Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

I changed address recently and at my new address my Gomo broadband was mostly non existent so I got fibre high speed broadband. However I discovered during the week my Gomo signal has dramatically improved and I'm getting 130 Mbs download speeds.
    There is a monopole around 100 yards from my house, there is no mast on it, at least what I would call a mast. However there is a very small attachment to the pole 2/3 of the way up. See pic.
    Is this a mast does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    It looks as it will be an increase to me.

Any increases in prices are for new customers only, in essence the initial two set price offers "for life" ending for new customers, the €9.99 ended months ago. So new customers will have a different price plan.

Only short of go mo ceasing operations (highly unlikely) can they touch for life plans. I'm on the €9.99 offer and hell will freeze over before they change my contractual agreement.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

lighthouse wrote: »
    I changed address recently and at my new address my Gomo broadband was mostly non existent so I got fibre high speed broadband. However I discovered during the week my Gomo signal has dramatically improved and I'm getting 130 Mbs download speeds.
    There is a monopole around 100 yards from my house, there is no mast on it, at least what I would call a mast. However there is a very small attachment to the pole 2/3 of the way up. See pic.
    Is this a mast does anyone know?

That’s a monopole alright, the object in the picture is a GPS receiver.

The top contains the panels in an Alpha Wireless canister

https://alphawireless.com/product-category/product-family/canister/

The pole itself is made by Delmec I think. That mast very likely has optical backhaul so assuming it’s not a congested and have implemented things like carrier aggregation, 256QAM and 4T4R you should certainly be able to get in excess of 100mb. I’m not sure if a 5G radio will in those canisters though.

Cork981 wrote: »
    That’s a monopole alright, the object in the picture is a GPS receiver.

The top contains the panels in an Alpha Wireless canister

https://alphawireless.com/product-category/product-family/canister/

The pole itself is made by Delmec I think. That mast very likely has optical backhaul so assuming it’s not a congested and have implemented things like carrier aggregation, 256QAM and 4T4R you should certainly be able to get in excess of 100mb. I’m not sure if a 5G radio will in those canisters though.

Thanks very much for that. I actually suspected the mast might have been in the top part as it's thicker than the bottom 2/3 of the pole. Great Gomo reception so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

lighthouse wrote: »
    Thanks very much for that. I actually suspected the mast might have been in the top part as it's thicker than the bottom 2/3 of the pole. Great Gomo reception so :D

It’ll likely improve again later in the year after the Comreg multiband award assuming Eir grab up some spectrum.

• Advertisement

Here you can clearly see the thicker top part.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Chiarrai92

This has probably been asked many times before but I can't seem to find it.

Are calls to EU country's from Ireland covered under the unlimited calls?

And if they are not, is there a add on that can be purchased monthly that includes eu calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Chiarrai92 wrote: »
    This has probably been asked many times before but I can't seem to find it.

Are calls to EU country's from Ireland covered under the unlimited calls?

And if they are not, is there a add on that can be purchased monthly that includes eu calls?

https://gomo.ie/wp-content/uploads/mobile_pt12.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Hi. Does anybody know if standard GoMo account (I signed up from the start at 9.99) covers free calls to Northern Ireland landlines? Thanks

whodafunk wrote: »
    Hi. Does anybody know if standard GoMo account (I signed up from the start at 9.99) covers free calls to Northern Ireland landlines? Thanks
    DopeTech wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭feargantae

whodafunk wrote: »

Landline calls to the North of Ireland are regarded as local calls by all networks as long as you drop the 028 prefix for 048.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Chiarrai92

I get that. Iv read that file many times before coming here and that's why I'm confused. Particularly by this line

Unlimited minutes and SMS allowances where applicable are subject to a fair usage allowance of 45,000 minutes and 10,000 SMS. Minutes and SMS apply to usage within the
    Republic of Ireland and EEA zone countries

Does that mean calls to Irish landlines and networks are covered upto fair useage from EU country's but calls to EU country's from Ireland are not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Does that mean calls to Irish landlines and networks are covered upto fair useage from EU country's but calls to EU country's from Ireland are not?

Yes.

When in ROI, calls to ROI numbers included.

When in ROI, calls to non-ROI numbers NOT included (except for NI landlines with 048 prefix).

When roaming in EEA, calls to EEA numbers included (includes calls to ROI).
    9. If I travel and call or text a friend, do I have to worry on which operator he/she is or whether it is a fixed or mobile?

No. When you are roaming in the EU, all calls to mobile and fixed numbers in the EU will be counted against your national volume of minutes (or will be unlimited if you have unlimited calls at home), exactly as if you were calling within your home country. If you have distinct so-called ‘on-net’ and ‘off-net’ volumes in your national bundle, all the roaming minutes may be all deducted from the off-net volume, and also when you call another subscriber of the same domestic operator while roaming.

For example: If you have a Belgian card and you travel to France and call either a hotel in France, back home to Belgium, or to any other country in the EU and the EEA, you are roaming (refer to legal text on the regulation on roaming) , and you will pay Belgian internal domestic prices (refer to legal text).

