Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best fish & chips in Dublin

Options
  • 16-10-2019 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

My go to fish and chip shop, Beshoffs in Howth is somewhat lacking these days. The chips are just about cooked and the fish / scampi are rubbery.

Can anyone suggest a decent fish and chipper anywhere in the county, preferably in a sea-side spot ?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Crabby Joe's at the start of the pier in Howth.
    Fish freshly dipped in batter. By far the best in Howth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Can't beat Burdock, Borza, Beshoffs.

Say Fish at the weekends in Dun Laoghaire is decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,351 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The Fish Shack on Dun Laoghaire East Pier, it's a mobile offshoot of a chipper along the seafront down towards Sandycove (which I've never eaten in) - although I think I might have heard recently that they're gone bust/into administration, which makes me very sad if true.

Freshly cooked fish and real chips and gorgeous tartare sauce, on a blustery day after a walk on the pier, cannot be beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,110 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Beshoffs Clontarf, assuming they have kept up the standard - unlike Howth based on OP's comment!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Caffe Caira in Howth

Edit: Actually see it's closed now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It is up for lease. Will keep updated. as and when...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The Nal wrote: »

Burdocks but even more so Beshoffs (on the canal) are miles to greasy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The Fish Shack on Dun Laoghaire East Pier, it's a mobile offshoot of a chipper along the seafront down towards Sandycove (which I've never eaten in) - although I think I might have heard recently that they're gone bust/into administration, which makes me very sad if true.

Freshly cooked fish and real chips and gorgeous tartare sauce, on a blustery day after a walk on the pier, cannot be beaten.

Completely agree with this... delicious and a real surprise from a mobile pop up truck. Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Not in Dublin as such, but the Miami Cafe in Dún Laoghaire can be hard to beat

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

uch wrote: »
    Not in Dublin as such, but the Miami Cafe in Dún Laoghaire can be hard to beat

Dún Laoghaire is very much in Dublin, unless the Brits stole it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

humberklog wrote: »

Crabby Joes was the first place that came to mind, always delicious, very big portions. Can recommend the scampi and chips.
    The Nal wrote: »

Say Fish is very good alright, love their sea salted chips.
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I was in Fish Shack Sandycove on Sunday just gone no issues, good food. There is another Fish Shack on Parliament Street in the city centre too but there is a lot to be said for eating fish and chips outdoors at the sea side :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

miamee wrote: »
    Crabby Joes was the first place that came to mind, always delicious, very big portions. Can recommend the scampi and chips.

Say Fish is very good alright, love their sea salted chips.

I was in Fish Shack Sandycove on Sunday just gone no issues, good food. There is another Fish Shack on Parliament Street in the city centre too but there is a lot to be said for eating fish and chips outdoors at the sea side :p

Myself and the wife are bikers, we'll usually ride to a sea side town on the bikes and have fish and chips for dinner. It goes part and parcel with the whole experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,110 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

D3V!L wrote: »
    Dún Laoghaire is very much in Dublin, unless the Brits stole it ;)

Dublin City hasn't stolen it back yet, so they are still independent unlike Clontarf say :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Burdocks serves pre-cooked then flash fried muck. It tastes old and soggy. The sight of that grey pre-cooked battered fish going into the fryer is enough to turn my stomach.

Either of the two fish food carts on dun laoghaire pier are great.

There is a place only open a few weeks in Blackrock market called hooked. It's very very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭scoobydude

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Beshoffs Clontarf, assuming they have kept up the standard - unlike Howth based on OP's comment!

I eat there regularly enough, I think it's fairly hit and miss sadly, because when it's good it's unreal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

Bistro on Clanbrassil street is one of the best chippers in Dublin far better than Burdocks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

Burdocks serves pre-cooked then flash fried muck. It tastes old and soggy. The sight of that grey pre-cooked battered fish going into the fryer is enough to turn my stomach.

Either of the two fish food carts on dun laoghaire pier are great.

There is a place only open a few weeks in Blackrock market called hooked. It's very very good.

Burdocks was never the same after the family sold it and it became a franchise back in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Bistro on Clanbrassil street is one of the best chippers in Dublin far better than Burdocks.

