Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDC World Darts Championship 2019/20

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,838 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

What day is she playing dobey And what price ?

Friday, she is 4/1 at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

She's 4/1 to beat Dobey

I think there's actually value in that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

The staggering zero self awareness from the comms was never more obvious when the comms said the 2 players now playing has a lot to follow and how they feel sorry for them

Perhaps if comms shut the **** up and gave the 2 players playing now some respect and quit mentioning the other game over and over, and started showing some respect themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Before the match Mensur had won less than 50% of games at Ally Pally, wasn't in the best of form. Fallon can do this.
    During the match when he was making a comeback he had years of experience there and was number 11 in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Dimitri wins the set with a 105 average and called great darts.....but fallons 90 average was "world class" and on a par with MVG.

do these people think before spouting their nonsense
    Her finishing was world class and also she doesn't do any gamesmanship and the likes of the roaring and carry on of Price/Smith etc.Just play the game and smile if you win and shake hands at the end.Mensur Mr nice guy when he wins but a different kind of person when beaten. Wade "the machine" on tomorrow--give me her any day over that tool--hopefully Beaton one of a handful of likeable players in the top 32 knocks him out.It's not her fault the crowd boo and sky want to make money.

• Advertisement

109 average in 2 sets for dimitri

and we are back to hear about fallons 90 average.....no sexism here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

if I find the dutch one again tomorrow will send you the link....it far better than listening to thunder thighs turner, pain mardle and the token black guy
    Hesgoal have it but thank you! I get to look at Co Stompe which is super.

Andrew00 wrote: »
    She's 4/1 to beat Dobey

I think there's actually value in that

I'd say the books will take a lot of action on that.. Wonder will they keep laying her or will she be trimmed :p?

If she shortens a lot there could be value in Dobey to win to nil. I'll have a tenner on if that happens

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Friday, she is 4/1 at the moment

Yeah the day after Stephens day. Lot of shook people around that day. It’s a afternoon session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭shockframe

The Girl Power promos will go through the roof for the rest of the week.

• Advertisement

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Before the match Mensur had won less than 50% of games at Ally Pally, wasn't in the best of form. Fallon can do this.
    During the match when he was making a comeback he had years of experience there and was number 11 in the world.

In a nutshell.. Best observation on comms bias in this thread... And there have been plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Third Round (22nd Dec-27th Dec)
    J Clayton v S Bunting
    D Labanauskas v M Hopp
    N Aspinall v K Ratajski
    J Wade v S Beaton
    K Huybrechts v D Noppert
    MVG v R Evans
    N Kurz v L Humphries
    A Lewis v D Webster
    L Woodhouse v D Van den Bergh
    D Chisnall v J de Zwaan
    G Anderson vs R Searle
    P Wright v S Asada
    S Whitlock v M King
    F Sherrock v C Dobey
    D Gurney v G Durrant
    G Price v J Henderson

Forth Round (27th/28th Dec)
    MVG/R Evan's vs J Clayton/S Bunting
    J Wade/S Beaton vs D Labanauskas/M Hopp
    G Anderson/R Searle vs N Aspinal/K Ratajski
    L Woodhouse/DVDB vs A Lewis/D Webster
    K Huybrechts/D Noppert vs N Kurz/L Humphries
    P Wright/S Asada vs D Chisnall/J de Zwaan
    D Gurney/G Durrant vs C Dobey/F Sherrock
    G Price/J Henderson vs S Whitlock/M King

QF1 (Sunday 29th Dec)
    MVG/R Evan's/J Clayton/S Bunting
    Vs
    J Wade/S Beaton/D Labanauskas/M Hopp

QF2 (Sunday 29th Dec)
    G Anderson/R Searle /N Aspinal/K Ratajski
    Vs
    L Woodhouse/DVDB/A Lewis/D Webster

QF3 (Sunday 29th Dec)
    K Huybrechts/D Noppert/N Kurz/L Humphries
    Vs
    P Wright/S Asada/D Chisnall/J de Zwaan

QF4 (Sunday 29th Dec)
    D Gurney/G Durrant/ C Dobey/F Sherrock
    Vs
    G Price/J Henderson/S Whitlock/M King

Semi finals (Mon 30th Dec)
    QF1 vs QF2
    QF3 vs QF4

Final- Wed 1st Jan 2020

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The staggering zero self awareness from the comms was never more obvious when the comms said the 2 players now playing has a lot to follow and how they feel sorry for them

Perhaps if comms shut the **** up and gave the 2 players playing now some respect and quit mentioning the other game over and over, and started showing some respect themselves

You really have an issue with Fallon Sherrock, haven’t you?

