Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Brexit made you stop watching the news?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Honestly my mental health feels much better for it.

Its understandable you d react so, the news can be very depressing at times, but I do think it's important to stay connected to our reality, podcasts can be fun and entertaining though, and that's important in life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

True enough. The funny that is that I love reading the books of historian Antony Beevor, that give absolutely horrendous accounts of world events like the siege of Stalingrad, the downfall of Berlin etc.

I just think as a generalisation Irish people love complaining and exaggerating the negative aspects of our country. That's the bit that annoys me more than anything.

I still keep up to date with international news though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

I watch the news more now. It’s like the best reality tv at the moment...so many unexpected twists and turns. All the main characters have a back story better than an X Factor contestant

And it’s pretty much 24-7 too

Sure what else would you be watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

I'm addicted to it. I came home from the pub early last night to watch Newsnight while half cut. Deadly serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

People are FINALLY discussing real issues down the pub rather than soccer teams winning/losing
    For friends of mine it has opened their eyes to real world politics.
    We agree on some stuff and disagree on other stuff, but at least we're not just talking Liverpool vs Man Utd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've kept track of the high-level events of Brexit. I also get the IT/Indo notifications through their mobile apps and even Boards.ie can be an informative source of news so I'm pretty aware of current events and politics generally.

Brexit I've only been skimming to a large extent of it because I fully expected a deal would be done to avoid a hard Brexit... and it has.

The lack of consideration about WHY people voted Leave beyond "they were lied to/stupid/racist" type reasoning is a concern. The EU has a lot of problems that are being ignored and this is why events like this happen. I doubt the UK will be the last TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

I now hear people who wouldn't previously have had any interest in politics or current affairs debating the finer points of Brexit. In that respect, it's a good thing if it increases engagement with the political system. In particular, younger people are figuring out that being informed and exercising your vote does matter. Only 64 percent of people aged 18 to 34 bothered to vote in the 2016 referendum—and now the future of their country is being reshaped because of the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

I still watched the news - but I can't watch/read/listen to debate or opinion anymore. There's too much of it out there - and I prefer to just listen to facts. Even opinion pieces/programmes that hugely aligned with my own views - still can't stand them. I also can't listen to radio anymore, as it now seems like just inane pointless conversation, whether its a serious debate or just some weird fluff debate. I can't attribute it entirely to Brexit but I think discourse around Brexit online, and in print definitely contributed to my attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

The bad news is that once a deal goes through, it's only the start of things. Or as Churchill put it, the end of the beginning. You'll be hearing more about the actual details and negotiations for different things for ages. Countries are so enmeshed in the EU that teasing out the different agreements and protocols could will take years.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,581 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I do feel sorry for our politicians, looks like it may be sorted so attention may turn back to their incompetence. What a wonderful distraction Brexit was for them since 2016.

Yeah but didn't they play a fcuking blinder in fairness?

They said what they wanted to get for Ireland, stuck to it consistently, and got 98% to 100% of it.

Could you imagine if all this was going on while Bertie or Brian were at the wheel? They'd have taken their few pieces of silver long ago and probably screwed the country even further.

*Did anyone see Mairead McGuinness tearing strips out of some bafoon Brexit Party MEP on Primetime last night?
    *then a few minutes later Simon Coveney pretty much hooped Miriam O'Callaghan for asking stupid questions.

Since Day 1 of Brexit, they have been clear, concise, and consistent in their tones.

Back to the OP;
    Yes, i'm watching the news more than ever because of Brexit!

six:one - every day
    Channel 4 news - most days
    RTÉ news at 9pm - some evenings (big news days)
    BBC news at 10pm - some evenings (big news days)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I am all for people being in touch with current affairs but I think Brexit gets way more news focus and priority than it should. 2 years of Brexit hype - I think people will regret spending too much time consuming it all. Hopefully there wont be another extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

I am all for people being in touch with current affairs but I think Brexit gets way more news focus and priority than it should. 2 years of Brexit hype - I think people will regret spending too much time consuming it all. Hopefully there wont be another extension.

Even if Johnson gets his vote through Parliament, that will be far from the end of the Brexit coverage.

Even if Johnson gets his vote through Parliament, that will be far from the end of the Brexit coverage.

Yeah but once the civil servants take over the nitty gritty, people's interests will wane and the news stations will calm down.

Yeah but once the civil servants take over the nitty gritty, people's interests will wane and the news stations will calm down.

i dont think so, we ll be taking about this one forever

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭SJW Lover

Has Brexit made you stop watching the news or change your habits in any way?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Yeah but didn't they play a fcuking blinder in fairness?

They said what they wanted to get for Ireland, stuck to it consistently, and got 98% to 100% of it.

Could you imagine if all this was going on while Bertie or Brian were at the wheel? They'd have taken their few pieces of silver long ago and probably screwed the country even further.

