Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum Seekers Getting Apartments in Ballinamore - mod warning in OP (18/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

PostWoke wrote: »
    Completely incorrect, in fact from what I'm seeing, this website is riddled with them and is probably their primary stomping ground.

Related breaking news;

Will be interested to see where these individuals hailed from, and if the driver is actually guilty of anything or is just being thrown under the bus. Coming from Bulgaria rather than a more southernly direction makes me think they might be Syrians, very unfortunate if so.

Thank you, I promise I will do you proud daddy.

even expressing moderate right wing views here can get you a ban, 'far right' trolls don't even make it to 50 posts these days around here. There is no far right here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

There is no far right in Ireland. It's a childish bogeyman used by the left to legitimise their own policies.

Evidence: every single election since the foundation of the state. Even mild, economic right wing parties struggle for any support (PDs, Renua).

I am sure you know that there is a difference between the ethno-nationalist far right and the economically right wing. The PDs for example were relatively liberal socially.

But I agree that there has been no electoral success for the ethno-centric far right - probably because we previously had little or no immigration to raise them from their slumber. Queer-bashing would have been a previous pastime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Melgra93

jmayo wrote: »
    Ehh I know there are daily buses with routes from/to likes of Sligo/Enniskillen.
    But how often?
    One bus a day is shag all use to someone without car and without relatives/friends with car.

And also dear god what the feck use is a bus to Dromod.
    Unless you have a boat waiting at the marina for you or something. :rolleyes:

Ok so some clarification is needed on the public transport in the area. There is not buses to Sligo and Enniskillen daily. There is one bus to Enniskillen on a Thursday. There is a bus to sligo on a Friday morning and Saturday morning. However, the one on Saturday goes through many rural areas and ends up taking over two hours for somewhere which is about an hours drive away. The use of the bus to Dromod is that it's our nearest train station. However, these daily links to Carrick and Dromod leave three times daily, although due to the rural nature of the area there are often detours to collect people who live in the absolute arsehole of nowhere which is fair enough, they need to get to tesco and aldi just like the rest of us but it means you often have to set aside the majority of the day just to get somewhere that is 25 mins drive by car. Its not ideal if you just need to nip to carrick for an appointment etc. Also calling this a daily service was an error on my part because they do not operate on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

even expressing moderate right wing views here can get you a ban, 'far right' trolls don't even make it to 50 posts these days around here. There is no far right here.
    Thats bull sh>t. A lot of the trolls are all the same person reregging again and again and again and again

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

There is no far right in Ireland. It's a childish bogeyman used by the left to legitimise their own policies.

Evidence: every single election since the foundation of the state. Even mild, economic right wing parties struggle for any support (PDs, Renua).

Someone needs to tell Rowan to hide his guns now we all know

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Pasamos

Achill Island is next for Direct Plantation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You succumb to the boardsthink or you get banned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Nonsense, there's a mod posting in threads like this that will go unnamed that is quite islamophobic from what I've seen of his posts. Fake news as they say there Eric.

Thats bull sh>t. A lot of the trolls are all the same person reregging again and again and again and again

So theb far right views arent a thing on boards and its just one rereg, point proven

So theb far right views arent a thing on boards and its just one rereg, point proven

Erm no...?

And hint for any uninitiated, chances are anyone stating 'there is no far right here' are the far right here. XD

• Advertisement

If you really want to promote racism theres lots of places you can go.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So anyway.....

Reps from the community will meet with Stanton tomorrow. Will be interesting to see if he can settle the genuine fears or are they too embedded to back down now.

Also interestingly the company that wants to invest 30 million in the area are also the company who own the 25 apartments.

I suppose Just Eat or Deliveroo will provide all their meals to the apartments, since they will not have enough cash to buy and cook their own. Just wondered, as this seems to be a different set up to most reception/DP centres.

The idea that Just Eat or Deliveroo even operate in an area like Ballinamore is the funniest thing I've heard all week.

Boggles wrote: »
    Or refugees.

Irish people have no interest in the village, the apartments were idle for 10+ years.

Yes they were idle for 10+ years but they were also unfinished and not fit for living in. They have only been brought up to scratch in recent months when the plans to house Asylum Seekers were developed.

Melgra93 wrote: »
    Yes they were idle for 10+ years but they were also unfinished and not fit for living in. They have only been brought up to scratch in recent months when the plans to house Asylum Seekers were developed.

