Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The sim should be activated once you put it into your device. The temp 085 number remains active until port your number over. You mentioned its Duel sim, it's not a 3 network duel sim device by any chance 🤔 or did you purchase the phone Sim Free.

Can you check the go mo sim in another unlocked/ sim free device 🤔

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭GIMP

Tried the sim in another unlocked phone with same result sim card not provisioned, I have contacted them through the website, so who knows if they will respond or not!

Post edited by GIMP on

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dhealy2022

Does anyone have experience with exceeding the 120GB fair usage limit? Currently using a SIM card in my wifi modem and doing a good bit of streaming so wondering what happens if you do go over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Gooser14

The following is from their T&Cs:

6.4   The fair usage threshold in relation to data usage for the SIM Only Service is 120GB. Should your data usage exceed 120GB in a billing cycle and we consider that other users are likely to be adversely affected, we reserve the right reduce your speeds . We continuously monitor network performance to ensure that the SIM Only Service received by you is not impacted through a minority of users placing high demand on network resources (e.g. large bandwidths over long periods).

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Does GoMo offer 5G at present?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I’m thinking of changing to Eir. So what is the current consensus with Eir vs Gomo? Apart from the no 5G or little of it how do both services compare? Are Eir giving priority to bandwidth over Gomo? Are download speeds on 4G the same? Is roaming the same? ( I’m in the USA a lot). I need to decide Eir or Gomo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

No. But I'd like to know if they plan to. Eir does offer 5G.

I see that GoMo USA roaming is the same rate as Eir but Eir states you have to text for the 1gb data add on. No mention of that on GoMo so is it automatic? Also how do you get charged? Is it per MB?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

If you are in a position to bundle your mobile with Eir (Fibre/TV/Mobile bundle etc), you can add mobile for €9.99pm on their SIM-only deal. This is actually cheaper than their GoMo product, and includes 5G and all customer care options. Even if you aren't able to bundle, Eir's SIM-only offer is €14.99 - the same as price as GoMo. There also is an initial sign-up charge of €10 with GoMo, but none for Eir Mobile SIM-only.

There no longer appears to be any reason to go with GoMo vs Eir, as the price is no higher with Eir, and the service offering is better. The only possible advantages with GoMo might be that out-of-bundle charges are capped at €30 - which might be useful for a parent who wants to avoid kids running up large bills, and the possibility that GoMo tariffs might be "for life", whereas Eir tariffs might go up after a year if you don't get onto them to renegotiate your plan. However, both services use the same network, and apart from the lack of 5G, and reduced customer care, there is no evidence of any discrimination for GoMo vs Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kalyke

I am not sure if it was a trial but I have definitely been on their 5G network.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I’m not eligible for the 9.99. I decided to try GoMo. I can always change if need be. Eir do offer 14.99 and 19.99 plans but only for the first year. The go up to 24.99 and 34.99 and are subject to the CPI plus the 3%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Anyone know how to get MMS working? Gomo support say it's a phone setting thanks bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭timetogo1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Added an APN with your settings but hasn't fixed things. Don't know if it uses it, it's not selectable.

I just call up every year before my contract is due to end, and without fail they have always renewed at the €9.99pm rate. I just have to commit to another year to get this deal. Admittedly if I didn't make the call, the plan would increase at the end of contract, but it's not a big deal to make the call.

Sorry another stupid question. I see there’s an out of plan 30 euro spending cap. Does that mean if I’m in the USA roaming and I reach 30 I’m screwed?

Yes - remember that GoMo is pitched at kids, so this feature may be attractive to parents who wish to avoid high bills.

i suppose one way around it is to use the data E-sims and make calls mostly when connected to wifi.

This made me have a really good look at the terms and conditions. I work for myself a sole trader and of course my phone is used for my work customers phone me. I just read that GoMo is for private use and not to be used for commercial or business purposes. Looks like I’ll have to cancel or they’ll be wondering why so many different numbers calling me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭KildareP

I kmow of one business who switched ~15 numbers over to GoMo at €9.99 and nothing said so far. You'll be grand! Just bear in mind that any customer support is chat or e-mail. You can't phone anyone and you have no account manager which you may have had on a business plan. You're also limited to 4 numbers to a given email address.

• Advertisement

GoMo is not pitched at Kids it's a bill pay sim only offering, whilst obviously great value there is no feature to avoiding large bills , parents may sign up based on the price per month, nothing more, nothing less. They can request adult content features filters to be applied etc.

