Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best fish & chips in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Kingfisher Parnell st is decent and freshly battered to order as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I went to crabby joes over the weekend, it was nice but I definitely wouldn't call the fish big. It was actually fairly small I thought. Nice, not amazing, but too expensive.

Starter was prawns pan fried in butter. Got about 7 or 8 very small prawns that weren't cleaned very well for €14. Fish and chips was €17. Bit pricy for the size of it and the batter wasn't great.

Total bill for 2 adults and 2 kids (3 courses each, kids 3 were off the kids menu and 2 bottles of heineken) was €115 without tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,110 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The fish in Fishshack (Malahide) is lovely. Batter isn't too thick so doesn't overwhelm the fish.

But the chips aren't really what you'd expect, they look more like 'crisps' (albeit from a real sliced up potato), and pretty small serving.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Fuscardis capel st very very good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The OP Question should read

What chippers serve fresh fish that is dipped in batter before cooking in Dublin?

its not a question of good or bad - which is completely subjective, and anyone can say anything is good or bad.

To make the analogy

When you go to a pizza restaurant - do you prefer your pizza to be freshly baked in a wood fired oven.

Or do you like a pre cooked frozen pizza that has the plastic ripped off and lashed in the microwave for 90 seconds before they serve it to you. 99% of Irish chippers do the equivalent of this when they serve a fish and chips. Including a fair few mentioned on this thread as being 'the best in Dublin'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I don't visit Dublin too often but one time many years ago I got some of the best fish and chips I've ever had at a place that was on the left hand side of the street that leads to the Chester Beatty museum from O Connell Street. It was a small enough diner/chipper type place tiled in a black and white theme if memory serves me right.

Anyone know if it is still in business? It's funny how a basic meal sticks in the mind but it was fresh goujons of cod with proper chips and it was awesome.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I don't visit Dublin too often but one time many years ago I got some of the best fish and chips I've ever had at a place that was on the left hand side of the street that leads to the Chester Beatty museum from O Connell Street. It was a small enough diner/chipper type place tiled in a black and white theme if memory serves me right.

Anyone know if it is still in business? It's funny how a basic meal sticks in the mind but it was fresh goujons of cod with proper chips and it was awesome.

OK - the Chester Beatty museum is about a kilometre from O'Connell street....

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    OK - the Chester Beatty museum is about a kilometre from O'Connell street....

Thanks for the contribution Tombo.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

You're welcome.

I was about to reply to your comment to say you were probably talking about Burdocks....but then I saw O'Connell St....

Anyway - you got a nice fish 'n chips in general city centre direction!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,351 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's true though! And there must be at least 20 eating establishments along the way (probably more tbh), which regularly go out of business and change.

If it was many years ago you're talking about, that chances of your great memory place still being there are very small.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Black & white theme on O'Connell St as you are heading southbound - more than likely Beshoffs I'd say.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    It's true though! And there must be at least 20 eating establishments along the way (probably more tbh), which regularly go out of business and change.

If it was many years ago you're talking about, that chances of your great memory place still being there are very small.

I would actually have a fairly strong view that as areas 'gentrify' that likes of the local chipper has to seriously up its game.

Apart from the chips, they generally serve a sub standard product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Including a fair few mentioned on this thread as being 'the best in Dublin'.

Continuing the analogy - I don't mind frozen pizza express pizzas... but yes cant compare it to the wood fired pizzas you would get elsewhere (usually outside Ireland, but elsewhere on the British Isles).

The best in Dublin still stands - it's still sh!te!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Stoop your head in Skerries North Dublin. Fresh fish with fresh chips. I wouldn't be able for any fish from a chipper. Burdocks, Beshoffs are all frozen. Yikes

kenmm wrote: »
    Continuing the analogy - I don't mind frozen pizza express pizzas... but yes cant compare it to the wood fired pizzas you would get elsewhere (usually outside Ireland, but elsewhere on the British Isles).

The best in Dublin still stands - it's still sh!te!

Maybe you should try Pi, Paulies Pizza, Sano, all serving top notch fresh wood fired pizza

Stoop your head in Skerries North Dublin. Fresh fish with fresh chips. I wouldn't be able for any fish from a chipper. Burdocks, Beshoffs are all frozen. Yikes

Anyone mentioning a place that sells frozen chips in a best fish and chips thread should hang their head in shame and be barred from boards.ie on principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

This probably isint the forum form it, though I just got a good deal off living social. A seafood platter + two fish & chips for 30euro.

It can be used at any of the three bricks an mortar fish shacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

gmisk wrote: »
    Fish shop in Smithfield is very nice I thought but pretty expensive

Smithfield one is closing down, Bunburb to stay open. I'd agree, good but expensive.

https://extra.ie/2019/10/27/business/irish/two-popular-irish-restaurants-announce-closures

Beshoffs used to be OK, I haven't been in ages.
    Burdocks was nearly always shíte, living off a reputation it earned a long time ago.

Maybe you should try Pi, Paulies Pizza, Sano, all serving top notch fresh wood fired pizza

You are mistaken, I was continuing the other posters analogy of frozen pizza. I have no issue with the Dublin pizza market - lots of good quality pizzas around!

Its the 3rd rate chippers I cant stand - barely a smattering of places selling fresh fish and fresh chips - half of which are restaurants, not even chippers.

You are mistaken, I was continuing the other posters analogy of frozen pizza. I have no issue with the Dublin pizza market - lots of good quality pizzas around!

Its the 3rd rate chippers I cant stand - barely a smattering of places selling fresh fish and fresh chips - half of which are restaurants, not even chippers.

I picked you up wrong. Yes I agree with you there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

If that is the reason they give, I would think its BS.

I have worked in chippers where it is normal to batter and cook fish fresh, it takes practically no extra time.

Other countries (Most of the UK for example) do it fresh. There is no real extra logistics its a case of dip fish (sausage, burger, whatever) and fry. Raw fish goes in on one end and comes out cooked the other. Put it into the hot plate at the top of the fryer to drain and be served.

I would have though inspectors would "frown" upon the constant reheating of partially cooked food.

EDIT - I also suspect its not a case of buy in the fish and batter/store - I would guess its buy in partially battered frozen fish. Therefore giving a much cheaper product that the Irish are happy to accept. This cost reduction is the only valid reason I can see for doing it this way. Its also no coincidence that all them Irish Italian federation ones work with this substandard product - they can pull resources and buy in bulk this way.

Never had freshly battered fish in a takeaway and would dearly love to see and taste it , put a name up so I can try one .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

surely there's a gap in the market for 'proper' fish and chips

surely there's a gap in the market for 'proper' fish and chips

If there is haddock or cod left in 20 yrs time its my retirement plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I presume what you get in chippers as cod (smoked or Fresh) is most likely coley or whiting.

Id like yo see a chip shop with a wider selection of fresh fish, ratter than just cod and occasionally Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I presume what you get in chippers as cod (smoked or Fresh) is most likely coley or whiting.

Id like yo see a chip shop with a wider selection of fresh fish, ratter than just cod and occasionally Ray

Its basically everything. Someone argued extensively on here that there were no non-frozen smoked cod supplies in Ireland at all so feck knows what that is.

Ingredient cost + limited demand and the looping in cost of that would mean you'd have to be running a super-premium chip shop to offer that. Most people only care about buying battered bland white fish that doesn't taste of fish.

Sure - but its my chip shop so I prefer haddock :D

(Haddock is what is normally sold in Scotland for example - its a great fish and chips) but in general there are lots of different fish - most would be better than the frozen muck

L1011 wrote: »
    Its basically everything. Someone argued extensively on here that there were no non-frozen smoked cod supplies in Ireland at all so feck knows what that is.

Ingredient cost + limited demand and the looping in cost of that would mean you'd have to be running a super-premium chip shop to offer that. Most people only care about buying battered bland white fish that doesn't taste of fish.

Full link (missing 'ml' from the end):
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/takeaways-accused-of-labelling-cheaper-fish-as-cod-26718406.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

(Haddock is what is normally sold in Scotland for example - its a great fish and chips)

my favorite too

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Hooked in blackrock have a decent selection. Cod, Haddock, calamari & scampi.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Caffe Caira in Howth

Edit: Actually see it's closed now.

I was about to post Cafe Caira. It was miles better than Beshoffs in everything except marketing.

I’m devastated to hear it’s closed. I brought many Canadian and American visitors there for a feed. Superb fish and chips.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement