Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the roughest pub in Dublin city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Can we get back on topic, I want to hear about places where a knife might get pulled on me not about arguing about housing estate locations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Noctors on Sheriff St.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Not sure which it was but a number of years ago we went down to Dublin for the weekend. Arrived in Connolly and crossed the road and went into a nearby pub for a quick one to get the weekend going.
    Smallish place, for to the side and I think a bar the full length of it at opposite side to windows.
    Anyone some young d fellas come in and start taking an interest in us.
    After a while of uncomfortable chat they toddle off to another part and bar man comes over and advises us to leave.
    No idea what was in the offing for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jake frost

A few kips ive been over the years, not sure if they are still around or if they have changed.

1. The Auld Triangle, on upper Gardiner st/ Dorset st junction..Dog rough..
    2. The Jolly Topper Finglas Village, Used to be known as the Village Inn.
    3. The Bottom of the Hill Finglas.
    4. A place on the corner of Halston Street and Green st, used to be called the Claddagh House I think its called the Caple Inn now (early house).
    5. Another early house the Chancery Inn.. on the QUays just arounf from the Courts.
    6 Bo Derros in Smithfield ,early house but I think its long gone now..

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭AhhHere

Can't belive some people saying Liberty Belle is rough. Been in loads at all times of the day. Lovely bar staff. Good music when on. Chatty patrons who love their sport. Never any trouble. Working class but never rough. Lark Inn on Meath street was fine. A bit bland if anything. That's the only reason I wouldn't go back.

I got started on in the Sunset House once. Another time, I asked for 2 Guinness and a Heineken.
    -No Henieken bar mans says.
    -Alright Carlsberg.
    -No Carslberg.
    -Okay, what do you have?
    -Bud.
    -Right, give us a budwieser. He serves it in a heineken glass. :rolleyes:

Clonliffe House is a kip. Only been in on match days though. Lamplighter is another sh1thole

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

Briodys on Marlborough Street is another kip of a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

jake frost wrote: »
    A few kips ive been over the years, not sure if they are still around or if they have changed.

1. The Auld Triangle, on upper Gardiner st/ Dorset st junction..Dog rough..
    2. The Jolly Topper Finglas Village, Used to be known as the Village Inn.
    3. The Bottom of the Hill Finglas.
    4. A place on the corner of Halston Street and Green st, used to be called the Claddagh House I think its called the Caple Inn now (early house).
    5. Another early house the Chancery Inn.. on the QUays just arounf from the Courts.
    6 Bo Derros in Smithfield ,early house but I think its long gone now..

Auld Triangle has its uses. If youre in want or need of a drink at 9am on a sunday morning give a knock and theyll let you in. Ive no memory of many GAA matches thanks to their hospitality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I remember standing at the 111 bus stop outside dun laoghaire shopping centre and the night club in the basement was promoting mud wrestling lol

Ziggys is the name of the nightclub you are thinking of. The door men had a law of there own with batons to beat up lads they didnt like or wore runners...

Sadly a friend of my brothers was walking home from that club in 92. A joy rider ran him over on the foot path.

It's now an apartment block

Thanks.

Come off it man. Briodys unless it has changed since I drank there is like one of those pubs referred to earlier in the thread frequented by retired civil servants and guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Not sure which it was but a number of years ago we went down to Dublin for the weekend. Arrived in Connolly and crossed the road and went into a nearby pub for a quick one to get the weekend going.
    Smallish place, for to the side and I think a bar the full length of it at opposite side to windows.
    Anyone some young d fellas come in and start taking an interest in us.
    After a while of uncomfortable chat they toddle off to another part and bar man comes over and advises us to leave.
    No idea what was in the offing for us.
    Mother Kelly's would be my guess.

• Advertisement

It really isnt .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

One person says a place is a kip, someone immediately denied this. I still have zero consensus on where the rough pubs are

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AlgerShane

What about the roughest city centre pub?

AlgerShane wrote: »
    What about the roughest city centre pub?

Roughest pub I was I around Dublin city centre was Noctors. ****ing kip of a spot,if I wasn't with a local lad I would have been turned upside down for the few pound in my pocket.

Funny thing, only place I ever saw a pub brawl (featuring lads wearing Glasgow Celtic jerseys, incidentally) was Searsons on Baggot Street. Ordinarily not remotely a rough spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

It's not great, but it's hardly 'Deerhunter' levels of rough. Now that was a kip.

The Noggin Inn, The Deerhunter and the The Thatch were all fairly rough in the 80's and 90's, only the Noggin Inn is there today, but it's mostly grand, just full of aul fellas really.

Further on up towards Ballybrack & Loughlinstown you'd find The Ramblers Rest & The Lough Inn, now the are some real kips!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Funny thing, only place I ever saw a pub brawl (featuring lads wearing Glasgow Celtic jerseys, incidentally) was Searsons on Baggot Street. Ordinarily not remotely a rough spot.

