Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Brexit made you stop watching the news?

Options
  • 15-10-2019 11:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

Brexit bores me to tears. It just seems like a complete waste of energy over the last 2 years.

I used to watch a lot of news programs and listen to a lot of talk radio but about a year ago I started reducing my news exposure. I hardly ever watch the news now unless it's for sport or weather. Thankfully I only have the Irish channels so I don't see any Sky nonsense. I reckon I am a much happier person by not watching or listening to so much news. I listen to a lot more music now or specific podcasts.

Has Brexit made you stop watching the news or change your habits in any way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It's made me stop NOT watching the news!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

People who support the EU never liked any form of news beside mass produced group think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

People who support the EU never liked any form of news beside mass produced group think.

No u

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nope. I consume much more news and analysis now because of Brexit. I don't know how people can be uninterested in such a historic event. Fatigued, sure but uninterested?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

I don't know what a backstop is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

More inclined to listen to podcasts for more details. News reports for me are just a quick summary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

I never watch soaps on anything regularly on tv
    Brexit , especially in the last 6 months or so has changed all that.
    It hasn't been like this since Home And Away was unmissable in the early 90s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

As above, I'm consuming more news that before because of Brexit.

Less news? Nah, way more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I will miss Brexit news. Its the best and most interesting thing on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What's Brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭Damien360

Yes. And the radio. I would have switched between Radio1 and TodayFM for news but I have completely switched to podcasts and avoid all radio and now tailor my content. Brexit has made me very cynical of anything the Brits promise so I now don’t bother listening to their side of the story at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Damien360 wrote: »
    Yes. And the radio. I would have switched between Radio1 and TodayFM for news but I have completely switched to podcasts and avoid all radio and now tailor my content. Brexit has made me very cynical of anything the Brits promise so I now don’t bother listening to their side of the story at all.

Is it not a problem though, that if all your news is "tailored" for your interests you will not get a spread of opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Ive worked from home for years and before Brexit I would normally just have the TV off.

Since Article 50 was triggered, Ive sky news on in the background on the TV and the guardian newspaper open in my browser to check the latest news on many topics.

So I would say Brexit has got me more interested in current affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

"Turn on RTE, I want the news"

"Well you can do one or the other".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,698 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

keano_afc wrote: »
    "Turn on RTE, I want the news"

"Well you can do one or the other".

If there was an award for Brexit coverage and leading with breaking news of key events, Tony Connelly would likely walk away with first prize.

There was a day earlier in the year where Chris Mason of the BBC was standing outside Westminster shrugging his shoulders, telling the program host, 'I haven't the foggiest idea what is going to happen next' while simultaneously, Tony Connelly was breaking a story of what the plan was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I don't know what a backstop is?

That is OK. It is now irrelevant to Brexit anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭victor8600

No, the news made me stop watching telly altogether long time ago. I know about Brexit through internet memes and threads on Boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Yes, completely. I am interested in it but it's going on sooooooo long it's boring the tits off me.

I really really want them to leave on the 31st, another extension would just be a joke.

It's also burying some really important news stories.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Ive worked from home for years and before Brexit I would normally just have the TV off.

Since Article 50 was triggered, Ive sky news on in the background on the TV and the guardian newspaper open in my browser to check the latest news on many topics.

So I would say Brexit has got me more interested in current affairs.

Do ye not find the narrative insanely repetitive over the past 2 years??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,530 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Brexit is the best TV show out there. I cant wait to see how this season ends!! Real plot twist that the comic relief guy a few seasons ago is now the bad guy!

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

I think it might turn out like the Y2K bug where they warned us that even toasters would stop working. Much ado about nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Brexit is the best TV show out there. I cant wait to see how this season ends!! Real plot twist that the comic relief guy a few seasons ago is now the bad guy!

But now enough nudity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Bored beyond belief with Brexit but I do feel sorry for our politicians, looks like it may be sorted so attention may turn back to their incompetence. What a wonderful distraction Brexit was for them since 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Bored beyond belief with Brexit but I do sorry for our politicians, looks like it may be sorted so attention may turn back to their incompetence. What a wonderful distraction Brexit was for them since 2016.

And a wonderful excuse for everything. This budget left every single one of worse off and not a word was said because eh "Brexit".

Jaysus its on every channel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Jaysus its on every channel!

Give the Disney Channel a try it admits it is a Mickey Mouse channel unlike all the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Bored beyond belief with Brexit but I do feel sorry for our politicians, looks like it may be sorted so attention may turn back to their incompetence. What a wonderful distraction Brexit was for them since 2016.

Was thinking that myself. Varadker and Coveney come out of Brexit looking like 2 of the most competent Statesmen in Europe and even the world.

I walked through the City Centre this evening doing some late night shopping and the problems are very real. Came across a fair few soup kitchens, plenty of homeless and drug addicts.

The domestic problems are very big for such a small country. It's should be completely manageable. FG have been apalling on this front, complicit by their inaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

To me it's a catch-22, don't watch it, and you're uninformed, watch it, and you're misinformed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

For me the water charges discussions first started to turn me off Irish news and it was the homeless that broke the camel's back and led me to avoid Irish news and Irish newspapers. I actually like the Brexit discussions by comparison.

Used to listen to Morning Ireland and Drivetime during my commutes, now it's podcasts.

Honestly my mental health feels much better for it.

Advertisement