You’ve done nothing but bitch and whinge about her match since it started.

What she’s doing hasn’t been seen before in the PDC. Just enjoy it.

Faugheen wrote: »
    You really have an issue with Fallon Sherrock, haven’t you?

You’ve done nothing but bitch and whinge about her match since it started.

What she’s doing hasn’t been seen before in the PDC. Just enjoy it.

show me where I once belittled fallon ?

I have complained about the hype, the constant replays.
    The total lack of respect to the players playing now
    The booing of the crowd, the failure by the refs to do their job properly

I suggest you learn to read as I have praised fallon numerous times and if you cannot see that you are either illiterate or choosing to deliberately ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

The hyperbole of some posters here is gas. Someone actually mentioned genocide!

show me where I once belittled fallon ?

I have complained about the hype, the constant replays.
    The total lack of respect to the players playing now
    The booing of the crowd, the failure by the refs to do their job properly

I suggest you learn to read as I have praised fallon numerous times and if you cannot see that you are either illiterate or choosing to deliberately ignore it.

To be fair to Justin he’s played to ball not the women in this case. I mean her gender should be taken out of it. She has three darts just like opponent and the dart board doesn’t move and regardless of her gender if you finish like she has it tonight and Tuesday you’ll win a lot of darts matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭boomdocker

The hyperbole of some posters here is gas. Someone actually mentioned genocide!

Tis gas. Would remind you of the reaction to Greta Thunberg in a way :rolleyes:

boomdocker wrote: »
    Tis gas. Would remind you of the reaction to Greta Thunberg in a way :rolleyes:

No it wouldn’t. To be fair to the darts forum most people aren’t begrudging fallon Sherrock the win she is getting. It’s the hype and all that is staring or may be already over the top which is the problem. To be fair to fallon Sherrock she seems very nice and after she won tonight she was shocked when she went to shake the scorers hand on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    No it wouldn’t. To be fair to the darts forum most people aren’t begrudging fallon Sherrock the win she is getting. It’s the hype and all that is staring or may be already over the top which is the problem. To be fair to fallon Sherrock she seems very nice and after she won tonight she was shocked when she went to shake the scorers hand on the left.

Fair enough, that's largely true

boomdocker wrote: »
    Fair enough, that's largely true

Wouldn't you be mortified to be one of the lads out in the likes of Dublin and Cork pubs/nightclubs tonight after that. The college girls and career women will have a field day biggrin.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

shockframe wrote: »
    Wouldn't you be mortified to be one of the lads out in the likes of Dublin and Cork pubs/nightclubs tonight after that. The college girls and career women will have a field day biggrin.png
    What?

shockframe wrote: »

Start again chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

I don't really get why anyone is shocked or outraged at the 'favouritism' being afforded to Fallon Sherrock tonight and indeed through the week. The PDC/Sky corporate venture has always (well, certainly since the turn of the century when Hearn took the reins) been about making money and marketing is the be all and end all of that pursuit. No surprise at all that they pounce on the new 'history maker' and strike while the iron's hot by inviting her to NYC. Invitational PDC events are by their very nature unfair in a professional environment but this is hardly a new thing ... the biggest gravy train in the game - the Premier League - is pretty much invitational and for how many years did Barney get a slot purely because of the Barney Army? Last year's PL contenders were all 'local heroes' to get bums on seats and stoke up the atmosphere. How is that fair? It isn't but it increases revenue for PDC/Sky and the more money they got the more prize money is available to those who can get on board the gravy train and/or take their opportunity on the big stages. I'd be hugely sympathetic to the players who on merit should be getting into these events but don't make it because their 'brand' isn't good enough for whatever reason, be that gender, nationality, charisma or whatever.

