Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Issue with References?

• 16-10-2019 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hello,

The company where I recently worked at has a policy where the prospective employer would need to email my old company for a reference, i.e. I have no name or contact from my old company to put on the CV bar an email, which I would expect to look strange? Just wondering if there is a remedy for this, assuming it makes sense?

While, I am here, what is the current consensus on showing references on a CV? Only provide contacts on request, or show anyway?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I wouldn’t ask my previous employer ie the company for a reference other than to confirm the dates/position from when I worked there.

If the prospective employer wanted a personal reference I’d give them a name and number of a previous manager to contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭blinkwink

I wouldn’t ask my previous employer ie the company for a reference other than to confirm the dates/position from when I worked there.

If the prospective employer wanted a personal reference I’d give them a name and number of a previous manager to contact.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I should have been clearer. I contacted my old company for a contact to put on my CV in the case that the prospective employer needs a reference. This is where I can only put an email on my CV for that company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

blinkwink wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry I should have been clearer. I contacted my old company for a contact to put on my CV in the case that the prospective employer needs a reference. This is where I can only put an email on my CV for that company.

Leave it off then.

If they ask for references they’ll want someone who knows you and can give you a personal reference.

If they just want to confirm the dates you works there just give them the email address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

No need to put referees on a CV.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

blinkwink wrote: »

Don't put references on your resume. You just PO your references and they might decide to not give you one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You seem new, so I'll lay it out for you.

Every recruitment agency that has no work for you whom you send your CV to, will contact your references to fill your old position. They may even drop your name.

So when you get someone ringing them to clarify your reference, they'll be ignored.

Only give your reference to a company that has interviewed you, and want to give you a job.

Advertisement