Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Broadband - Price Increase - Break Contract

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

beauf wrote: »
    Nothing he can do. You need to cancel. Then just before the 30 days up, talk to the retention team. The regular agents can do nothing.

You have to haggle like its a market stall. Just have to do that with the right person. Very immature and unprofessional how this is managed.

Thats' the point, customers are getting very tired of the exorbitant prices, annual mind numbing haggle and often insufferable agents. My VF 14 day cooling off period expires tomorrow and I'm sticking with them, very happy with the service and don't notice any real difference.

BTW: I'm still also with VM until 6th January. Will be interesting to see if they try to contact before then. I'm going to take great pleasure in.........................!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Canceled Virgin naked broadband last week and just got a call from an agent there offering 9 months at €30 and €60 for the last 3. Sounds like a good deal, but think I'm still going with Vodafone - works out at €30 cheaper for the year.

I realised as well recently that we were getting an average of around 20Mb/s download speed with Virgin because we'd been connecting via the 2.4ghz WiFi. Sometimes downloads were a bit slow alright but streaming and everything else worked fine. Changed the connection to 5ghz and download speeds shot up to around 200Mb/s, but to be honest I didn't notice much of a difference when actually using the internet.

For a house with 2 people who just stream and download as much as the average, is there really any point in paying extra for Virgin's 250Mb vs Vodafone's 100Mb? Surely with Vodafone's 5ghz WiFi will be faster or at least equal to the 20Mb/s we'd been getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Mav11 wrote: »
    Thats' the point, customers are getting very tired of the exorbitant prices, annual mind numbing haggle and often insufferable agents. My VF 14 day cooling off period expires tomorrow and I'm sticking with them, very happy with the service and don't notice any real difference.

BTW: I'm still also with VM until 6th January. Will be interesting to see if they try to contact before then. I'm going to take great pleasure in.........................!

Oh I agree with you.

I'm just pointing out how the VM childish process works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Thanks boards!

Broke my contract early and moved to Vodafone. Was near end of my 25% off Virgin 6-month offer.
    With Vodafone it's €25 for 6 months and €55 thereafter. Cheaper all round.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Standman wrote: »
    Canceled Virgin naked broadband last week and just got a call from an agent there offering 9 months at €30 and €60 for the last 3. Sounds like a good deal, but think I'm still going with Vodafone - works out at €30 cheaper for the year.

I realised as well recently that we were getting an average of around 20Mb/s download speed with Virgin because we'd been connecting via the 2.4ghz WiFi. Sometimes downloads were a bit slow alright but streaming and everything else worked fine. Changed the connection to 5ghz and download speeds shot up to around 200Mb/s, but to be honest I didn't notice much of a difference when actually using the internet.

For a house with 2 people who just stream and download as much as the average, is there really any point in paying extra for Virgin's 250Mb vs Vodafone's 100Mb? Surely with Vodafone's 5ghz WiFi will be faster or at least equal to the 20Mb/s we'd been getting.

Firstly, that's a great deal, can't see you doing any better.
    Regarding Virgin Vs Vodafone you know the Virgin product, their hard wired BB is incredibly reliable, I don't know how good Voda would be if I switched.
    For just €30 saving I'd stay with Virgin and give them another year.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

What number are you guys using for retention's and making deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

Standman wrote: »

This is the deal I’m hoping to get. I’ve just cancelled and now we play the waiting game!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

This is the deal I’m hoping to get. I’ve just cancelled and now we play the waiting game!!

I cancelled got nothing....

All I got actually was to return the equipment....

Have not had a chance yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

slave1 wrote: »
    Firstly, that's a great deal, can't see you doing any better.
    Regarding Virgin Vs Vodafone you know the Virgin product, their hard wired BB is incredibly reliable, I don't know how good Voda would be if I switched.
    For just €30 saving I'd stay with Virgin and give them another year.

Cheers, went with this in the end. :)

Just did my annual call.

Had 9 months half price last year, so knew it would be a struggle this year. Settled for upgrading to 500Mb connection with 6 months half price.

Our usage has climbed to 1.2 terabytes a month the last 6 months or so, so I knew switching to someone like Eir wasn't an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emy

Just ended the chat with Vodafone in regard with their broadband offer which I took it. I ll see how it goes in terms of speed. Anyway, I had 120mb with virgin media, for that speed I should have paid from January over 60 euro/month, is ridiculous price.....Richard Branson wants to enter into the space travel with prices, every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Hi folks,

I just had my phone call. No offers, just a straight set of instructions about waiting for an email for returning the equipment. I've been a customer for over 10 years with bb+phone.

Should I expect a call back with an offer to stay?

I'm thinking of giving them two weeks, then contact vodafone and initiate the signing up with them for 100 mb.

The price difference between the two is just ridiculous.. 390 euro a year with VF versus 744.

Ok, it's 100 mb vs 240, but I can't justify that extra cost

j4vier wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I just had my phone call. No offers, just a straight set of instructions about waiting for an email for returning the equipment. I've been a customer for over 10 years with bb+phone.

