Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can VOIP be used for a message response only

Options
  • 16-10-2019 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

Intending to withdraw from my landline contract soon and don't want to spend much on keeping the number active.

Can I switch to a VOIP provider simply for the purpose of having callers to my landline hear a recorded message advising them of my mobile number?

I'm guessing that would be cheaper than redirecting a call everytime.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Have a read of this thread...
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058003946

The gist of it seems to be that Irishvoip.com is the cheapest option to retain a number. Costs about 30 euro for a year. Then use an app/VoIP capable router to receive calls on number you currently have on landline.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Port your number to irishvoip.com
    Set up an answering machine in router or other device to give out the mobile number.
    Alternatively you can have the provider divert the calls to the mobile number for a charge.

There are other, slightly dearer providers that will give similar service.
    If you decide to divert then those costs would come into the equation, depending on the number of calls received and diverted.

You can even have calls diverted within time limits.
    Maybe you would like different responses to the calls at different times?
    That too can be done by some/most providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Thanks Ten Pin & John Boy, interesting stuff.

I think I'll try out the call diversion because I'm switching to mobile broadband so latency might be an issue but I won't be dialling out anyway.

Hoping to do everything else on the new GoMo offer by using the phone as a hotspot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks Ten Pin & John Boy, interesting stuff.

I think I'll try out the call diversion because I'm switching to mobile broadband so latency might be an issue but I won't be dialling out anyway.

Hoping to do everything else on the new GoMo offer by using the phone as a hotspot.

In general, once you port your number you can avail of all the options the new provider offers.
    So it would be prudent to check out those options before selecting the provider to whom to port the number ..... both from a cost aspect as well as options you might need in the future.

I would suggest you initially port to a provider who offers a monthly rolling contract if they come close to your requirements.
    You do not want to get stuck in a long contract while still getting things working as you wish.

Good luck with it .... and let us know who you use and how you get on. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Finally opted for an Unlimited Divert Package (to my mobile) with Goldfish

So, my business landline remains active for receiving calls yet I don't need any hardware and don't need to risk possible latency by taking / making VoIP calls over mobile broadband

All the boxes are now ticked - no more landline contract, no more fixed line broadband contract

Smiley face!

• Advertisement
Advertisement