Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Nope,

Full speed in beginning
    Three subsequent sims showed no difference
    But other GoMo sims in the dual sim phone ran full

Pure and simple throttling

My Huawei phone has different wireless electronic circuits for SIM 1 and SIM 2 - one circuit runs up to 4G and the other is 2G/3G only so completely different transfer rates. I expect other phone are similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

pg17 wrote: »
    My Huawei phone has different wireless electronic circuits for SIM 1 and SIM 2 - one circuit runs up to 4G and the other is 2G/3G only so completely different transfer rates. I expect other phone are similar.

Apart from the fact I swapped all sims over and back to phones and slots that were achieving full speed.

They will throttle you

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭gaming_needs90

Does anyone else have terrible voice quality with gomo? Calls just cutting in and out, terrible qos. The data has been fine for me but the call quality over the past year has been poor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Apart from the fact I swapped all sims over and back to phones and slots that were achieving full speed.

They will throttle you

Not doubting you at all, but it is very strange. I never assume malevolence when sheer incompetence will do. Especially with telcos.

I went over the old 80GB quota one month and thought they might throttle me but next month it was grand.

Did you go over the fair use data cap once or a number of times?

Seems to be account related.

If you open a new account does the throttle go away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mailforkev

My phone is showing 5G today, just noticed it.

2-D419-B08-E8-DE-4427-A6-C9-6-C3210-A5502-E.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭DopeTech

mailforkev wrote: »
    My phone is showing 5G today, just noticed it.

A christmas miracle!

Does anyone else have terrible voice quality with gomo? Calls just cutting in and out, terrible qos. The data has been fine for me but the call quality over the past year has been poor

Yes.
    A year though? That’s not a good sign as a new customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Daibheid

I’m having data speed issues with my GoMo account and want to move my number which is easy except I want to retain the account (number unimportant) as a backup.
    Can anyone figure a way to keep the account while porting my number elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I’m having data speed issues with my GoMo account and want to move my number which is easy except I want to retain the account (number unimportant) as a backup.
    Can anyone figure a way to keep the account while porting my number elsewhere?

Order another SIM on that account and move the first number.

But IMO it's a bit of waste of 12.99 per month for a backup. There are other simpler ways to have a backup SIM, depends what sort of backup usage is required, IMO Vodafone is the best option for a backup SIM...5euro every 6 months and use credit when/if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Order another SIM on that account and move the first number.

But IMO it's a bit of waste of 12.99 per month for a backup. There are other simpler ways to have a backup SIM, depends what sort of backup usage is required, IMO Vodafone is the best option for a backup SIM...5euro every 6 months and use credit when/if needed.

I think another SIM comes as a replacement with the same number as you can only have one number per email account.

Good point on VF for basic back up and I use it for an alarm system but it won't give you decent data. Also I have the 9.99 GOMO deal and want to try keep it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I think another SIM comes as a replacement with the same number as you can only have one number per email account.

From FAQs...
    How many SIMs can I have on my account?

You can now have up to 4 GoMo SIMs on one GoMo account. Unfortunately there is no way to merge 2 accounts at this time but will let you know if this changes in the future.
    Remember, if you have the €9.99 a month for life plan and you cancel this from your account you will not be able to get your €9.99 plan again and you may lose your number

https://gomo.ie/manage-use-my-account/

Good point on VF for basic back up and I use it for an alarm system but it won't give you decent data.

5GB add-on for 5e isn't huge but if it's only a backup it's not too bad. They also have 20GB add-on for 15e.

Depends on usage, YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭briN_s

Hi, has anyone been having issues with their GoMo sim recently? I have had a setup working for the past few months in a Huawei E5577 wifi hotspot. On 31st Dec it stopped working, saying No Service on the screen of the router. I tried changing the APN as described earlier in this thread, but no success. When I put the sim card in a phone I can make calls, use data etc.

Does anyone know if GoMo have changed any settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

I've exactly that setup (GoMo SIM in a Huawei B525), no problems to report & haven't touched it since the initial configuration. Based in Cork city so might be different in your neck of the woods of course.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Try to switch to aeroplane mode for a few mins, for some reason this seems to have helped quite a few people.

New Home wrote: »
    Try to switch to aeroplane mode for a few mins, for some reason this seems to have helped quite a few people.

Im not aware of airplane mode on the router. Or do you mean put in airplane mode when in the phone, then put sim back in router?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Sorry, I misread, I thought you were tethering through the phone. But yes, it's worth a shot. Leave it in aeroplane mode for a couple of mins, switch it back on and put it back into the router. Or use the phone for thethering, instead of the router.