However, if a Belgian SIM card holder calls from Belgium to Spain, she/he will pay the international tariff. Calls from home to another EU country are regulated by the intra-EU communication caps.
    https://digital-strategy.ec.europa.eu/en/policies/roaming-qa

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭whodafunk

feargantae wrote: »
    Landline calls to the North of Ireland are regarded as local calls by all networks as long as you drop the 028 prefix for 048.

Thank you for that. The number I have is actually 048. Good tip good to know. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

My Vodafone contract ends on 8th May.

I was thinking of signing up to GoMo today or tomorrow to lock in the 12.99 price. I'm confused over what dates I should select though for moving over - if I picked 30 April example, how does that work?

Do they send me a SIM with a random number, and then on 30 April my current Vodafone SIM is no longer working and I put in the GoMo SIM which would now have switched to my current number?

Sorry, its been well over a decade since I've changed providers.

My Vodafone contract ends on 8th May.

I was thinking of signing up to GoMo today or tomorrow to lock in the 12.99 price. I'm confused over what dates I should select though for moving over - if I picked 30 April example, how does that work?

Do they send me a SIM with a random number, and then on 30 April my current Vodafone SIM is no longer working and I put in the GoMo SIM which would now have switched to my current number?

Sorry, its been well over a decade since I've changed providers.

Just order a sim today with a new number on it. Don't select that you want to keep your number. Then whenever you get the sim you can go into my gomo and set up the move then to replace the number they gave you while keeping the plan. Even if you moved your number over in 6 months it would still work.

Don't cancel the Vodafone one, just port over, once you are out of contract they won't penalize you. If you cancel and let 30 days lapse then you will lose the number. If you receive the sim on Friday you can set the port to happen on the 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mcaleb1

Hello,
    Can you use gomo for a teenager's phone. It seems to preclude u18s from joining but I, the parent, will be paying the bill. Do I just put his name down and change DOB to over 18.
    Thanks,
    Barnes

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

mcaleb1 wrote: »
    Hello,
    Can you use gomo for a teenager's phone. It seems to preclude u18s from joining but I, the parent, will be paying the bill. Do I just put his name down and change DOB to over 18.
    Thanks,
    Barnes

Thays should work, can't see how they'd ever know.

Presumably not allowed under 18s as it's entering a contract (technically).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mcaleb1

Thays should work, can't see how they'd ever know.

Presumably not allowed under 18s as it's entering a contract (technically).

OK, I presume that is the same as going with a bill pay contract with Vodafone. So all u 18s that have phones technically should not as per contract rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Just order a sim today with a new number on it. Don't select that you want to keep your number. Then whenever you get the sim you can go into my gomo and set up the move then to replace the number they gave you while keeping the plan. Even if you moved your number over in 6 months it would still work.

Don't cancel the Vodafone one, just port over, once you are out of contract they won't penalize you. If you cancel and let 30 days lapse then you will lose the number. If you receive the sim on Friday you can set the port to happen on the 9th.

Thanks, I'll do that.

Are phones still locked to Networks these days? Wondering if I'll have to ask Vodafone to unlock this one before a GoMo SIM would work.

• Advertisement

Just sign up in your own name and give the SIM to the teenager.

Gomo allow multiple SIMs (up to 4) per account but there's only one account holder so it doesn't matter if the person using the SIM isn't the same person who pays the bill.

In theory...
    Dad is the account holder
    Mam pays the bill
    Son / daughter uses the SIM

All gomo care about is that the bill is paid.

Are phones still locked to Networks these days? Wondering if I'll have to ask Vodafone to unlock this one before a GoMo SIM would work.

If it was supplied by Vodafone, then it's locked and Gomo SIM won't work without an unlock code. Request the code from Vodafone now, don't wait until the contract is about to expire.

You'll need another phone to test out Gomo until the phone is unlocked.

Thanks, I'll do that.

Yes they are in most cases when bought from the networks. If you could get a lend of a sim from another network from someone to pop into your phone for a minute it would either work or ask you for a network unlock code. Since you are on billpay they will give it to you but they could take anything from a day or two to a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭spuddy4711

There may be a delay in getting it unlocked. Buying a phone from a network provider may be cheaper
    than the same phone from a manufacturer, but you could be expected to stay with the network for
    a certain length of time, or a minimum amount spent.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

€12.99 offer extended till 8 April...

€12.99 offer extended till 8 April...

For anyone considering ordering today, wait until tomorrow to be certain you won't be charged for March.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Apologies if this has been answered already. I received my Gomo sim today and want to move from VF to Gomo keeping my number. What's holding me back is in the early days people were having problems receiving two stage texts, is this still happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been answered already. I received my Gomo sim today and want to move from VF to Gomo keeping my number. What's holding me back is in the early days people were having problems receiving two stage texts, is this still happening?

It’s pot luck according to others on here. It’s kinda like the Eircom Bill databases, some customers were on a completely different billing system. You could be alright like me or #####d like others. Schrödinger's SIM card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

" two stage texts"

What do you mean?
    I have seen no problem with texts on GoMo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Gooser14

CoBo55 wrote:

I've not had a problem with it. I ported my number from Three.

Advertisement