Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum Seekers Getting Apartments in Ballinamore - mod warning in OP (18/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Boggles wrote: »
    You are friends with all the Syrians that moved to Thurles?

Fair enough. Good for you.

So you don’t know any immigrants at all and apart from your contact with them in the service industry you’ve had no meaningful relationships with anyone from outside the EU.
    You probably haven’t had much of a relationship with anyone who’s not Irish truth be told.
    So you’ve decided that anyone who says that they DO know “foreigners” is clearly lying.
    But you feel strongly that they can be dumped in Ballinamore or Borrisokane and anyone who disagrees is a nazi.
    Can you not see that you’re being racist here?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

splinter65 wrote: »
    So you don’t know any immigrants

Of course I do.

I just don't know all of them, nor would I pretend to, that would just be plain weird.

Of course I do.

I just don't know all of them, nor would I pretend to, that would just be plain weird.

Well tell us then about their experience since coming to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

bubblypop wrote: »
    politicians and police should mirror society.
    If we have large numbers of say, Chinese people for example, then they should be obvious in our governments and police.
    AGS need a lot of new faces, the more diverse the background the better, imo

Why?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Some people like to insist that Irish people are racist, it's more accurate to say that Irish people resent being played for fools. The vast majority of black/brown people in Ireland are bogus asylum seekers or the offspring of bogus asylum seekers. Paddy and Mary who work hard to pay the mortgage and the rest of the bills don't like to see a family of bogus asylum seekers being handed the keys to a brand new house in front of a camera crew from RTE who are there to film it and tell us how wonderful it is that these people are here.

Take a look at these people, they aren't the starving children from the Trocaire ads, they're all very well nourished, well dressed, clear skinned and healthy people who have never had a days deprivation in their lives. They are people who decided to invest the money that it cost for air fare for them and their kids to come to Ireland knowing that the odds of them being deported were low and that if they stuck it out long enough they'd get more money on Social Welfare than they'd ever earn on minimum wage at home. As well as the free or token amount of rent house, the free education and the free medical treatment.

The same people who shout racist at anyone who calls time on this stuff are the ones who insist that skin colour is the reason that the people are entitled to all this free stuff from us. But it isn't free, that money doesn't grow on magic trees in a magic orchard, every cent spent on them is taken from some other department. So never mind the 5 year old Irish kid eating his dinner off cardboard in the street, no, what's really important is that the scam artists from Africa who ''lost'' their passports between the connecting flight from elsewhere in Europe to Ireland are well looked after for life. Well...it'd be racist not to....

• Advertisement

I’m living here all my adult life. It’s a small town really. I meet a lot of people.I know a lot of people here.
    You do realise that that’s what it’s like in small town Ireland?
    I’m slowly getting the impression from you that you don’t really know anyone outside of your own immediate circle.
    That’s odd as you seem to be quite keen on telling others how very wrong they are in their opinions.
    Are you saying that you don’t personally know any immigrants but you think that you know what’s best for them?

Well as an immigrant yourself, you've said your not Irish in a number of posts btw, you were welcomed and wouldn't extended the same.
    Also unless your a nosey person who spends their lives gossiping about people you wouldn't know anything about people's health wealth and daily lives. Also most gossip is bull anyway and tends to be started by someone who has issues with the person/family that they gossip about, that includes cities as well as rural towns villages etc.

Why?

It doesn’t make any sense.
    No one is preventing anyone from putting themselves forward to be a TD or a county councillor.
    If people want to do that then they can.
    Some immigrants have run for “office” and some have been successful.
    No one has been prevented from running.
    Likewise if you want to join AGS then you apply.
    There’s no restriction on the grounds of race, religion etc.
    It’s confusing really. Does bubblypop think that foreign nationals should be forced to run for office or apply to the Gardaí?

There’s nothing here for them and even less in Borrisokane and it’s cruel really to dump them in these places.

So purely concern for them then?
    Where's your concern for the native people that live in the town? Is it cruel for them to live there too?

Why?

Because it makes a good police force. It's better for people to see that the police mirror themselves.

It’s confusing really. Does bubblypop think that foreign nationals should be forced to run for office or apply to the Gardaí?

What are you talking about?
    Maybe read my original post where I replied to a poster who stated that he didn't want any foreigners in the police or government in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Because it makes a good police force. It's better for people to see that the police mirror themselves.

would it make them do less crimes ?
    If so then best of luck to getting that many traveller, nigerian and heroin addict officers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Where is Ballinamore?
    Does anyone else want apartments there?
    Are they getting free cars and buggies too?

