Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man with a van?/Sofa disposal?

Options
  • 16-10-2019 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

We are getting a 'preloved' sofa next week. I have someone to deliver it to us but unfortunately he can't take the old one we have.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't know anyone with a van that could bring it to Coolmine recycling centre for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Is it in good condition or does it need to be dumped? If it’s in good condition, some charities will collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Is it in good condition or does it need to be dumped? If it’s in good condition, some charities will collect it.

No, it's not in good condition at all. All the PU has flaked off it at this stage and there is a tear in one of the cushions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I will advise you that if you are getting a man in a van to bring it to the recycle centre then accompany him there to see that it is done properly. Sofas and the like have a tendancy to fall out of white vans on their way to recycling centres and end up in ditches inside field gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jacinta086

Sorry i dont know anyone who provides this service but i believe its cheap to hire vans at ikea, if you had a license.

Combustible materials (beds, sofas, wooden doors etc.) will be accepted free of charge at Fingal County Council’s Recycling Centres for the residents of Fingal on Tuesday 22, Wednesday 23, Tuesday 29 and Wednesday 30 October (because of Halloween); https://www.fingal.ie/news/halloween-amnesty-combustible-materials-recycling-centres?fbclid=IwAR1sQXK-UlTb0EUvEXqJCArdTrkVcYs4IaqPtG4QZqPH0xuiuKUbCO459N4

Jacinta086 wrote: »
    Sorry i dont know anyone who provides this service but i believe its cheap to hire vans at ikea, if you had a license.

Combustible materials (beds, sofas, wooden doors etc.) will be accepted free of charge at Fingal County Council’s Recycling Centres for the residents of Fingal on Tuesday 22, Wednesday 23, Tuesday 29 and Wednesday 30 October (because of Halloween); https://www.fingal.ie/news/halloween-amnesty-combustible-materials-recycling-centres?fbclid=IwAR1sQXK-UlTb0EUvEXqJCArdTrkVcYs4IaqPtG4QZqPH0xuiuKUbCO459N4

Thanks for this. Had spotted it yesterday. We didn't have a van big enough but we've decided that since it's going to the recycling centre anyway we will take it apart and use a friend's small van and bring it down in loads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You have a sofa. It's halloween soon. Thousands of people around the country will have the same idea of wanting to get rid of something... you get the idea :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I had this issue once so just knocked the sofa to smaller parfs with a hammer,stuffed it into the car & took it to Coolmine.

Dont let it get burnt on a bonfire, the soft parts are toxic pollutants.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

You have a sofa. It's halloween soon. Thousands of people around the country will have the same idea of wanting to get rid of something... you get the idea :pac:

This is exactly why the council are offering to take certain items for free in the run up to Halloween - to prevent lazy, irresponsible people from just leaving an old chair/mattress/sofa lying in their front garden or nearest green space so that the local kids can acquire it for a bonfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

miamee wrote: »
    This is exactly why the council are offering to take certain items for free in the run up to Halloween - to prevent lazy, irresponsible people from just leaving an old chair/mattress/sofa lying in their front garden or nearest green space so that the local kids can acquire it for a bonfire.

But yet, it's going to happen irregardless ;)

Gaspode wrote: »
    I had this issue once so just knocked the sofa to smaller parfs with a hammer,stuffed it into the car & took it to Coolmine.

Dont let it get burnt on a bonfire, the soft parts are toxic pollutants.

I would fit the arm chairs in but not the 3 seater parts it's all broken up now and in the garden for in the morning my dad's friend is going to take them down the recycling centre tomorrow for us

• Advertisement
Advertisement