

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Yeah, the venue was obviously the thing that attracted the scumbags to the O'Connell Bridge area, wouldn't be a scumbag in sight there otherwise :p

Would ya gowan befooked. Were you ever outside the Blue Banana in your beloved Clondalkin. Was it just its location that attracted the scroates or did the nature of the business have anything to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Big Nasty wrote: »
    The Roxy?

Could be, can't remember. I think the nightclub was part of a hotel. I think the hotel is since gone, I don't know what's there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Personally I don't think any pubs in Dublin are truly rough. If you go in with the wrong attitude to any of the pubs mentioned you will find trouble but if you go in with the right attitude you'll find some of the funniest and most friendly people Dublin has to offer. Some assholes aswell but everyone knows they are assholes and keeps them in their place.
    Maybe there is one or 2 exceptions but I used to regularly drink in the blue lion and the oasis in cabra and never had a problem. In fact I remember my car was lifted away by the corpo across from the blue lion as it was a clear way after 4 or something and Gerry hutch himself wanted to pay to get it released. I kindly declined but you get my drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I used to have a regular taxi driver who was one of the toughest guys I know. He was telling me one day that the only pub he wouldn't drink in is the chancery. He was there one day and a guy came in to use the Jacks and there was guys at the bar discussing whose turn it was to mug him. He said it was like the scene in trainspotting where the tourist gets robbed.

I was doing data protection training in neilstown and I got a lift in a taxi. He asked me where I was to be dropped off and I said I didnt know but I'd go in to finches and ask. He wouldnt let me out of the car saying I would be robbed from head to toe and you needed exact change or the barman would Rob me. Also pointed out lack of windows.

DiffeRent taxi driver cracked me up with a story of a christening he was at in finches. Said a guy in his 70s shouted over at a group of young lads asking for a bag. Bloody 70 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Q Bar which is closed now could get very rough some of the bouncers use to even wear stab proof vests.

Almost every weekend you would have people fighting outside Q bar.

Yeah students fighting over a taxi or a mot or who bought the last round. Doesn’t even warrant a mention in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

joeguevara wrote: »
    I used to have a regular taxi driver who was one of the toughest guys I know. He was telling me one day that the only pub he wouldn't drink in is the chancery. He was there one day and a guy came in to use the Jacks and there was guys at the bar discussing whose turn it was to mug him. He said it was like the scene in trainspotting where the tourist gets robbed.

I was doing data protection training in neilstown and I got a lift in a taxi. He asked me where I was to be dropped off and I said I didnt know but I'd go in to finches and ask. He wouldnt let me out of the car saying I would be robbed from head to toe and you needed exact change or the barman would Rob me. Also pointed out lack of windows.

DiffeRent taxi driver cracked me up with a story of a christening he was at in finches. Said a guy in his 70s shouted over at a group of young lads asking for a bag. Bloody 70 year old.

When I was in Clerys in Inchicore on a Wednesday night there was an oul lad in his 60s, completed respectable looking, sitting at the bar ordering a bag on his phone!

The time I went to Finches on a Sunday afternoon (early...about 2), tried walking into the bar, and the bouncer moved in front of the door as if to say “you don’t belong in here”. Went into the lounge instead and watched people getting carvery from a hatch the size of my en suite window, a plastic jug of communal gravy sitting on the ledge.

Just remembered another story. I was at a meeting with a board of directors in Townsend street. Most of them had flown in from Italy.

After the meeting we were outside before going tO lunch. One director was smoking a cigar so we were just hanging around. All of a sudden a group spilled out of beds and had a full on brawl. One guy picked up a pole from a nearby building site and smacked one guy in the head. A keg was thrown through nedS wIndow before police came.

Moved office shortly after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This reminded me - The Chancery has maglocks on the toilet cubicles so they can only let people in who actually need a dump and aren't using it for other reasons!

You instantly no the type of pub it is if they have UV lights in the toilets.

You instantly no the type of pub it is if they have UV lights in the toilets.

O'Neill's pub on Suffolk Street has UV lights in the jacks.

O'Neill's pub on Suffolk Street has UV lights in the jacks.

I don't get the significance of UV lights in the jacks, I assume it's something to do with drugs? I'd say most city centre pubs do if so.

tdf7187 wrote: »
    I don't get the significance of UV lights in the jacks, I assume it's something to do with drugs? I'd say most city centre pubs do if so.

Makes it hard if not impossible to find veins due to lack of red in light. Not common at all in pubs. But are in trouble spots..even have them in four courts.

Yeah its to stop people injecting.

Makes it hard if not impossible to find veins due to lack of red in light. Not common at all in pubs. But are in trouble spots..even have them in four courts.

Ah ok got you.

There is a pub I drink the odd time that is best described as the pub from shameless. If I tell people I was there they are visibly shocked. But they have never been. I have never seen a fight or trouble.

But have seen mass brawls in pubs that have a good reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Don’t be vague, tell us the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Could be, can't remember. I think the nightclub was part of a hotel. I think the hotel is since gone, I don't know what's there now.

Ziggys nightclub at the Zeigfield Hotel - now a block of apartments

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/man-cleared-of-stabbing-female-garda-outside-club-26030736.html

• Advertisement

I understand that if you paint your veins with Tippex beforehand, they stand out beautifully in the blue light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Yeah students fighting over a taxi or a mot or who bought the last round. Doesn’t even warrant a mention in this thread.

Dunno about that but when it was the Harp Bar back 30 years ago it was simply a dangerous place to be, even walking past it could be dodgy depending on how you looked. I saw more than one person getting chased out of it by a gang of hoodies as they were then known.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

Some of the nightclubs in and around Dun Laoghaire used to be very dodgy. I remember a guy was stabbed to death outside a ravey-type nightclub in Deansgrange in the early 1990s.

I remember standing at the 111 bus stop outside dun laoghaire shopping centre and the night club in the basement was promoting mud wrestling lol

Ziggys is the name of the nightclub you are thinking of. The door men had a law of there own with batons to beat up lads they didnt like or wore runners...

Sadly a friend of my brothers was walking home from that club in 92. A joy rider ran him over on the foot path.

It's now an apartment block

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Neilstown. Not Clondalkin.

Same place

Same place

Funny how people here are happy to accept that one side of the Long Mile Road is Walkinstown, across the road is Drimnagh, the other side of the junction is Crumlin, but let on that Clondalkin has no boundaries and it seems to encompass basically anywhere between the Square and Liffey Valley especially in relation to a bad news report...

I knew plenty of w@nkers growing up in Crumlin who let on they lived in Kimmage or even Terenure. Weren't fooling anybody.

I knew plenty of w@nkers growing up in Crumlin who let on they lived in Kimmage or even Terenure. Weren't fooling anybody.
    De Mammy used to say 'Just put down Dublin 12, that's all they need to know'.

Funny how people here are happy to accept that one side of the Long Mile Road is Walkinstown, across the road is Drimnagh, the other side of the junction is Crumlin, but let on that Clondalkin has no boundaries and it seems to encompass basically anywhere between the Square and Liffey Valley especially in relation to a bad news report...

If you google Neilstown it’s in Clondalkin you muppet

Liffey Valley is Clondalkin, Newlands Cross is Clondalkin, Neilstown is right in the middle.
    And if you want to be pedantic, Neilstown is a housing estate. Finches would be closer to Harelawn

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is that area not called Rowlagh?

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Is that area not called Rowlagh?

No, again that’s a housing estate

Advertisement