Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marketing to SMEs and Professionals - what’s worked for you?

Options
  • 16-10-2019 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi there,

I run a private, One to One computer tutoring business (www.computertutor.ie) in Dublin and my main client base is working professionals. I’m actively using Google Ads and getting several new students through it per week, but I know there’s others out there who will never find me on google.

I’ve tried small ads in the IT - limited response though good quality leads. I’m wondering are there other publications that might be useful or would attending networking meetings be a help? Has anyone any experience? I just started this year and am busy, but summer/Christmas will be quiet and I want to be overworked for the other months!

I’m also providing training to small groups - based on exactly what they need, but not actively advertising that at the moment as the catchment (departments in companies for example) is broad and would be hard to narrow down and use marketing spend effectively. . I’m also about to mailshot small and medium law firms as I’ve worked with several and there’s a deficit of tech knowledge there.

The challenge I face is that a lot of the work can be shorter term so I need a steady stream of leads. Word of mouth is kicking in now too now that I’m established.

Any other ideas anyone has I’d really love to hear what’s worked for you?

Thank you!

Aisling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Networking events - small business associations, chamber of commerce etc.

You'll need to be discrete, and make sure that people get your contact details, because manager types won't want to admit to their peers that they need you. Possibly pitch yourself as a resource which they could use to upskill their senior staff, rather than themselves :-)

Also get to know business consultants, accountants and the like who also serve your target client base: they might be well happy if someone could managed to teach problem clients the basic of making an organised spreadsheet!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Tough business model. It's definitely a needed service, but the ability to pay isn't there, particularly in the domestic market. Or to phrase, it's not an expensive enough problem.

I'd look at different offers and markets - something like create a course specifically for a high staff turnover industry to get their new hires up to speed, etc. Maybe you've come across patterns with your previous clients where there's an opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Networking events can definitely help, so Dublin Chamber and your local Enterprise board would be obvious ones.
    In terms of print ads - depends on your budget. There aren't many print publications that would really target your potential customer base
    What are you doing around content marketing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

You could try the professional body publications like the law society Gazette, accountancy Ireland, engineers Ireland etc......but professionals More So take notice of word of mouth so it would be worthwhile asking your existing clients to recommend you

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

Lots of big firms have people who are put in charge of ongoing staff training (especially in the professions like law or accounting) and these people are usually senior people who also have client commitments of their own and may view it as a chore. Offer to take it off their hands for an hour or two and some would probably jump at the chance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement