Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elm Fireplaces Limerick

• 16-10-2019 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking to convert my existing fireplace and get it closed off with a fire door, something along the lines of this:

https://imgur.com/kKFuUPk

I've contacted a couple of places in limerick, one has quoted €1500 and Elm has quoted €1000 for the same job.

Regarding company that quoted €1500, I've seen their work in a friend house and it was very good.

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with Elm? €500 for the same thing is a massive difference but don't want to go with them unless I know they can do a good job properly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

You're looking for an 'Inset Stove'. Depending on the actual Model you buy (usually different Heat Output Ratings) I can't see you getting one supplied and fitted for under a Grand.
    I would ask Elm the Make/model of stove they are offering and have a google to see if it's any good.

A free-standing stove might be a better bet. There is a lot more choice, and most Forums seem of the opinion that they give out more heat.

Unfortunately I cannot comment on Elm. I fitted my own stove a couple of years ago. Not a particularly hard job, but I do a lot of DIY....and the 'net is full of info and youtube videos.

edit; just to add. I spent about €550 all-in. This included the Stove, flue liner (the two main costs), and various other bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Elm did mine and have to say excellent job no issues was a small oisin Stanley stove and they lined the chimney as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

When we were doing ours a few years ago, we looked at a number of places and eventually went with Ryans. We found them excellent.

Ours is an insert that just out slightly. There was previously a back boiler in the fireplace but we still had to line the chimney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I bought a stove and fireplace from Elm a couple of years ago. I found the customer service poor and had to chase them for satisfaction. The installation date was changed a couple of times and communications were poor.

The guy who fitted the stove and fireplace did an excellent job but I understand he no longer works there.

I had a few issues with the stove but Elm weren't interested. I eventually got the fitter to sort the problem through his own generosity.

I would NOT recommend Elm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭orm0nd

We were doing similar a few years ago in a small room with a low opening.

Ryan's priced it for an insert but and it meant we would have to do a lot ripping and repairing ourselves

Decided to ask murphys in kinvara for a quote and after sending pictures and measurements they would not fit an insert as they reckoned it wouldn't be a success.

On their advice we fitted a small stand off stove for 1500.all in

They supplied all materials and made arrangements for the installation.

The fitter was brilliant with attention to detail.

I have recommended murphys to a few friends since and their were very happy with them.

They're most likely have a backlog at this time of the year though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

You need to break the costs down for this to make sense and get any meaningful advice.

Nobody minds paying a fair and reasonable price for good work done right, so you're 100% right to seek recommendations.

How much is the inset stove? If you're paying some company €1000 and the stove itself is costing €800 then some poor fella in a van is being paid €100 out of the original €200 to drive out there do a pile of difficult/skilled work etc.

PS a family member had Ryans install a stove for €1500+ and after it was paid for and fully installed in their house yer man announced it was for wood only - Can't burn coal in it sunshine..... I'd be livid!!!!

PPS I have a Dimplex Westcott which was €400 in the Coop Superstore, its installed almost 10 years and the quality and design is outstanding, it performs beautifully giving lovely even heat for the tiniest amount of coal all day and well into the night.

Best product I ever bought - Seriously. I can't recommend the installer though as he damaged our mantelpiece during the install and was as ignorant as a pig about it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Bought and fitted one of these myself a few years back, straight forward job, and, Mr. DIY I aint :)
    https://www.borustoves.com/Doras
    Boru stoves might be able to recommend an installer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Apologies OP if you are just looking for a fire Door ( as linked to in jbkenn's post). This is just a simple 'bolt-on' Door that makes your fireplace look like a stove.
    Easy to fit, but I can't see the advantage anywhere. Practically all of the heat will go up the chimney as it seems purely aesthetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Having a nightmare of a time with Elm. Avoid avoid avoid!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

John_Mc wrote: »
    Having a nightmare of a time with Elm. Avoid avoid avoid!!

They recently installed a quartz countertop in my kitchen and did a stove granite hearth. Found them excellent to deal with and not very dear either. Workmanship was very good also.

What issues have you had?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Extremely poor communication resulting in us getting two massive holes put in our walls only to be told we didn't have to get that done until the week before Christmas because that's when they will install.

He tried gas-lighting my wife saying that he told us the dates but he absolutely did not. Very patronising and condescending to her.

Assurances that it would be sorted ASAP but it wasn't. Not returning phone calls. One week falling into the next until we're back to original date of install. They have managed it/us like this with this exact intention.

I wouldn't call them cheap either. €4000+ for a standard enough fireplace with no stove required.

Advertisement