Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

Good to know. Anybody seeing it in Cork city, don't have a 5G phone myself to try it out. It's using it for broadband I'd be really interested in but 5G routers are too expensive to just get one as a test, hopefully they'll drop in price as 5G gets more widespread.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Looks like they have throttled speeds back to 100mb as I have definitely been getting higher speeds a few weeks ago

4614-D9-EF-0780-4139-BBC3-6-B6434-B7-C822.png

6-AE9-E3-D8-A114-4-CF6-A3-B4-8-C449773-A43-D.png

Must better speeds on 4G than 5G it seems. This was a speed test done on WIT main campus in Waterford City this afternoon

E56-C60-C6-8-C1-F-41-A2-A384-7-A3353385-FC1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭POBox19

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Must better speeds on 4G than 5G it seems. This was a speed test done on WIT main campus in Waterford City this afternoon

E56-C60-C6-8-C1-F-41-A2-A384-7-A3353385-FC1.png

Looks like a WiFi connection not 4G.

Sorry it’s just that I took the screenshot when I was home, have a look at the screenshot again and it clearly states LTE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

LTE-A (4G+) is theoretically capable of up to 1Gbps

https://www.4gltemall.com/blog/lte-lte-a-and-lte-a-pro-evolution/

5G is great but there's a lot of marketing built in to push handset sales.

Eg Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 4G version is capable of 600Mbps download (CAT 12)
    https://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/f53f5370

It may not be necessary to buy a 5G handset (yet) as 4G handsets are capable of very fast speeds already (depending on handset specification).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Looks like they have throttled speeds back to 100mb as I have definitely been getting higher speeds a few weeks ago

4614-D9-EF-0780-4139-BBC3-6-B6434-B7-C822.png

6-AE9-E3-D8-A114-4-CF6-A3-B4-8-C449773-A43-D.png

Anytime I ran the test on my old Note 20 Ultra and now on my S21 Ultra it never ever went over 100 Mbps when I had the 5G in the top right hand corner. I always use the fast.com site, would that have a limit?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭cjc0101

I last used eir bill-pay in Northern Ireland and was roaming from Newry to Omagh, people will know a lot of that journey is rural, I'd family emergency so spent most of the time on calls, EE was perfect, was also using data for Google maps to find our way around hospital carparks, buildings etc, to hotel accommodation/carparks/access etc. Not sure but think I roamed on o2uk in underground car park & 3uk in lift, though I was busy at the time so didn't pass much heed, once I saw signal&data.

I ran another Speedtest on 5G yesterday afternoon, full bars of 5G signal and again it topped out at 102mb, so I switched back to 4G in mobile settings and ran the test again and this time I got 252mb while connected at 4G. Eir have really improved their network around Waterford City these last few months.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

enonboy wrote: »
    Hi there-anyone know if gomo will give us 5G even if it’s extra?

They changed their tune in a year....suprised they turned on 5G on for gomo, thought they'd keep it exclusive to the dearer eir plans.

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/eir-gomo-5g-huawei-broadband

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

I'm getting " The server at my.gomo.ie is taking too long to respond. "

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭POBox19

Diairist wrote: »
    I'm getting " The server at my.gomo.ie is taking too long to respond. "

Seems ok. Just try gomo.ie

Thanks, I got in.

The chat function isn't working now...

Diairist wrote: »
    Thanks, I got in.

The chat function isn't working now...

And now I can access it all - just a glitch? Thanks for reply. Chat function still not working.

Onward & upward *rolling eyes*

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bazrushe

I cant get 5g on gomo where im situated even though there is a good eir 5g coverage.Any settings i need to adjust or they might not have it activated yet in my location.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭feargantae

Any official mention of them activating 5G for GoMo or is it just a fluke?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I’ve 4G at home but have found a couple of local 5G areas by accident, Foxrock village is one of them.

I’ve started getting several spam calls from “U.K.” numbers recently, asking for me by name. Couldn’t figure it out then read about the recent Fastway data breach, so that’s probably the cause of it. Very annoying.