*Did anyone see Mairead McGuinness tearing strips out of some bafoon Brexit Party MEP on Primetime last night?
    *then a few minutes later Simon Coveney pretty much hooped Miriam O'Callaghan for asking stupid questions.

Since Day 1 of Brexit, they have been clear, concise, and consistent in their tones.

Back to the OP;
    Yes, i'm watching the news more than ever because of Brexit!

six:one - every day
    Channel 4 news - most days
    RTÉ news at 9pm - some evenings (big news days)
    BBC news at 10pm - some evenings (big news days)

Not that it will be acknowledged but the last 3 years has seen the Dail united in the approach to Brexit which greatly helped in any dealings the government had. Plus a promise by the main opposition party to support the government was a factor too. So tbh all the politicians as you put it played a 'blinder' . Hopefully they will put the same energy into addressing homelessness and health here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,698 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Not that it will be acknowledged but the last 3 years has seen the Dail united in the approach to Brexit which greatly helped in any dealings the government had. Plus a promise by the main opposition party to support the government was a factor too. So tbh all the politicians as you put it played a 'blinder' . Hopefully they will put the same energy into addressing homelessness and health here.

That's very important.
    We should demand the same level of effort, sensibility and pragmatism in our national government because we have seen they are capable of it.
    I'm not overly positive but I do hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Spencerfreeman

For me the water charges discussions first started to turn me off Irish news and it was the homeless that broke the camel's back and led me to avoid Irish news and Irish newspapers. I actually like the Brexit discussions by comparison.

Used to listen to Morning Ireland and Drivetime during my commutes, now it's podcasts.

Honestly my mental health feels much better for it.
    I feel the same, all the mainstream channels are now agenda driven, maybe they always were and I didn't notice.
    It's much healthier to get your info from varied sources.

I feel the same, all the mainstream channels are now agenda driven, maybe they always were and I didn't notice. It's much healthier to get your info from varied sources.

I think you ll find all sources are agenda driven

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Indeed, but by having more varied sources you will get a variety of agendas allowing you a more balanced view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,698 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Wanderer78 wrote: »

They always were, to some degree. Media owners in the past always used the platform to advocate towards their preference so again that isn't new. Also, you can't be a human capable of insightful analysis but yet be completely impartial on the subject. Question is, how well can you hide your personal views and not let them consciously or otherwise affect your reporting.

But now, with social media and the spotlight that many news reporters and presenters are under, they are routinely accused of holding a bias but it rarely is explicitly so. What is Tony Connelly's agenda when reporting on Brexit? Do we think he has an agenda? When Huw Edwards reads out the news at BBC News at ten, do we think he has an agenda?

The BBC has been accused by both sides in the Brexit debate as being rampantly biased in favour of the other, does this mean they are in fact impartial and that it is the bias of the individual which is somewhat evident?

Many and varied sources of info is indeed the best way but not everyone will try to inform themselves in this way.

They always were, to some degree. Media owners in the past always used the platform to advocate towards their preference so again that isn't new. Also, you can't be a human capable of insightful analysis but yet be completely impartial on the subject. Question is, how well can you hide your personal views and not let them consciously or otherwise affect your reporting.

But now, with social media and the spotlight that many news reporters and presenters are under, they are routinely accused of holding a bias but it rarely is explicitly so. What is Tony Connelly's agenda when reporting on Brexit? Do we think he has an agenda? When Huw Edwards reads out the news at BBC News at ten, do we think he has an agenda?

The BBC has been accused by both sides in the Brexit debate as being rampantly biased in favour of the other, does this mean they are in fact impartial and that it is the bias of the individual which is somewhat evident?

Many and varied sources of info is indeed the best way but not everyone will try to inform themselves in this way.
    I can't comment on RTE news as I can't abide their bias as illustrated by their water protest coverage, so I don't watch anymore.
    The main BBC news at is old news to me by the time they broadcast.
    They do seem to have shown bias in the brexit coverage by giving a lot airtime to fringe individuals like Anna Soubry who actually represents few politically.

I just heard about another extension. No idea why but will this shambles ever end? How can anyone care anymore? I need more podcasts...

In terms of tv, Brexit is to today what the North was to my teenager years.

Saturation tv coverage - except there's no English John Hume to come on tv every day to talk about "an eye for an eye makes everybody blind" and that "we need to find an agreement between our divided people".

England is unhappy enough now to need hope/heroes, to paraphrase Bertolt Brecht.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I just heard about another extension. No idea why but will this shambles ever end? How can anyone care anymore? I need more podcasts...

... and yet another lie we can attribute to Boris.

How many times is that now thats he gone against what he said he'd do?

NIMAN wrote: »
    ... and yet another lie we can attribute to Boris.

How many times is that now thats he gone against what he said he'd do?

I have no idea. I honestly switch over when Brexit is mentioned. I am beyond caring, I just wish it was over and we could move on.

Catch the facts and a good discussion with an intelligent Irish bloke now on you tube LBC Nigel Farage live.

Advertisement