The private Use clause is really just a T&C to protect GoMo and in essence means the offer is not available as a Business account, Limited companies etc , it's for personal use and from a billing stand point , Bill's will be issued in the name of the account holder only rather than a Business, this may mean it could be tricky for claiming back vat or using the account as a business expense.

There is a limit to the amount of sims on one billing account. Obviously deals can be done for more but on a case by case basis and whilst entirely separate to Eir its likely Eir would encourage business customers with large accounts to stay with Eir and do a discounted deal through Eirs billing systems, there is No business support with GoMo, infact customer care is bog standard and not great at the best of times.

As for usage that is not an issue at all, obviously within the T&C's, as for people calling you not only is it no one's business, GoMo have no interest in who calls you or how many times they call or text you.

I'm on the original €9.99 offer and like any other service, check coverage and allowances which are very generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Gooser14

There is a spend limit of €30 for out of plan charges. The following is from GoMo FAQs:

"Usage & connection issues

I have received a text about insufficient credit on my account?

We have an out of plan spend limit of €30. This means you can spend up to €30 on charges that are not included in your plan. This includes Premium Rate Services such as 1890/1850 numbers, any non-standard text messages, roaming over the EU cap, roaming outside the EU and international calls and texts. We have this limit to protect our customers. If you receive a text about not being able to send a text or receive one this is why. You will not be able to incur any more out of plan charges until after your next billing date and you’ve paid any outstanding out of plan charges."

This is correct and a feature on most billing accounts but its not necessarily a gaurentee of avoiding a premium rate recurring charge, for example in my time in the sector many customers didn't check their bills only to discover months of additional charges due to, as an example a recurring premium service they inadvertently clicked on.

Whilst €30 may not sound like a lot, multiple that by a few months and then there's a problem.

If a parent signs up for a €9.99 (example) monthly service thinking this is wonderful and then ends up with €39.99 over a period of time, it's not so wonderful and even worse if they signed up @ €14.99 pm.

Networks are only too delighted when customers go out of allowances but to be fair, at least Gomo cap at €30 per month, other networks will bills run and run. The worst I saw was €23k after a trip to Disney land, totally customers fault, he got it discounted down to €2,300, still an expensive lesson and holiday.

Thanks for the reply. 14.99 is a no brainer for a network that also offers wifi and 4G calling and not to mention the large upgrades they are doing at the moment with 4G masts being put up all over the place.

I’m just a little cautious changing over to GoMo. There seems to be a lot of horror stories of the reliability of their service. Some people complaining outages for days and weeks and complaints of numbers not porting over smoothly ( my biggest worry). The other caveat is the 30 euro out of plan cap. I travel to the USA a lot but I suppose with wifi ( wifi calling) and data eSims it could be manageable.

No problem, honestly every network has its outages, the most recent one was related to Eir, I've a virgin media sim (€5) pm for 6 months and 3 had an outage and it affected my virgin sim.

Obviously I can't speak for others, I've been with gomo since the start and experienced one outage, the recent one. I'm not a massive data user, calls, texts more important.

What I'd do is get the sim but don't transfer your number, give it a try for a few days, data, calls etc. If your happy, port your number, if not cancel the sim, it will cost you the month and one time connection, alternatively if you know anyone on gomo or eir, check with them in areas you'll depend on coverage.

I live very rural (Laois) and had to double check before porting my number over.

Unrelated, Virgin doing a €10 per month for 12vminths also. But gomo for life so in my case @€9.99 pm, I'd be mad to move, Good luck 😉

Yep the sim is coming tomorrow but I’m not porting until the 28th because my current contract isn’t over until then. So I have 2 weeks to test. Actually my parents have a GoMo phone for over a year now . They use it mostly for calls and i haven’t heard them complaining about it.

Well there you go, best way is what you have done, before I forget, I presume your phone unlocked or sum free 🤔 that's important to check and ASAP

• Advertisement

Received my SIM card but it won’t be ported for another couple of weeks but doing a few tests in a Samsung A13.

So far it seems to work ok. Does exactly what it says on the tin. 4G calling and wifi calling works perfectly.

I did a 4G speed test side by side along my iPhone 13 pro max( Vodafone) in Longford town. Both masts on the same site. It seems Vodafone on average is twice as fast but I’m not sure if the A13 is a caveat.

One thing I noticed when on wifi calling only, I can send texts but not receive them. Is that normal?

Does GoMo prioritise wifi calling over 4G or only if the signal is weak?

Advertisement