Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum Seekers Getting Apartments in Ballinamore - mod warning in OP (18/10)

Options

Comments

mvl wrote: »
    Only 1 GP, and they plan to host that number of ppl ...At least in Borrisokane they seem to be willing to stage receiving the families, start with 4, adding more later "once local issues have been resolved over school and medical resources.".
    How can this double standard be allowed in same time ?

They really not all moving in together, it will be staged over time.
    One GP? I'm sure there's plenty of doctors would love to be in the town.
    The doctor in Ballinamore in one of the top ten highest paid gp's in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Round the clock protest to take place after 350 attended a meeting this evening.

Also some back peddling from SF

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/ballinamore-residents-hold-crisis-meeting-over-asylum-seeker-plan-1.4056937

A lot of selective phrasing, as they and the papers can't be broadcasting anything negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

bubblypop wrote: »
    No. They will have the same life as anyone else who lives there.
    It's good enough for Irish people, why would it not be good enough for non Irish people?

I don’t think you know very much about DP bubblypop. It’s more or less prison with €20 spending a week.
    You do know that?

The doctor in Ballinamore in one of the top ten highest paid gp's in the country.

You’ve not heard anything about the crisis surrounding the shortage of GPs in rural Ireland?

https://www.collinsmedicalpractice.ie/why-is-there-a-gp-famine/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/health/doctor-shortage-to-leave-more-than-230000-without-gp-care-38455421.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

It's almost impossible to attract new GPs to small towns. There's a staffing crisis in general practice. You don't know what you're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I for one welcome our new asylum seeking overlords.

The population of Leitrim used to be over 150,000. It is now just over 30,000. I think we should welcome new members into the community. There have been many heartening stories of successful integration in Leitrim.
    Depopulated Leitrim villages such as Kiltyclogher are actively looking for people to move there.

that was in the days of unmechanised agriculture, hardly relevant today.

splinter65 wrote: »
    I don’t think you know very much about DP bubblypop. It’s more or less prison with €20 spending a week.
    You do know that?

I know exactly what direct provision is, it's not right. At all. It's a terrible system.
    So, thankfully Ballinamore will be different. Families will be able to live in their own apartments. Which is great.
    I don't know yet what way the food or money will work. Buy it's definitely better then direct provision!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

It's almost impossible to attract new GPs to small towns. There's a staffing crisis in general practice. You don't know what you're talking about.

Wonder how long it takes for HSE to approve new GPs - so many small towns don't have enough of them as is.
    (I thought one reason can be because HSE is trying to consolidate the GPs number, as per capita Ireland has too many GPs, compared with EU)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

You do know that?

It's a guaranteed roof and three square meals and safety, more than what 10,000 in this country have. Don't like it? Leave.

That goes for the asylum scammers from the african continent in their dinghies and in Calais now, don't have an issue with people from war-torn countries being safe here for a few years until the conflict is over.

Snore snore
    Yep there is a gp shortage..... And yet I know 3 gp that wanted to set up practise in Ballinamore......... And they couldn't.........
    I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

enricoh wrote: »
    Heres a fine doctor or engineer from todays indo.
    Arrived 19 years ago from that wartorn hellhole moldova n claimed asylum. Has worked for 1 year since!
    Resides in clonsilla courtesy of the taxpayer n is separated from missus n 4 kids. Another house required from taxpayer there no doubt.
    In court looking for a handy compo payout.
    What has this parasite cost the country so far?!

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-denies-his-accident-claim-for-collision-is-a-massive-fraud-38606113.html

He had earlier said he got the €20,000 cash for the van from his mother in Moldova and another €12,000 from his sister in Italy to buy vehicles.

jesus, his mother must be the queen of moldova with that kind of cash

mvl wrote: »
    Wonder how long it takes for HSE to approve new GPs - so many small towns don't have enough of them as is.
    (I thought one reason can be because HSE is trying to consolidate the GPs number, as per capita Ireland has too many GPs, compared with EU)

The HSE can’t attract GPs. They can’t get them. Who in gods name wants to be a GP in Borrisokane .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

The HSE can’t attract GPs. They can’t get them. Who in gods name wants to be a GP in Borrisokane .
    Maybe wrong name :). TBH, I thought they may get lucky with volunteers that are supporting the cause, as long as HSE approves setting up new practices.

