Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDC World Darts Championship 2019/20

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Mensur didnt take the defeat well I think

I thought he would be smiling and be excited for Fallon but he just quickly congratulated her and walk off with a moppy face

Gentle giant???
    He shouldn't have to be happy for someone who beats him, especially when the crowd have been against him from the walk-ons, all pre-match attention has been on his opponent and he's lost £12K on his ranking in a game he would have expected himself to win. That result (In my opinion) has ended what slim chance there was of him being in the premier league too.

He has every right to not be happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Wade and Mensur were 2 players the "experts" of mardle and mason were saying were in danger of not being in the PL
    Mensur probably killed his chance, and as for Wade he came out and said he does not want to be in , does not expect to be in, and wont be disappointed as he rather be at home with his wife and kid.

Of course the "experts" of madle and mason said .,..get this...Cullen could be a contender....
    Smith was a definite choice...yes the same smith who sulked his way out first match.
    White was another who the experts said should be included.

And Mardle who said wade should not be in because of his tv form, said Ando should be in and when asked about Ando's tv form being so bad, he then said tv form does not matter.

Speak about contradicting yourself.

Wade and Mensur were 2 players the "experts" of mardle and mason were saying were in danger of not being in the PL
    Mensur probably killed his chance, and as for Wade he came out and said he does not want to be in , does not expect to be in, and wont be disappointed as he rather be at home with his wife and kid.

Of course the "experts" of madle and mason said .,..get this...Cullen could be a contender....
    Smith was a definite choice...yes the same smith who sulked his way out first match.
    White was another who the experts said should be included.

And Mardle who said wade should not be in because of his tv form, said Ando should be in and when asked about Ando's tv form being so bad, he then said tv form does not matter.

Speak about contradicting yourself.
    What 9 would you have in it? MvG, Price, Cross and Smith are all in for being top 4 I'm fairly sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Plenty of players have been booed undeservedly over the years. They are pros, it's not something I agree with, but honestly, at this stage it seems a bit precious to think a major dart winner can't cope with a bit of booing. I'm sure there is a lot more pressure on Sherrock than any of the players she's faced.

People can say it is just the sky hype they are bothered with, but reading the last 4/5 pages of comments, it comes across as something a little different.

What 9 would you have in it? MvG, Price, Cross and Smith are all in for being top 4 I'm fairly sure.

Personally I think the premier league might be nearing the end, darts fans aren't that interested in a non Knockout format, and there doesn't seem to be the depth to sustain 10 man tourney, are people seeing it for the exhibition that it is?

Ratings will decide it's future i suppose.

• Advertisement

He shouldn't have to be happy for someone who beats him, especially when the crowd have been against him from the walk-ons, all pre-match attention has been on his opponent and he's lost £12K on his ranking in a game he would have expected himself to win. That result (In my opinion) has ended what slim chance there was of him being in the premier league too.

Totally agree with this, and it does make me wonder if her next opponent will perhaps try to rattle her a bit more, big reactions, crowding, rushing, pressuring... If you want to treat everyone the same, surely they must be thinking it. It would not be a good look for sure, but equal opportunities and all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

180's update:

The crucial days did not go in our favour, we are potentially in danger of not reaching 800, as it stands at this point in time.

Now tracking a bit more than slightly behind the total after day 9 last year (incl. for reference to the 880 scored last year).

Cum. Max Poss. Sets Date Played Sets Won Legs Won Tourn. 180's Per Set Tourn. Legs Per 180 %Max Sets Played Total 180s Scored Daily. 180 per Set Daily. Legs Per 180
    20 13-Dec Day 1 17 77 1.7059 2.6552 85% 29 1.7059 2.6552
    60 14-Dec Day 2 31 137 1.7292 2.5783 80% 54 1.7419 2.5370
    100 15-Dec Day 3 32 141 1.7500 2.5357 80% 57 1.7813 2.4737
    120 16-Dec Day 4 14 53 1.7979 2.4142 78% 29 2.0714 1.8276
    160 17-Dec Day 5 34 151 1.7813 2.4518 80% 59 1.7353 2.5593
    200 18-Dec Day 6 31 128 1.7233 2.5073 80% 46 1.4839 2.7826
    240 19-Dec Day 7 36 155 1.7436 2.4765 81% 66 1.8333 2.3485
    280 20-Dec Day 8 33 144 1.7456 2.4774 81% 58 1.7576 2.4828
    320 21-Dec Day 9 29 127 1.7626 2.4570 80% 55 1.8966 2.3091
    Total ~ ~ 257 1113 1.7626 2.4570 80% 453 ~ ~

Vs Same Period Last year

Cum. Max Sets Date Played Sets Won Legs Won Tourn. 180's Per Set Tourn. Legs Per 180 %Max Sets Played 180s Daily. 180 per Set Daily. Legs Per 180
    320 21-Dec Day 9 252 1059 1.8333 0.4363 79% 462 ~ ~

11 of the top 20 max hitters have been knocked out; having scoring 113 maximums (25% of the total). We have seen more legs/sets, but unfortunately the 180's dont seem to be forthcoming in these "extra" legs/sets.

As it currently stands; with that 180 rate of 1.7626 180's per set played:

If all matches from here end up 3-0 legs and X - 0 Sets we have:
    135 sets left; returning a tournament total of 392 Sets and 691 180's.

If all matches from here end up 3-2 legs and go the distance (excluding tie-breaks) we have:
    239 sets left; returning a tournament total of 496 Sets and 874 180's.

Mid point of the extremes has us at:
    187 sets left; returning a tournament total of 444 Sets and 783 180's.

Sportingindex: middling the market at 864 (Buy 858; Sell 870).

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

going on the presumption it will be 9 and contenders as opposed to a straight ten

MVG, Price, Cross, Ando, Gurney, Wright would be six bankers. smith will be possibly as a top 4 banker dependent on results...so thats 7.

Aspinall could be a cert with a run
    durrant might get the nod
    or a spot for whatever this years surprise player to get a good run....could see Dimitri get a spot if he reached the last 4.

The next week results will dictate a lot now

going on the presumption it will be 9 and contenders as opposed to a straight ten

MVG, Price, Cross, Ando, Gurney, Wright would be six bankers. smith will be possibly as a top 4 banker dependent on results...so thats 7.

and a spot for whatever this years surprise player to get a good run....could see Dimitri get a spot if he reached the last 4.

Love her or hate her, Comercially, Sherrock has to be seriously considered by the PDC, (more likely she'll get a Sky Wildcard).

Healio wrote: »
    Love her or hate her, Comercially, Sherrock has to be seriously considered by the PDC, (more likely she'll get a Sky Wildcard).

We already had one muppet on here who stupidly thinks i have something against sherrock and the girl has done well.

BUT as well as she has done, the only reason she would get a spot is because or her sex, not ability, as 90 averages would not get a man in on that alone.

• Advertisement

We already had one muppet on here who stupidly thinks i have something against sherrock and the girl has done well.

Dont think I mentioned you having an agenda, whether you do or not; I don't care, thats your business.
    BUT as well as she has done, the only reason she would get a spot is because or her sex, not ability, as 90 averages would not get a man in on that alone.

I'd agree, but as I said commercially, she is the closest to filling the Barney "gap" for the PDC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

If she plays it right,she could earn a mill or two without ever winning anything in the PDC,I'll just tune out of the hype and watch the darts.. she can play,seems cool enough up there,a new face,nice to see more women involved,in fact if women were getting 90+ averages all the time the sport would increase massively publicly , worldwide,TV. .. the men who scoot along never doing anything so long as they make a living might have to try a bit harder if they are being beaten by the girls now.

I just don't want the women getting preferential treatment to the detriment of a male player,simply because it's a woman, earn your preferential treatment by being great at darts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

The reason people are saying lads are gotten to here is because they’re complaining about everything else surrounding Fallon Sherrock without outright saying “Yeah I just think it’s weird seeing a girl beat a guy.”

Sky over-hyping a big darts story? Nothing new.
    The PDC crowd booing players? Nothing new.

These are all standard parts of modern darts in 2019. There may have been some merit in giving out about them back when the BDO was a viable alternative, but the war has been won, the players themselves have decided the PDC is the only show that matters and that’s the way they want darts (boos and all), and enough time has past for you to make a decision on whether you want to accept this or not. It’s kinda like complaining about the offside rule in football tbh. This is how things are now, we all know this, the players know this too and made a near-unanimous decision that they’re happy to proceed with those circumstances so it’s a dead issue. So to resurrect it just because Fallon Sherrock, who’s USP is that she’s a woman if you haven’t heard, happens to be the thing they’re focusing on because it undoubtedly IS the big story of these Worlds so far...looks a bit off and raises questions.