Thanks, im using the phone for tethering at the moment, but its not giving the same speed or WiFi range as the router

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭lolie

I've noticed the speeds have decreased where i live since i signed up in 2018, probably just that more people in the area have signed up since.
    Done a speed test on the way to Cavan town a few weeks ago and got 152mb download on 4g near Crosskeys.
    https://www.speedtest.net/result/a/6860035984

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

lolie wrote: »
    I've noticed the speeds have decreased where i live since i signed up in 2018, probably just that more people in the area have signed up since.
    Done a speed test on the way to Cavan town a few weeks ago and got 152mb download on 4g near Crosskeys.

I'm noticing this also in the past few weeks. I live in a 'very' isolated area and at a certain outdoor location I oft times speed check I always got 60Mb download up until the last couple of months. Now it's consistently ~30Mb. While I'm doubtful it's anything to do with take-up due to my location and the consistency of the tests, I'd probably bank more money on it being a local mast issue than some widespread throttling. However, due to Covid reasons I haven't checked any other mast.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

At the moment, I wouldn't advise people to swap to GoMo - eir have pretty much the same plan for €9.99 / month and offer WiFi calling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭lau1247

lolie wrote: »

Have the same issue about 2-3 months ago.. West Dublin.. noted that it is really struggling in the Kitchen, never really a problem prior to that. Now it is hit and miss even on 4G. Have messaged them to query whether there is a issue locally but never got the response.

Being upstairs helps a lot (Probably better signal) but still can't really explain why it worked well before and recently not. Presumably more people using it I guess.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

jdon72 wrote: »
    At the moment, I wouldn't advise people to swap to GoMo - eir have pretty much the same plan for €9.99 / month and offer WiFi calling

That 9.99 Eir deal is only for existing Eir customers though, and also only a 12 month offer

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Aquos76 wrote: »
    That 9.99 Eir deal is only for existing Eir customers though, and also only a 12 month offer

Sorry, didn't realise it. Nonsense that it doesn't say that anywhere on the page (not that I can see anyway)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

jdon72 wrote: »
    Sorry, didn't realise it. Nonsense that it doesn't say that anywhere on the page (not that I can see anyway)

Yeah, its easily missed ok

Screen-Shot-2021-01-06-at-23-53-50.png

Screen-Shot-2021-01-06-at-23-54-13.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

lau1247 wrote: »
    Have the same issue about 2-3 months ago.. West Dublin.. noted that it is really struggling in the Kitchen, never really a problem prior to that. Now it is hit and miss even on 4G. Have messaged them to query whether there is a issue locally but never got the response.

Being upstairs helps a lot (Probably better signal) but still can't really explain why it worked well before and recently not. Presumably more people using it I guess.

I was same and I was with EiR prior to gomo. Even places that had great reception before, now had no service. Jumped ship from gomo, couldn't take it any more

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Apologies if already asked, can I hot-spot off my gomo sim. I've been with them from the start €9.99 per month deal, I use very little data as I use 3 WiFi at home but it's gone to ****e over the past few weeks. At the same time go mo data speeds have increased dramatically, previously not great but calling perfect. I live quite rural, Just wondering is there additional charges for hot spoting? thanks

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Apologies if already asked, can I hot-spot off my gomo sim. I've been with them from the start €9.99 per month deal, I use very little data as I use 3 WiFi at home but it's gone to ****e over the past few weeks. At the same time go mo data speeds have increased dramatically, previously not great but calling perfect. I live quite rural, Just wondering is there additional charges for hot spoting? thanks

As far as I am aware there is no charge for hotspotting (or even a way for GoMo to know you are hotspotting). I have had my GoMo sim in a WiFi router for months without any extra charges, even when downloads went up to the fair usage limit. I have had some issues with WiFi router recently, so back to hotspotting from a phone now and no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

Yes of course. I've two SIM's one of which has been in a 4G router since I got it over a year ago, it has never done anything but serve as a hotspot!

briN_s wrote: »
    As far as I am aware there is no charge for hotspotting (or even a way for GoMo to know you are hotspotting). I have had my GoMo sim in a WiFi router for months without any extra charges, even when downloads went up to the fair usage limit. I have had some issues with WiFi router recently, so back to hotspotting from a phone now and no issues

Perfect, that's the answer I was hoping for, appreciate that :)

• Advertisement

opus wrote: »
    Yes of course. I've two SIM's one of which has been in a 4G router since I got it over a year ago, it has never done anything but serve as a hotspot!

Perfect, thanks for that, appreciated :)

Advertisement