Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

New Home wrote: »
    You're better off asking either Eir or GoMo.
    No, I'm not unfortunately.

Gomo do not sell phones themselves so have no knowledge (or concerns) about this issue.
    Eir simply say that their phones are locked to the Eir network.
    Seeing as Gomo is a subsidiary of Eir, uses the Eir network, and uses the same 085 prefix as Eir it appears that in most cases an Eir-locked phone will accept a Gomo Sim. However a couple of posters in this Thread have apparently had issues with using a Gomo Sim in an Eir phone.
    Hence why I asked the question here....hoping that somebody who experienced this issue might see it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    No, I'm not unfortunately.

Gomo do not sell phones themselves so have no knowledge (or concerns) about this issue.
    Eir simply say that their phones are locked to the Eir network.
    Seeing as Gomo is a subsidiary of Eir, uses the Eir network, and uses the same 085 prefix as Eir it appears that in most cases an Eir-locked phone will accept a Gomo Sim. However a couple of posters in this Thread have apparently had issues with using a Gomo Sim in an Eir phone.
    Hence why I asked the question here....hoping that somebody who experienced this issue might see it.

That's why I was suggesting asking them - it's not only phone-related, it's network related, and you can always ask Eir what you need to do to unlock it if needs be. Eir would be the best ones to tell you if that specific phone would work on their sister network. People here have had mixed experiences, so you most likely wouldn't be able to get a definite answer here.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm about to hit the Buy Now button on a Huawei from Eir. I just want to confirm that an Eir-locked phone will work with a Gomo Sim.
    I found a couple of cases here where people with an Eir phone had issues trying to use a Gomo Sim.
    Just hoping for a definitive answer....as Huawei unlock codes are usually up around €40 for phones locked to Irish networks.

I'm 100% certain Eir-locked phones work with GoMo SIMs as GoMo uses Eir's MNC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

If possible, can you find the posts that suggested problems with Eir handsets on Gomo?

The MCC and MNC are the parameters normally used to restrict network access on handsets. Gomo and Eir use the same MCC/MNC so in theory Eir handsets should work on Gomo. To restrict handsets further would require Gomo to block Eir handsets at a network level based on some other parameter such as IMEI.

It's doubtful gomo are doing that as it would require extra IT staff to set up and Gomo are a bare bones operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 vagdt

Hi All, I changed to GOMO a few months ago and ive noticed the coverage is not great while driving through certain areas but im not expecting a whole lot for €10 a month. I bought a fitbit watch recently and have been doing a lot of running, as the fitbit uses the GPS from the phone ive noticed there seems to be an issue with the tracking of my runs (location/pace/distance) I've put my GOMO sim card into other spare phones i have around the house just to rule out an issue with the phone but still the same. I then tried my work phone which is on 02 and it works perfect. I am just wondering if anyone else is having any similar issues with GOMO and fitness devices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭DopeTech

vagdt wrote: »
    Hi All, I changed to GOMO a few months ago and ive noticed the coverage is not great while driving through certain areas but im not expecting a whole lot for €10 a month. I bought a fitbit watch recently and have been doing a lot of running, as the fitbit uses the GPS from the phone ive noticed there seems to be an issue with the tracking of my runs (location/pace/distance) I've put my GOMO sim card into other spare phones i have around the house just to rule out an issue with the phone but still the same. I then tried my work phone which is on 02 and it works perfect. I am just wondering if anyone else is having any similar issues with GOMO and fitness devices?

Maybe gomo doesn't have as good signal in the area as 3 does. I've been with them since October, no issues so far. Every network will have different weaker spots in different areas but I'm yet to run into an issue related to coverage/speeds. I noticed the speeds dropped around the time the lockdown started but even with that no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

Looking to port my mother over from Eir to Gomo.

Currently the package she has includes Landline Broadband and Mobile with Eir.

When porting I get four options as below:

1) Prepay (Registered)
    2) Prepay (Unregistered)
    3) Post-Pay (Single Line)
    4) Post-Pay (Multi-Line)

Ruling out options 1 & 2 as she is not Pre-Pay; I am unsure as to which option to take out of 3 & 4.

So there is only one mobile number on the account which would lead me to Option 3 Single line.

Now the landline and broadband is on the account does this technically classify the account as multi line Option 4 ?

I know from personal experience when I ported my mobile before Christmas and lost it for 3 months due to a failed port.

Just looking to get the correct option before porting to avoid the hassle I had.

Has anyone had any experience with this specific situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭yermanhimself

Looking to port my mother over from Eir to Gomo.

Currently the package she has includes Landline Broadband and Mobile with Eir.

When porting I get four options as below:

1) Prepay (Registered)
    2) Prepay (Unregistered)
    3) Post-Pay (Single Line)
    4) Post-Pay (Multi-Line)

Ruling out options 1 & 2 as she is not Pre-Pay; I am unsure as to which option to take out of 3 & 4.

So there is only one mobile number on the account which would lead me to Option 3 Single line.

Now the landline and broadband is on the account does this technically classify the account as multi line Option 4 ?

I know from personal experience when I ported my mobile before Christmas and lost it for 3 months due to a failed port.

Just looking to get the correct option before porting to avoid the hassle I had.

Has anyone had any experience with this specific situation?

Go with option 3

Have you gone with this yourself or is this a guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭yermanhimself

Have you gone with this yourself or is this a guess?

I did when I ported from 3.

It is correct for you because you are bill pay for a single number - it has nothing to do with the package you are paying for,

• Advertisement

Cheers Thanks for that buddy appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

Switched back to GoMo today.
    Doing a few speed tests and getting on average 3 Mpbs.
    I had GoMo before when it came out first and the speeds were great back then.
    Anyone else finding poor speeds tonight in the Dublin city area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Speed depends on the load on the cell mast that you are going through.
    Moving even a short distance can change the mast and thus the load.
    The joys of 4G wireless :(

I'm very lucky to be on a very lightly loaded mast and get very high speeds of 70 down and 25 up.

There are 2,736 masts in the greater Dublin city area.

You can see them on a map view them on the siteviewer:

https://www.comreg.ie/industry/radio-spectrum/site-viewer/siteviewer/

Time of day can also effect how fast the connection is.

So very hard to judge.

That said, GoMo have brought a lot of customers to the Eir network
    so overall loads could significantly increased especially at busy times of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

kn wrote: »
    I went over the 80GB limit Sunday and it seems as if they have increased the speed for going over the limit in line with their agreement with the government for extra bandwith. Its only about 1Mbps download but is at least usable. Your not going to be streaming in HD with it but compared to last month when it slowed down to a trickle taking ages to open a webpage then it is at least an improvement and usable.

PS youtube at the 480 setting is fine for streaming.

Can anyone else confirm that the speed once you reach the 80gb limit is now useable?

I hit the limit a few months ago and as you say it was not useable at all so have been trying to stay under every month now.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

Hi folks. Help required. Ported over last week and put the GOMO sim in this evening. No calls or texts as it says INVALID SIM CARD. NETWORK LOCKED SIM CARD INSERTED. I have typed in the PUK code to no avail. What should I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mackcracknsack

Coolaboy wrote: »
    Hi folks. Help required. Ported over last week and put the GOMO sim in this evening. No calls or texts as it says INVALID SIM CARD. NETWORK LOCKED SIM CARD INSERTED. I have typed in the PUK code to no avail. What should I do.

Is you phone unlocked i.e. can take a sim card for any network, or is it locked to the network you initially bought your phone from?

Thanks for your reply. Bought it from 3 so possibly with them. How would I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mackcracknsack

I would assume it is locked to Three if you purchased from them. Best way to check is by trying a sim card from another network, which is what you have done.

You can contact three to request a phone unlock. You will need your IMEI number for this request. You will get this by dialling *#06* as if you are making a phone call.

Follow this below link.
    https://www.three.ie/unlock-my-phone/

It may take a few days, so you may be without a phone for a little while.

When did you purchase the phone?
    I know some carriers want you to have either topped up by a certain amount or had the phone for a number of billing cycles?

I hope they sort it for you quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Only a network unlock code will resolve this. Either request from Three or buy a code on eBay if price is reasonable.

Do not use any other codes as it could lock it up completely and render it unusable.

What phone is it?

• Advertisement

It's a samsung galaxy.

It's a samsung galaxy.

What model? E.g S10, a20,j6?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Mother-in-law has dreadful internet ads connection. She’s on a crappy old line and rarely gets above 1.5Mb/s. Thinking about getting her a 4g router - she’s 800m from a meteor mast. The only issue would be losing her landline. I see GoMo charge 30c per minute for VOIP calls. Can I just use a different provider like Goldfish or will GoMo still charge on top of that?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

VOIP calls, 076 numbers is it? Well they are included in their unlimited calls now

Hi folks. Paid the 20 euro and got the galaxy unlocked and GOMO up and running. Any solution to stop the phone looking for the SIM unlock 4 digit code every time?

Hi folks. Paid the 20 euro and got the galaxy unlocked and GOMO up and running. Any solution to stop the phone looking for the SIM unlock 4 digit code every time?

You need to go into 'Settings' and then 'Security'. You'll find an option there for SIM lock. It might be under 'More Settings'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Aquos76 wrote: »
    VOIP calls, 076 numbers is it? Well they are included in their unlimited calls now

Ideally I’d port her landline to a voip service provider. Didn’t realise voip calls were included now. That’s handy.

remoteboy wrote: »
    Ideally I’d port her landline to a voip service provider. Didn’t realise voip calls were included now. That’s handy.

From 1 December last by order of Comreg, along with 1850, 1890 & 0818 calls. 076, 1850 & 1890 numbers are to be phased out by 1st January 2022. All VOIP numbers from then on will be standard geographic numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

remoteboy wrote: »

I expect your mother would then receive calls to her "landline number" on the voip service and she wold make calls on her GoMo mobile package and not on the voip service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

reni10 wrote: »
    Can anyone else confirm that the speed once you reach the 80gb limit is now useable?

I hit the limit a few months ago and as you say it was not useable at all so have been trying to stay under every month now.

Same again for me this month. The same type of usable quality. Just no HD streaming. It was the likes of the RTE player that was really eating my 80GB. But it still plays at a lower quality at the 1Mbs download and streams fine on youtube at the 480 setting. Grand for normal use just not for HD streaming.

Advertisement