I’ve zero issues with the boos myself. They’re good-natured and not nastily intended at all, Mensur Suljovic is generally a well-liked player. Players can plan around them too so it’s not coming out of the blue (whereas if boos where racially charged or something else, I’d feel for the player). And, as stated, they’re not just a part of the modern game so if players don’t adapt that’s on them. As for Sky’s coverage, that’s literally what they do and darts is the one sport they can actually have men vs women which is a great attraction they can use to draw new fans because it’s something everyone can get into. In a post-Taylor and Barney world, they need stuff like this to keep it going. And last night showed that Sherrock wasn’t just a fluke by beating the 11-seed convincingly so now it’s actually justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,112 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I've enjoyed watching Fallon Sherrock. She has played some great darts and her finishing, last night in particular has been a joy to watch. She said she worked on her finishing between the first match and last night and it showed.

I'm not saying the quality is poor, but myself as a casual fan normally picks and chooses what matches I tune in for this stage of the championship - I've made sure I've tuned in for the Irish lads, Durrant and of course Sherrock. So for that reason the addition of the women has been good.

I get some of the criticism of Mardle, he talks some crap at times but it's harmless. He did go a bit crazy with the whole pretending Sherrock hit a 9 darter carry on, but could you imagine she did - she's had two runs of six perfect darts from memory.
    In fairness to him, before the last match of last night he was asked how you follow that - and he bluntly said neither of those players give a damn about the Sherrock result they are just here to play their game.

As for the crowd, they are terrible at times but what can you do? I know they were asked for order in Sherrock's first game - but they seem the type that would get worse if pulled on it. In fairness to Sherrock she has done well considering the difference between the atmosphere of the BDO and PDC but then again they've not been on her back. Some of the others thrive on the atmosphere, some even enjoy winding them up. Mensur let it get to him too much, I don't think he got as harsh a treatment as Ted?

As for the crowd, they are terrible at times but what can you do? I know they were asked for order in Sherrock's first game - but they seem the type that would get worse if pulled on it. In fairness to Sherrock she has done well considering the difference between the atmosphere of the BDO and PDC but then again they've not been on her back. Some of the others thrive on the atmosphere, some even enjoy winding them up. Mensur let it get to him too much, I don't think he got as harsh a treatment as Ted?

This. It’s part of the game now and players have to adapt, some are clever enough to adapt to make it work for them too. For example: there was one stage (it could have been match darts) when Mensur missed D20 and D10 then took a big pause before going for D5, where the crowd just got louder and heaved at him. That was a really poor move because he just left the door wide open for them to get into his head further. He made a balls of the next shot and wouldn’t have done any worse had he just ploughed through the boos. That’s on him, not the crowd or her. The one proven way to ensure you don’t get distracted is to just zero in, play your game and bore the crowd by being the clear superior player. Mensur looked apologetic when he’d hit some doubles because it was somehow ‘mean’ to beat the girl the crowd wanted to win.

Now she’s a proven threat, players should respect her as such and be cut-throat. This is how they feed their families in the limited window they have to make big money, it’s not their job to facilitate history. Granted for Evetts and Suljovic, it’s a new phenomenon and you could see them totally overwhelmed especially when she started taking out those big 3-dart finishes to add to the pressure. It must be so weird getting booed just because you have a penis. But her next opponent has had ample warning and the Christmas break, so there’s zero excuse if they don’t adjust and prepare for it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭klose

On the crowd booing, it's the first time I've realised players with ear plugs in this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

King and Barney used them for years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

King used to get boo'd non stop, way worse than what is going on at the moment

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

When you have mentioned nothing about the Darts she had played and just whinged about Sky and actually belittled her scoring average and said nothing about her 70% checkout rate, this ‘muppet’ has every reason to believe you have an agenda against her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I for one salute our new Fallon overlord (lady?)

She did very well, crowd on her side helps her as well as affecting Mensur but the fact remains she played better darts than him and hit some excellent finishes as well as scoring well.

I don't see the whole glass ceiling bollocks that Rod Studd couldn't blurt out quickly enough when she beat Evetts though. It's a dart's match and she won, fair and square. However as we've often commented on, darts doesn't always lend itself to providing endless topics of debate like football so whenever there is the slightest opportunity they grab it with both hands (unless it's controversial of course).

With this they have gone to town on the coverage and hyperbole and it's actually a little bit demeaning that little Fallon with her hair clips and painted nails could go out there and beat those big burly men at darts. If they want 'change' then don't treat it as being different but being normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

Bob Harris wrote: »

She did very well, crowd on her side helps her as well as affecting Mensur but the fact remains she played better darts than him and hit some excellent finishes as well as scoring well.