I saw a guy get glassed downstairs in Bruxelles of all places.

2 pint glasses into the face then one of those massive heavy glass ashtrays. Absolutely sickening. Bouncers then pinned him to the floor, rolled him around in the glass and fired him out. I never went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

yabadabado wrote: »
    Mother Kelly's would be my guess.

That's the place! We were sitting in the seat under the window.

Phat Cat wrote: »
    The Noggin Inn, The Deerhunter and the The Thatch were all fairly rough in the 80's and 90's, only the Noggin Inn is there today, but it's mostly grand, just full of aul fellas really.

Further on up towards Ballybrack & Loughlinstown you'd find The Ramblers Rest & The Lough Inn, now the are some real kips!

Why did the Deerhunter close anyway, was never in it but would have thought it did a good trade?

I saw a guy get glassed downstairs in Bruxelles of all places.

2 pint glasses into the face then one of those massive heavy glass ashtrays. Absolutely sickening. Bouncers then pinned him to the floor, rolled him around in the glass and fired him out. I never went back.

I think seeing something like that would put me off all pubs. The brawl I saw in Searsons was nothing near as bad, mainly handbags at dawn stuff that escalated but not to that extent.

• Advertisement

Was anyone ever in the Gallops Ballyogan Road Leopardstown? Heard it was dodgy enough due to there being a large settled travellers estate in the vicinity but that said googling it it gets good reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Was anyone ever in the Gallops Ballyogan Road Leopardstown? Heard it was dodgy enough due to there being a large settled travellers estate in the vicinity but that said googling it it gets good reviews.

It's not the best, but I wouldn't say it's dangerous. It's a real locals pub, everyone looking at you if you're not familiar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

Come off it man. Briodys unless it has changed since I drank there is like one of those pubs referred to earlier in the thread frequented by retired civil servants and guards.

I went there years ago and it was full of scumbags.

Me friend even had to pull me out of there.

I think a good thread would be traditional 'aul fellas' pubs.

I remember the Waterloo near the junction of Waterloo Road and Baggot Street from the days before it trendified circa 2001. Myself and a few work colleagues went on an impromptu mid-week session. Elderly barman: "sure what would ye want to be ordering more pints for? Ye haven't even finished your first ones!" I think it was the only time a barman basically told us off for spending too much in his pub. Their usual clientele in those days probably went in for their evening two pints and managed to make them last for the night. Pure old school. Now that I think of it it was one of the places the likes of Behan and Kavanagh used to drink in way back so perhaps he didn't like customers drinking too fast as he had seen too many customers die of alcoholism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Great thread.

Reminded me of some places I hadn't heard of in years.

This threads gone quiet. I want to hear more stories about dodgy pubs. I want to know why the Deerhunter closed especially if it was for dodgy reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was only in it a couple of times but Barcode in Clontarf... In the end it got so bad they were refused a license and it was forced to close.
    L1011 wrote: »
    Not only did it have a licence, it still has a licence despite being closed for nearly 10 years!

I think that the issue with Barcode wasn't the licence per se, but the fact that their planning permission did not permit it to operate as a nightclub.

Q Bar which is closed now could get very rough some of the bouncers use to even wear stab proof vests.

Almost every weekend you would have people fighting outside Q bar.

When would this have been? I was in Q Bar a few times over the course of 2 or 3 years shortly after it opened, and never saw anything out of the ordinary there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

I was in a bar in the fruit market in Dublin many years ago after doing an almighty Jaysus session all night with a group of friends. Had a full 3 course meal with red wine in Gigs Place at 4am followed by the vat bar and then on down to this pub close to green street. I can't remember the name only that it had a pool table and a load of locals in it at 7am. We had been refused from Bo Derrols, the tap and the cobble stone because we were an absolute shambles at this stage. How we made it out alive of the little local pub I'll never know, dodgiest pub I've ever been in all my days. If anyone has an idea of what the name of it might have been, put a brother out of his misery.

Gerry G wrote: »
    I was in a bar in the fruit market in Dublin many years ago after doing an almighty Jaysus session all night with a group of friends. Had a full 3 course meal with red wine in Gigs Place at 4am followed by the vat bar and then on down to this pub close to green street. I can't remember the name only that it had a pool table and a load of locals in it at 7am. We had been refused from Bo Derrols, the tap and the cobble stone because we were an absolute shambles at this stage. How we made it out alive of the little local pub I'll never know, dodgiest pub I've ever been in all my days. If anyone has an idea of what the name of it might have been, put a brother out of his misery.

Almost certainly Delaneys. Was there only once. I kind of figured out it wasn't my kind of place. I don't think it is dangerous unless you fail to observe pool table protocol, they take that seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Gerry G wrote: »

I remember having dinner and drinking with "Gig" the guy who owned the Gigs Place. A mad auld lad who sang Manuel the Bandito while we were waiting on our food. I wonder if he is still on the go.

Advertisement