Agreed, I used to prefer the one at Leonard's Corner mind you. Both were owned by Osvaldo but he sold off the Clanbrassil St one a couple years ago. Unfortunately, the one at LC was closed down to a major accident with resulted in Osvaldo passing away and has reopened in recent months under two new owners... haven't tried it as of yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Say Fish by far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

humberklog wrote: »

Wow - really - I didn't think there was any Chippers in Ireland doing freshly battered fish!

Most are substandard in my experience - and I have tried a lot!

Those Irish Italian federation ones are the worst.

Edit - Just remembered dorans on the pier do a fresh "Lightly dusted" haddock. I don't know of ANY non Howth pier place that does freshly battered fish.

• Advertisement

Burdocks serves pre-cooked then flash fried muck.

THIS - I really don't understand why most places in Ire seem to do this.

Fresh fish and Fresh batter should be no issue for a fish shop that sells mere that 10 bits of fish/sausage/onion rings etc

Probably the most disappointing thing about Irish cuisine tbh - cheap/poorly imitation of UK chippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Fish shop in Smithfield is very nice I thought but pretty expensive

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Say Fish by far

Thats the market guys? Ye - good fish but unfortunately (for me) wedges are not chips!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

kenmm wrote: »
    Wow - really - I didn't think there was any Chippers in Ireland doing freshly battered fish!

Most are substandard in my experience - and I have tried a lot!

Those Irish Italian federation ones are the worst.

Edit - Just remembered dorans on the pier do a fresh "Lightly dusted" haddock. I don't know of ANY non Howth pier place that does freshly battered fish.

Yep. Every order. Fresh fish from the fridge, dusted in flour, dipped in a light style batter and popped into the frier.
    Chips are nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I've been wondering about this for a while.

Why is most fish in chippers not fresh and what's the normal process? Do they buy it in already battered and frozen or do they buy it fresh, then batter and fry it on mass before storing it?

Why don't they batter it freshly per order?
    Anyone know why?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 29,351 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've been wondering about this for a while.

Why is most fish in chippers not fresh and what's the normal process? Do they buy it in already battered and frozen or do they buy it fresh, then batter and fry it on mass before storing it?

Why don't they batter it freshly per order?
    Anyone know why?
    Cheers
    I'd like to know this as well.

Might start another thread for "What Chippers do ACTUAL Freshly Battered Fish n Chips?" - I'd travel (although maybe not all the way to Howth!) if I knew of some!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Pre battered is the norm , ie buy in the fish then batter it and store it for flash cooking to order ;the reasons for this are that in a busy shop the logistics of freshly battering fish are difficult bearing in mind the health and safety issue of crossover of raw and cooked food in a confined area which is frowned on by the health inspectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Airport Takeaway in Whitehall.

Pre battered is the norm , ie buy in the fish then batter it and store it for flash cooking to order ;the reasons for this are that in a busy shop the logistics of freshly battering fish are difficult bearing in mind the health and safety issue of crossover of raw and cooked food in a confined area which is frowned on by the health inspectors.

If that is the reason they give, I would think its BS.

I have worked in chippers where it is normal to batter and cook fish fresh, it takes practically no extra time.

Other countries (Most of the UK for example) do it fresh. There is no real extra logistics its a case of dip fish (sausage, burger, whatever) and fry. Raw fish goes in on one end and comes out cooked the other. Put it into the hot plate at the top of the fryer to drain and be served.

I would have though inspectors would "frown" upon the constant reheating of partially cooked food.

EDIT - I also suspect its not a case of buy in the fish and batter/store - I would guess its buy in partially battered frozen fish. Therefore giving a much cheaper product that the Irish are happy to accept. This cost reduction is the only valid reason I can see for doing it this way. Its also no coincidence that all them Irish Italian federation ones work with this substandard product - they can pull resources and buy in bulk this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Agreed, I used to prefer the one at Leonard's Corner mind you. Both were owned by Osvaldo but he sold off the Clanbrassil St one a couple years ago. Unfortunately, the one at LC was closed down to a major accident with resulted in Osvaldo passing away and has reopened in recent months under two new owners... haven't tried it as of yet.

The leonards corner one is grand, nice people

Advertisement