What a remarkable misunderstanding of the homeless demographic in this country. When was the last time you left your house, seriously?
    SafeSurfer wrote: »
    The population of Leitrim used to be over 150,000. It is now just over 30,000. I think we should welcome new members into the community. There have been many heartening stories of successful integration in Leitrim.
    Depopulated Leitrim villages such as Kiltyclogher are actively looking for people to move there.

So the government then offers incentives to nationals to de-centralize to these areas, just like the Japanese government is having to do. You most certainly do not see the Japanese government offering free houses to randos from the equator, but you do see them offering just that to nationals. Because they look after their own first.
    mvl wrote: »
    - you'd think these flats should come with jobs and car keys ... maybe we can feed this feedback to the developers, they're not working hard enough to solve community problems.

There's entire cities in China vacant because they couldn't supply amenities or jobs in the area?
    They will do the same as the people who live there now.

The people there now will rot on the dole because they can't/won't work or speak the language?

But homelessness would be eradicated within 12 months if the numbers could be dispersed throughout the island.

Obviously that will never happen.

Literal nonsense and a complete misunderstanding of the factors that bring about homelessness.

So purely concern for them then?
    Where's your concern for the native people that live in the town? Is it cruel for them to live there too?

The people who are natives to the town are mostly there all their lives. They have most of their family there. They go to work there or nearby. They are institutionalised to their surroundings. The weather. The agricultural environment. The lack of public transport. The absence of infrastructure.
    You are seriously suggesting that you can just drop off traumatised non EU people into this environment with nothing to do all day, nowhere to go, no train station and no money to travel anyway and they’ll be happy?
    Can you genuinely not see this?
    I don’t think you can and I’ll tell you why.
    You really don’t give a damn about these folk. What you are slavering over is the opportunity to point your finger and shout “racist nazis!”.
    The dept of justice are depending on people like to provide cover for them while they get on with dumping the asylum seekers they find a bloody nuisance in the most unsuitable places.
    Well done.

But no one is stopping anyone applying to be a Garda. Have you evidence of any minority being prevented from applying?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

blueshade wrote: »
    Some people like to insist that Irish people are racist, it's more accurate to say that Irish people resent being played for fools. The vast majority of black/brown people in Ireland are bogus asylum seekers or the offspring of bogus asylum seekers..

Proof?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Proof?

The Vast majority of asylum applications are denied -

But the kicker is only 1800 Have been deported in nearly 10 years ,but yet a government minister recently stated 60,000 + have been through the dp center's ,

Seems were missing a lot of asylum seekers

Gatling wrote: »

But the kicker is only 1800 Have been deported in nearly 10 years ,but yet a government minister recently stated 60,000 + have been through the dp center's ,

There was a couple working in one of our chippers here in town that had walked out of DP. He was from Tibet and she was from Khazakstan. They had 3 kids. Very chilled about the whole thing. They just disappeared then. Lordy she used to give him a hard time.

The people who are natives to the town are mostly there all their lives. They have most of their family there. They go to work there or nearby. They are institutionalised to their surroundings. The weather. The agricultural environment. The lack of public transport. The absence of infrastructure.
    You are seriously suggesting that you can just drop off traumatised non EU people into this environment with nothing to do all day, nowhere to go, no train station and no money to travel anyway and they’ll be happy?
    Can you genuinely not see this?
    I don’t think you can and I’ll tell you why.
    You really don’t give a damn about these folk. What you are slavering over is the opportunity to point your finger and shout “racist nazis!”.
    The dept of justice are depending on people like to provide cover for them while they get on with dumping the asylum seekers they find a bloody nuisance in the most unsuitable places.
    Well done.

I grew up in the town. My family live there now.
    There is public transport & there is very little employment

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Gatling wrote: »

That doesnt prove what was asserted.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I live in Thurles where we have since 2014 120+ Syrian refugees* (* some are now Irish citizens and some were brought since under the family reunification scheme).

My thing is that Thurles is not a good place to be if you’ve fled danger.
    There’s nothing here for them and even less in Borrisokane and it’s cruel really to dump them in these places.

What is there for any other person there be they Irish, Syrian, Pakistani? Like, if it’s that bad what are you doing there yourself?

The kids are in school, safe and getting an education, hopefully move to 3rd level get careers and decent jobs, contribute to Irish society on many levels.

You’d prefer they were somewhere else with more diversions and entertainment?

I don’t understand. If they’re fleeing persecution or whatnot, then a bit of small town boredom is a small price to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

If they’re fleeing persecution or whatnot.
    Recently, it may be more the case of 'whatnot', as Syrians haven't featured in the top5 source countries for IPO in recent times.