Similarly, the appalling behaviour of the crowds (I can't bring myself to call them fans) is also not a new thing, and I'm sure I'm not alone in detesting that element of the corporate product for many years now. Again, I'd have great sympathy for Mensur, Ted Evetts and James Richardson for what they had to endure in this last week. They're all quality players and great sportsmen to the best of my knowledge and to see them subjected to such abuse is disgraceful to the point that I honestly feel that PDC are themselves bringing the game into disrepute. Can't blame Fallon Sherrock for that. She has played superbly and as a debutante at a world championship it's a hell of an achievement to be hitting not only those averages but also the big checkouts that have got her to where she is now. Being in that cauldron having come from the 'library' of the BDO circuit also deserves consideration, and she deserves a lot of credit for how she has just played her game without getting carried away herself by all the hype and the crowd conduct.

tl;dr? PDC is a monster, BDO is on it's last legs. Can't see either org changing any time soon so take your pick ....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,166 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It's captured the casual watcher's attention so I said I'd look in here to see what hardcores think of it all.

Some of ye sound very rattled by her and it's pathetic and hilarious in equal measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

J. Marston wrote: »

Some of ye sound very rattled by her and it's pathetic and hilarious in equal measure.

I'm guessing you haven't actually read the thread? I don't recall a single criticism of her. Quite the opposite, in fact - but many are understandably annoyed that there are 32 players left in the greatest darts spectacle in the world and the media coverage only surrounds one of them. She deserves her place but so do the other guys ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,703 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Fair play to Fallon. She's the chav poster girl

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Mensur didnt take the defeat well I think

I thought he would be smiling and be excited for Fallon but he just quickly congratulated her and walk off with a moppy face

Gentle giant???

The Fallon run is just about the best publicity the PDC and Sky could have wished for. Has anything at Ally Pally since bar maybe Smith beating Taylor in 2013 caused such a stir before Christmas?

Last year was a real changing of the guard with the departure of Taylor (Barney virtually went with him too), plus the early exits of Price and Wright and it led to a very underwhelming tournament. Great stories were thin on the ground. Looking at the young players like Ward, Rodriguez, Hopp, wouldn't fill you with confidence about the years ahead in darts. The major players in the game from the last decade like Lewis, Wade, Anderson look to be on the wane so promotion is a bit trickier than it was. Especially in darts where careers have become shorter due to touring and a major turnover of top players.

Sherrock is good PR and it is highly impressive (even more so with a record of 4 quarter final defeats at lakeside) but if/when she is knocked out the PDC/Sky would be hoping that the big names like MVG, Price, Wright or even Humphries/Kurz will be left standing and then the hype will transfer over to the big names.

Sherrock is worthy of a place in the last 32 and we'll hear all about it the next week but once the latter stages start taking shape the attention will turn elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Delighted for her, and can't understand what some folks issues are. Hope she can go further, and with a nearly 70% checkout percentage, whoever plays her next will be nervous.

I honestly can't understand the negativity, surely if the darts are good enough, that should be enough. Stop getting wound up by sky promos, as soon as she gets knocked out they will stop quick enough. A lot of posters here sound pretty insecure about a woman beating (easily) a top ten player.

Any of the negative posters have anything to say about her hitting 11/16 doubles?
    .... Nope just whinging about sky, and the crowd, and commentators bias. Not looking at their own bias? No one is crowning her, she's clearly not going to bother the quarter finals with a 90 avg, but we can admire something we have never seen happen before.

• Advertisement

The PDC and Sky have milked it and rightfully so.
    I get the media attention, twitter buzz etc and Fallon herself deserves it.

But repeating it over and over during the darts to the people who are already watching is ridiculous. We get it she won, fair play to her, but showing highlights in between the sets of other players is disrespectful
    Mentioning it non stop whilst another game is going on is disrespectful to the players on the oche.

By all means advertise on sites, facebook twitter etc, but when the game is over and a new game has begun, those next players deserve to have their moment.

As for booing by the crowd and the lack of intervention by the refs, and the double standards by those morons on comms, were that a woman being booed there would be uproar.

Advertisement