I know, that's my point there was no "organic" demand for them because if they were they would have been finished like the vast majority of the "ghost estates" around Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

I know, that's my point there was no "organic" demand for them because if they were they would have been finished like the vast majority of the "ghost estates" around Ireland.

If there's no demand, then why are the company talking about investment of €30 million including new apartments?.
    Obviously a lie to try to persuade people that they are bringing investment to the area.

Cart before the horse eh? Any evidence that they weren't finished because of a lack of demand, rather than not being in demand because they were never finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

splinter65 wrote: »
    The HSE can’t attract GPs. They can’t get them. Who in gods name wants to be a GP in Borrisokane .

What's your problem with Borrisokane?
    Its always been a great spot and as far as I know the vast majority of people there have no issue with the plans to rehome these people.

What's your problem with Borrisokane?

Impressive. You literally quoted one of his concerns on this topic then asked him what his problems were with this topic.

Ronin247 wrote: »
    If there's no demand, then why are the company talking about investment of €30 million including new apartments?.

The plan is to create the demand, they want to build a nursing home, service station, and a business hub apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Impressive. You literally quoted one of his concerns on this topic then asked him what his problems were with this topic.

I hate when people misuse the word 'literally'.
    Apart from that which of his concerns did I quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The plan is to create the demand, they want to build a nursing home, service station, and a business hub apparently.

And only asylum seekers can make this happen!!!!!!

Gonna ignore my post above? Thought so.
    I hate when people misuse the word 'literally'.
    Apart from that which of his concerns did I quote?

I don't care, especially if you can't even follow what is going on in your own posts.

vriesmays wrote: »

I hope that green party hippy saoirse mchugh has to deal with this, she can't possibly say anything negative about them for wrath of her mainland thejournal.ie reading fanbase, cant have her seen as a racist agreeing with her fellow islanders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

A company bringing skilled employment and thus skilled employees to better a town is vastly different to uneducated migrants with little money and no right to work.

But you know that ofcourse, you’d rather just believe everyone in every rural village is a racist....

I'd say many of the asylum seekers are better educated then the local racist mob coming up with every dodgy bogus excuse as to why it would not be suitable for them to come seek refuge in their town.

Chinasea wrote: »
    I'd say many of the asylum seekers are better educated then the local racist mob coming up with every dodgy bogus excuse as to why it would not be suitable for them to come seek refuge in their town.

https://www.iwkoeln.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Studien/Report/PDF/2017/IW-Report_2017_37_Education_Levels_of_Refugees.pdf

35% completed secondary school,
    12% completed university.
    theres twice as many showing up with no or a primary school education than completed university or a vocational qualification.

coming from somalia, 88% of them never even made it to upper secondry school. 88% of somalian refugees have less than a junior cert going on.

despite being offered them, only 7% of male and 3% of female 'refugees' took up the offer of vocational training. Only 27% of men and 17% of women took up 'other education' (the vast majority being language school)

so in general its 35% of them completing secondry school before arriving and only 27% of the men taking up even learning a language when they get to europe.

Great stats there...
    Also just to add, Iran is seriously improving those numbers, it really upsets the model and without them being part of the makeup of germany's intake of refugees, we're down to single digit percentiles of those who have even set foot in a post secondary school educational institute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Chinasea wrote: »
    https://www.iwkoeln.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Studien/Report/PDF/2017/IW-Report_2017_37_Education_Levels_of_Refugees.pdf

35% completed secondary school,
    12% completed university.
    theres twice as many showing up with no or a primary school education than completed university or a vocational qualification.

coming from somalia, 88% of them never even made it to upper secondry school. 88% of somalian refugees have less than a junior cert going on.

Lol, and the lefties think its doctors and engineers, turns out they can barely write their own name, they should stay at home and try and better their lives rather than fcukin up western Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Does it matter? It's proof that there are asylum scammers out there, and yours and other people's answer to that is not to show concern, but to sealion instead?

Of course it matters that you backup stupid statements as facts. This isn't Twitter it's a discussion forum. The link proved nothing to backup the claims.

Also wtf is sealoin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I hope that green party hippy saoirse mchugh has to deal with this, she can't possibly say anything negative about them for wrath of her mainland thejournal.ie reading fanbase, cant have her seen as a racist agreeing with her fellow islanders.

Or maybe she will just be straight and honest as she has been to date.

Advertisement