PS: Statistics for 2016 - IRL having a high number of GPs per 100K inhabitants, by comparison with other EU countries https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php?title=File:Physicians,_by_speciality,_2016_HLTH18.png

Someone who is originally from near borrisokane?
    Obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Obviously

You seem to think people are queing up to open services in borrisokane ,
    So we will see the newly arrived migrants likely with little English and or education with 20 odd Euro to spend ,
    No extra school places or resources for local schools , or gp services and likely an increase in crime and anti social behaviour ,

Might suddenly be an increase in New taxis and foreign drivers in borrisokane thought

Gatling wrote: »
    and likely an increase in crime and anti social behavior

Really?
    Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

No. They will have the same life as anyone else who lives there.
    It's good enough for Irish people, why would it not be good enough for non Irish people?

you ignored the fact they will only get 20 or 30 quid each,what are they going to be able to do with themselves to better their situation,to live independantly and not live a life of social welfare handouts in a town that people have deserted for years to find a better life.

Pie in the sky feelgood bullsh1t wont work here

Obviously

You have absolutely no idea what’s going on in Ireland at all, have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Varik wrote: »
    A lot of selective phrasing, as they and the papers can't be broadcasting anything negative.

Its very staged. Far right provocateurs have coached them what to say after they realised that happened in Oughterard and Carrickmacross.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I know exactly what direct provision is, it's not right. At all. It's a terrible system.
    So, thankfully Ballinamore will be different. Families will be able to live in their own apartments. Which is great.
    I don't know yet what way the food or money will work. Buy it's definitely better then direct provision!

This is direct provision!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Really?
    Why?

Its the far right propaganda I highlighted earlier

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

You seem like a very angry person, life is too short to live like that.

As far as I can see the position of the Left is that DP is wrong wrong wrong but if people in a village of 1500 people like Borrisokane with serious social problems, no employment one small primary school no public transport and no GP object to having DP dumped on them then they are automatically bigoted small minded xenophobic racists.
    Anyone who raises even the mildest query about how this is going to benefit either the asylum seekers or the people of the village has been totally fooled by some right wing propoganda.
    Is that it in a nutshell Joey?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Not once was this mentioned when the red carpets were being rolled out in their droves in Athenry when Apple were planning on setting up shop and bringing hundreds to the town. NOT A ONCE...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Round the clock protest to take place after 350 attended a meeting this evening.

Also some back peddling from SF

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/ballinamore-residents-hold-crisis-meeting-over-asylum-seeker-plan-1.4056937

Fair play to those protestors. The example of oughterard must give them hope

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Chinasea wrote: »
    Not once was this mentioned when the red carpets were being rolled out in their droves in Athenry when Apple were planning on setting up shop and bringing hundreds to the town. NOT A ONCE...

Maybe because it wasn't an issue, and that not even the clowns protesting that would been stupid enough to suggest it as one.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Asylum Seeking is a crazy idea....the peoples who live here are not responsible for the worlds problems.
    While heartbreaking the storys can be...the idea of just letting people live here with no connection or allegiance to our land is nutz
    If anything these policys encourage fake stories

• Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

dvdman1 wrote: »
    While heartbreaking the storys can be...the idea of just letting people live here with no connection or allegiance to our land is nutz

So we should get rid of all immigration, close the border completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Boggles wrote: »
    So we should get rid of all immigration, close the border completely?

NO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

dvdman1 wrote: »
    NO

How so?
    the idea of just letting people live here with no connection or allegiance to our land is nutz

It is either nutz or it isn't.

Advertisement