Albanaia has been at the top, and also at the top for rejection rates.

Even when they made that Liam Neeson movie (taken), Albania was the default choice for the movie's criminal gang with a credible long rap sheet attached.

I grew up in the town. My family live there now.
    There is public transport & there is very little employment

What good is the public transport to the asylum seekers who have €20 per week spending money? If you grew up there then you know there’s nothing to do there. That’s what rural Irish towns are like. It’s not like Dublin or limerick or Birmingham or Leeds.
    The natives grew up with that. They make they’re own interests based around family and friends and sports clubs. But you know all this. But still you want to insist that it’s going to be a wonderful life for non English speaking traumatised foreigners who might as well have come from Jupiter in a space ship.

What is there for any other person there be they Irish, Syrian, Pakistani? Like, if it’s that bad what are you doing there yourself?

The kids are in school, safe and getting an education, hopefully move to 3rd level get careers and decent jobs, contribute to Irish society on many levels.

You’d prefer they were somewhere else with more diversions and entertainment?

I don’t understand. If they’re fleeing persecution or whatnot, then a bit of small town boredom is a small price to pay.

There is no DP in Thurles never was. The Syrians are all refugees except a few who have now got citizenship. Refugee status is fine. It’s the asylum seekers I feel pity for.

What good is the public transport to the asylum seekers who have €20 per week spending money? If you grew up there then you know there’s nothing to do there. That’s what rural Irish towns are like. It’s not like Dublin or limerick or Birmingham or Leeds.
    The natives grew up with that. They make they’re own interests based around family and friends and sports clubs. But you know all this. But still you want to insist that it’s going to be a wonderful life for non English speaking traumatised foreigners who might as well have come from Jupiter in a space ship.

No. They will have the same life as anyone else who lives there.
    It's good enough for Irish people, why would it not be good enough for non Irish people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

blueshade wrote: »
    Some people like to insist that Irish people are racist, it's more accurate to say that Irish people resent being played for fools. The vast majority of black/brown people in Ireland are bogus asylum seekers or the offspring of bogus asylum seekers. Paddy and Mary who work hard to pay the mortgage and the rest of the bills don't like to see a family of bogus asylum seekers being handed the keys to a brand new house in front of a camera crew from RTE who are there to film it and tell us how wonderful it is that these people are here.

Take a look at these people, they aren't the starving children from the Trocaire ads, they're all very well nourished, well dressed, clear skinned and healthy people who have never had a days deprivation in their lives. They are people who decided to invest the money that it cost for air fare for them and their kids to come to Ireland knowing that the odds of them being deported were low and that if they stuck it out long enough they'd get more money on Social Welfare than they'd ever earn on minimum wage at home. As well as the free or token amount of rent house, the free education and the free medical treatment.

The same people who shout racist at anyone who calls time on this stuff are the ones who insist that skin colour is the reason that the people are entitled to all this free stuff from us. But it isn't free, that money doesn't grow on magic trees in a magic orchard, every cent spent on them is taken from some other department. So never mind the 5 year old Irish kid eating his dinner off cardboard in the street, no, what's really important is that the scam artists from Africa who ''lost'' their passports between the connecting flight from elsewhere in Europe to Ireland are well looked after for life. Well...it'd be racist not to....

Two questions:

1. It's only black/brown people you have a problem with?

2. How do you know that child eating on the street was Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

actually they got a raise, its 38 EUR. just enough to live in that town, according to a former native.
    - bet they would get plenty of Sunday dinner invites too, and their kids would not be bullied in school. its a magical place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Round the clock protest to take place after 350 attended a meeting this evening.

Also some back peddling from SF

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/ballinamore-residents-hold-crisis-meeting-over-asylum-seeker-plan-1.4056937

• Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Accommodation is full board bed, breakfast, lunch, evening meal.

Grants toward exceptional needs and clothing may be available.

A Medical Card is provided.

The allowance is €38.80 per adult and €29.80 per child.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/asylum_seekers_and_refugees/services_for_asylum_seekers_in_ireland/direct_provision.html

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Round the clock protest to take place after 350 attended a meeting this evening.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/ballinamore-residents-hold-crisis-meeting-over-asylum-seeker-plan-1.4056937

Terrible reaction from SOME people in the town.
    Of course, the ones who shout loudest are always heard...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Only 1 GP, and they plan to host that number of ppl ...At least in Borrisokane they seem to be willing to stage receiving the families, start with 4, adding more later "once local issues have been resolved over school and medical resources.".
    How can this double standard be allowed in same time ?

Advertisement