Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭CoBo55

paddy19 wrote: »
    " two stage texts"

What do you mean?
    I have seen no problem with texts on GoMo.

I'm assuming you're talking to me in that pleasant fashion. I mean the text you receive as part of the 2 stage verification logon process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I'm assuming you're talking to me in that pleasant fashion. I mean the text you receive as part of the 2 stage verification logon process.

Dunno about 2 stage but recently having problems receiving texts from banks authorising deductions, and a group text a friend sent Thursday hasn't reached me yet. The last one he sent a few days prior took 5 hours

Dunno about 2 stage but recently having problems receiving texts from banks authorising deductions, and a group text a friend sent Thursday hasn't reached me yet. The last one he sent a few days prior took 5 hours

Thanks for that it really seems to be pot luck, are you long with gomo? What network did you port from? Has it only started happening?
    Sorry for all the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

No problem with Google, Amazon, banks etc.

Was there a specific application you are worried about?

paddy19 wrote: »
    No problem with Google, Amazon, banks etc.

Was there a specific application you are worried about?

Thanks for replying, Ulster Bank, credit union and mygovid would be the ones I use most frequently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Thanks for replying, Ulster Bank, credit union and mygovid would be the ones I use most frequently.

I ported from Vodafone day one. Have had no problem with verification codes, including MyGovid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Thanks for that it really seems to be pot luck, are you long with gomo? What network did you port from? Has it only started happening?
    Sorry for all the questions.

That's the main point...it's pot luck...or bad luck if it doesn't work and Gomo won't fix it.

IMO it's a good idea to have a backup PAYG SIM in a spare phone (or ideally in a dual SIM phone) for 2FA SMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

I've had no problem with any of these on GoMo.

jrmb wrote: »
    I've had no problem with any of these on GoMo.

Thanks. I've a few days left on my VF credit I'll port over before it ends and see how it goes, if it goes belly up I'll port back to VF.

Thanks. I've a few days left on my VF credit I'll port over before it ends and see how it goes, if it goes belly up I'll port back to VF.

If you port from Gomo after 8th April, the 12.99 deal won't be available.

• Advertisement

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Thanks for that I'll schedule the port tomorrow evening and see how it works out.
    Scheduled the port for Wednesday at 13:00, I'll see what happens after that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Hold on a sec - could the op not top up the current GoMo number at the current offer and port later on? I don't think that would affect the offer, would it?

Hold on a sec - could the op not top up the current GoMo number at the current offer and port later on? I don't think that would affect the offer, would it?

The problem they could have is 2FA SMS with Gomo. If it doesn't work correctly they would need to port from Gomo back to VF (or any other network) to get 2FA functional again (because Gomo won't resolve it). Once they port from Gomo the SIM deactivates and account closes (if it's a single user account). They can sign up again to Gomo but if that's after 8th April the 12.99 plan won't be available.

They could also add a second SIM at 12.99 before 8th April and then port from Gomo with the VF number and still have one SIM with Gomo at 12.99.

Overall it's a bit of a maze to negotiate, all because Gomo can't be relied upon to fix 2FA problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

New Home wrote: »

I am in a similar situation - I have a GoMo SIM since the original offer at 9.99 per month and did not port my number from 3. I plan to port the 3 number later in April and expect to continue on the GoMo 9.99 rate.

Why would I not be able to do this i.e. Port later in April and still benefit from the original price of 9.99 ?

Does anybody think there is a time limit on porting to retain the original price of 9.99 ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Exactly, so, first test the 2FA sms with the new GoMo number - if that works, then port. Or am I missing something obvious?

I am in a similar situation - I have a GoMo SIM since the original offer at 9.99 per month and did not port my number from 3. I plan to port the 3 number later in April and expect to continue on the GoMo 9.99 rate.

Why would I not be able to do this ?
    Does anybody think there is a time limit on porting ?

You will keep the 9.99 price after porting your number to Gomo, nothing else changes.

But if you ever leave Gomo, you wouldn't be able to rejoin at 9.99. Similar to leaving 3, if you were on a legacy plan with 3, you can't rejoin 3 on that plan. For example anyone who left 3's 20e keep credit plan can't get that plan any more as it's replaced with another plan with different benefits.

The posts discussed above refer to porting to Gomo and then porting out from Gomo if there's any problems, specifically with 2FA. The cut off date of the availability of the 12.99 price (8th April) is the complication.

pg17 wrote: »

Why would I not be able to do this ?
    Does anybody think there is a time limit on porting ?