Should I expect a call back with an offer to stay?

I'm thinking of giving them two weeks, then contact vodafone and initiate the signing up with them for 100 mb.

The price difference between the two is just ridiculous.. 390 euro a year with VF versus 744.

I had around seven missed calls from Virgin Media, I ignored all of them based on my previous experience with them.
    I do not know, they might try to contact you..
    I ve also been with them for over ten years...

emy wrote: »
    I had around seven missed calls from Virgin Media, I ignored all of them based on my previous experience with them.
    I do not know, they might try to contact you..
    I ve also been with them for over ten years...

how soon after your call to cancel did they ring you?

how soon after your call to cancel did they ring you?

I would say around over a week.

Missed 3 calls of them, was told oh that's the loyalty team give them a shout back.

Hi yeah there is nothing we can do for you.

How did you cancel by email as you must ring???
    Eh that's how Yee told me to so what we're all the calls for... Eh I don't know from them.

Email then to give equipment back. Still haven't as haven't had the time to go getting it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭podge3

I went from 240 megs with VM to 60 with Vodafone and see no difference at all.

We are heavy users of broadband, mostly for streaming, but 60 megs is more than enough.

podge3 wrote: »

We are heavy users of broadband, mostly for streaming, but 60 megs is more than enough.

yes I'd be happy with 60mb as well based on my usage. Especially if I'm saving >300 quid a year

podge3 wrote: »

I switched to VF over 2 ago weeks now, from 240 VM. Line initially tested at 90 megs and I'm testing 80+ megs at times, which is better than fine. I do find that the VF router needs to be rebooted on more occasions than the VM router.

Overall, very happy with the switch to VF and the savings!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

So far so good with me too. I don't notice any difference in perceived internet speed.

The TV service is far superior, things like being able to remove channels you don't subscribe to from the TV guide are great.

• Advertisement

The engineer is set to come and install it on the 2nd of January, it is alright.
    If requires additional holes through the walls, I won't let them do it and give up. If they use the fiber cable of Virgin media instead, it will be fine.

The engineer is set to come and install it on the 2nd of January, it is alright.
    If requires additional holes through the walls, I won't let them do it and give up. If they use the fiber cable of Virgin media instead, it will be fine.

Can't use other services.

A line will be needed if not already in.

It's the existing telephone line that will be used, if there, not virgin cabling.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭9400

I used homeplugs/power line adapters to bring service from the front of the house to the tv in the living room at the back of the house. Worked a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

My guy laid a cable around skirting and under carpet. Was quite disruptive but worth it

Mav11 wrote: »
    It's the existing telephone line that will be used, if there, not virgin cabling.
    You were right, there is an Eircom telephone socket in the hallway, I forgot about it, it was hidden by shoes storage.
    The engineer came and used that socket phone line to set it up. Now i am waiting for the modem, meanwhile I have a TP-LINK AC1750 modem router, I tried to install it, but requires ADSL cable, I do not have any. I do not have power supply near in the hallway, (most of the hoses are built without power socket in the hallway, unbelievable) so the only option is to get 10 or 20m ADSL cable, does the length of the cable affects the speed? The engineer said that I am 800m far from the "fibre box"...and I will have only 30Mb speed, I will see now. If is better than three 4g hotspot, is OK.

Probably is a socket on the other side.

Drill a hole through and pass the phone line into the room with the socket. Assuming you know how to do that. We just got a phone socket fitted the other side. Just was easier at the time.

No one uses a landline in a hall anymore.

beauf wrote: »
    Probably is a socket on the other side.

Drill a hole through and pass the phone line into the room with the socket. Assuming you know how to do that. We just got a phone socket fitted the other side. Just was easier at the time.

No one uses a landline in a hall anymore.

I found the electric power supply under the stairs storage, I will fit a socket there when I have time, meanwhile I have got a 8m ADSL cable, the length is enough to fit the router in the kitchen. So unsafe is wired these houses, everywhere electric wires hanging around, outside, the main power supply cable that goes into the meter is hanging nearly close to the wall.....300 000 euro house, is a joke...

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

Almost forgot to do this, new contract with price hike goes into effect January 7th. :eek:
    Going up to €83pm for TV, phone, BB 240mb. Rang today to cancel and said only want the BB from now on, we've no need for the tv anymore (can not stand horizon), or phone. Offered €59pm, no thanks cancel.
    Offered 6 months @ €44pm, no thanks cancel. Please hold 2 minutes. Offered 9 months @ €44 then €59, happy enough to stay at that price rather than the hassle of switching and 1/3 the speed (now on naked 250 plan) and it reduces our bill by €423 as well as getting rid of that awful horizon box. Must say though if I hadn't been offered that I would have moved this time, they are getting too expensive in comparison to others, I just hope siro is available to me next year.

• Advertisement

Got offered nothing, would have stayed if they could have improved on increase.

Advertisement