Edit: literally as soon as I submitted this message, I got a spam call from “Tunisia”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭KildareP

JTMan wrote: »
    GoMo website updated now with a countdown to 31 March.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Looking at the faqs. Existing customers will not be effected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

I suspect that a 5G package is on the way. Perhaps with an intro flash offer.

Ilad (same owner as Eir) recently introduced a 5G package.

It's theoretically possible that they might introduce 2 plans, one with a lower price with capped data and one with a higher price with 5G with unlimited data.

RTE's article says prices are increasing but the press release says...
    GoMo’s updated price point from April 2021, for new customers only, will be announced in the coming weeks.
    https://gomo.ie/last-updates/

The "new customers only" suggests it could be a lower price...maybe that's clutching but why mention it if it's a higher price...existing customers aren't going to opt for a higher price anyway.

If it is an increase then it's an odd move given Clear Mobile is 12.99 and 48 is 10.99 and Eir market share (which includes Gomo) dropped in Q4 2020 (only by 0.2% but it's still a drop).....unless they're offering benefits that really are worth extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LimerickLad64

Have been unable to access any Mobile Data services (in vicinity of Greystones, Co. Wicklow) for the past couple of days. 4G network is showing available and have been receiving and making calls. Device settings all appear to be turned on and I've also switched the device off and on but no joy. Anyone else experiencing issues with Mobile Data?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

It looks as it will be an increase to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭feargantae

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    It looks as it will be an increase to me.

I'd say they're splitting it up into packages. Eg 100GB, ult calls+txts for €9.99 or current price and truly ult data, calls+txts +5G for €14.99.

Take a look at Iliad.it and they've packages like this. They're the same company as eir

I don’t think they’ll be a €9.99 package again, if there was, those on the €12.99 would jump on to that. Also, I do t think 5G is all it’s cracked up to be either, maybe they are just throttling the 5G speeds currently but for the last month they are maxing out at 103mb for me, while switching back to 4G in same locations have given me speeds of 250mb, here’s two examples from a couple of weeks ago, same mast and one is 5G and other is 4G.

A1-E768-C6-9-FEF-4380-BB24-3-FF787-C76-F87.png

B8-A81-D5-A-FCC5-45-CB-9128-A441-A5-E1-CA14.png

Adrian Weckler
    Eir’s GoMo to end €12.99 a month ‘for life’ offer for new customers.

= 48 and Clear Mobile will also raise prices in coming months.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/1372846364590235652

IIUC he's speculating that 48 and Clear will follow suit with price increases....seems like an unusual conclusion to reach given that 48 price increased in February and Clear is only 2 months since launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

I don’t think they’ll be a €9.99 package again, if there was, those on the €12.99 would jump on to that. Also, I do t think 5G is all it’s cracked up to be either, maybe they are just throttling the 5G speeds currently but for the last month they are maxing out at 103mb for me, while switching back to 4G in same locations have given me speeds of 250mb, here’s two examples from a couple of weeks ago, same mast and one is 5G and other is 4G.

A1-E768-C6-9-FEF-4380-BB24-3-FF787-C76-F87.png

B8-A81-D5-A-FCC5-45-CB-9128-A441-A5-E1-CA14.png

Anywhere I have been able to get 5G it never goes over 100Mbps. I am usually on the LUAS and stopped at a stop (Blackhorse always shows 5G) so I use www.fast.com.

Cheers,
    M

February 11 2021
    The telecoms boss also says that discount mobile operator GoMo won’t get a price increase...
    https://www.independent.ie/news/were-all-really-sorry-eir-to-hire-more-customer-support-staff-as-complaints-continue-40079108.html
    March 24 2021
    The price will be going up so don't miss out on GoMo for €12.99 a month, for life!
    https://twitter.com/gomoireland/status/1374712369222463492

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

The quote in the article says No plan for a price increase at this time".

Plans change I guess.

At least it is new customers that will be charged more while existing get to keep the lower rates.

Beats the hell out of the more traditional lure them in with cheap offer then screw your loyal customers as much as you can model so beloved of most telecoms providers.

It is pretty obvious this is a "get it quickly before it runs out" strategy to try and generate more sign-ups, it certainly worked well for them with the initial offering.

Advertisement