See, my reasoning would be that you shouldn't have a problem - you're still the same customer with the same "contract", it's only the number that changes. But it might be best to get it in writing from them via the chat function...

Exactly, so, first test the 2FA sms with the new GoMo number - if that works, then port. Or am I missing something obvious?

2FA with the 085 number could work perfectly but a ported 087 number might not work due to potential problens arising from routing database errors after porting to Gomo.

Gomo should be able to fix any routing database issues, but they don't.

Overall, not many have an issue but anyone who does are ignored by Gomo.

That won't work because it's my VF number that the text will be sent to which I know is working. When it ports over on Wednesday I'll try the sites in question and let everyone know how it works out.

You will keep the 9.99 price after porting your number to Gomo, nothing else changes.

But if you ever leave Gomo, you wouldn't be able to rejoin at 9.99. Similar to leaving 3, if you were on a legacy plan with 3, you can't rejoin 3 on that plan. For example anyone who left 3's 20e keep credit plan can't get that plan any more as it's replaced with another plan with different benefits.

The posts discussed above refer to porting to Gomo and then porting out from Gomo if there's any problems, specifically with 2FA. The cut off date of the availability of the 12.99 price (8th April) is the complication.

If 2fa doesn't work I wouldn't be coming back so for me personally it wouldn't be a problem.

• Advertisement

2FA with the 085 number could work perfectly but a ported 087 number might not work due to potential problens arising from routing database errors after porting to Gomo.

Gomo should be able to fix any routing database issues, but they don't.

Overall, not many have an issue but anyone who does are ignored by Gomo.
    Gotcha. Ok, that makes sense, now.
    That won't work because it's my VF number that the text will be sent to which I know is working. When it ports over on Wednesday I'll try the sites in question and let everyone know how it works out.
    I understand, my idea was to temporarily change the n for the 2FA, but Ten Pin clarified that.

I haven't had any trouble with 2FA texts on GoMo, but could you use an Authenticator app as a workaround?

I haven't had any trouble with 2FA texts on GoMo, but could you use an Authenticator app as a workaround?

What's an authenticator app and how does it work? just in case I run into problems.

@New Home - I think you replied to my post which I since updated to clarify that my questions were about retaining the originla price of 9.99 rather than concerns about the 2FA sms.

I think 2FA sms works with all GoMo SIMS as long as they keep the original number and that the issue arises only in limited cases after porting.

From other threads it appears that the issue arises when the HLR (Home Location Register) record on the number's original network is not updated fully and so the sms messages are cannot be routed fom the original network to the GoMo network.

When I port, my HLR on the 3 network should be updated to show I ported to GoMo and if this is done correctly, 2FA will work. If it is not updated correctly and 2FA does not work, I would try to resolve the issue with 3 rather than with GoMo. This is what others did successfully and why GoMo say everything is OK on the GoMo side.

Home > Topics > Technology & Internet > Consumer Electronics > Mobiles > GOMO network and failure to receive SMS
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058029113

Probably answered already, is it €12.99 per calendar month and not every 4 weeks like I'm paying now on VF PAYG?

What's an authenticator app and how does it work? just in case I run into problems.
    I didn't know about them until recently but Google and Microsoft both have their own. Basically you twin the app with your accounts (Google, Outlook.com, Amazon, Facebook and Twitter all work with it). It generates a six-digit, single-use access code for each account every 30 seconds (It's simpler than it sounds). Whenever you sign in to Facebook, you enter your username and password. Then, instead of waiting for the text, you enter the code from your Authenticator app.

Even if someone finds out your code, it's valid for 30 seconds at most and they would still need your username and password.

Probably answered already, is it €12.99 per calendar month and not every 4 weeks like I'm paying now on VF PAYG?
    I'm charged on the same day every month, so it must be per calendar month.

I'm charged on the same day every month, so it must be per calendar month.

Perfect, it's a good saving over VF PAYG. Hopefully it'll go well.

It is for the calendar month from 1st of the month until the last day of the month. The bill is issued in the first few days of the next month and direct debit collected 7 days later.

• Advertisement

Port seems to have gone smoothly I lost mobile data at the time I'd scheduled and I just left it alone until a few minutes ago put in the GoMo card and it worked perfectly. Tried sending and receiving a few texts and all worked.
    Quick update, tried mygovid and it worked perfectly did a speedtest while outside and got 160 down, it's a thumbs up from me!! Sorry I didn't go for it when it was a tenner....

Advertisement