I don't see the whole glass ceiling bollocks that Rod Studd couldn't blurt out quickly enough when she beat Evetts though. It's a dart's match and she won, fair and square. However as we've often commented on, darts doesn't always lend itself to providing endless topics of debate like football so whenever there is the slightest opportunity they grab it with both hands (unless it's controversial of course).

With this they have gone to town on the coverage and hyperbole and it's actually a little bit demeaning that little Fallon with her hair clips and painted nails could go out there and beat those big burly men at darts. If they want 'change' then don't treat it as being different but being normal.

The funny thing is they keep talking about when it becomes at some point just two good darts players playing

two seconds later the same person will make a moronic remark like you mentioned.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Bob Harris wrote: »

It is ‘different’ though, that’s the thing. Before this we had never seen a woman beat a man in the PDC, and for her to do it again is remarkable.

Next year is when you would see it becoming more ‘normal’ because it won’t be anything new.

It’s the exact same if a complete underdog was to beat MVG in the early rounds. They’d go to town on that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

in some ways she was under major pressure last night so her doubling ratio was great , 11 from 16 and to score heavy at the right moments , its a wonderful story and f*** the begrudgers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

I’m ashamed to say I’ve been reeled in by the sky hype

Ive invested 10e in sherrock 😖😖

Collected and invested 20e on her to be dobey

Roll the Sherrock train !!!! I’ve been converted to a fan

Faugheen wrote: »
    It is ‘different’ though, that’s the thing. Before this we had never seen a woman beat a man in the PDC, and for her to do it again is remarkable.

Next year is when you would see it becoming more ‘normal’ because it won’t be anything new.

It’s the exact same if a complete underdog was to beat MVG in the early rounds. They’d go to town on that as well.

Yep. They did the same hype machine when Kirk Shepherd went on a run to the final a few years back. Same with Rob Cross (though that only became notable from his SF and was diluted by the fact it was also Taylor’s last WC). It’s standard practise for any sport on TV really, although Sky are a bit more in-your-face with darts because it’s the bells and whistles that make the TV aspect of the sport so popular.

But we pretend that never happened and it’s only because it’s a woman so we can create a problem with it without saying “I don’t like this because it’s a woman.” :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

My lord there is some rubbish being spouted in here. Ask any darts fan and they will tell you they couldn’t really give a toss who is playing as long as it’s entertaining. The current coverage is painful and condescending though

Of course that means that I’m a blatant sexist who just wants to get a jibe in at women

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭boomdocker

MrKingsley wrote: »
    My lord there is some rubbish being spouted in here. Ask any darts fan and they will tell you they couldn’t really give a toss who is playing as long as it’s entertaining. The current coverage is painful and condescending though

Of course that means that I’m a blatant sexist who just wants to get a jibe in at women

Hit the nail on the head there, epsecially regarding the coverage which is not good

Don't generally knock the comms and contributors as I'm sure it's not a simple job, but Mardle is really getting under my skin this year with some of the nonsense he talks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭boomdocker

or a spot for whatever this years surprise player to get a good run....could see Dimitri get a spot if he reached the last 4.

Agree with all that - hope Aspinall does get on a run and gets in - I think he's a player who can really rise up the rankings, is young and appears hungry

Durrant - yes, although would prefer to see one of the younger lads get a chance
    Of those younger lads - I think Dobey, de Zwaan, Max Hopp, DvdB are all potentially vv good players just currently lacking consistency. Was impressed with Hopp in particular last year in the german darts masters where he won

With RvB now gone, surely they will put in a Dutch/Belgian/German player to satisfy the continental audience?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Sherrock 4/1 for the PL.

• Advertisement

I mostly agree with you. While there's contrasting opinions about whether the Premier League is a major tournament or a showcase, the truth is kind of in the middle because of the PDC and Sky's treatment of it.
    For legitimacy reasons I think that last year's top four should be in it - therefore I'd have Wade.
    If Anderson wants to play it I'd have him in, otherwise maybe Chizzy or Duzza? The same applies for Wade, I'd have one of those two replace him. There's a lack of star power and I'm scraping the barrel with those two.

1. MvG
    2. Price
    3. Cross
    4. Smith
    5. Anderson OR Chizzy/Duzza.
    6. Wright
    7. Gurney
    8. Wade OR Chizzy/Duzza.
    9. Aspinall

Keane Barry and Fallon Sherrock nailed on as contenders too.
    I know this is slightly off-topic, feel free to critique me.

Advertisement