Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum Seekers Getting Apartments in Ballinamore - mod warning in OP (18/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

elperello wrote: »
    Or maybe she will just be straight and honest as she has been to date.

im talking about the one who's a politican for the green party, you must be mixing her up with somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,841 ✭✭✭✭elperello

im talking about the one who's a politican for the green party, you must be mixing her up with somebody else.

Same woman.
    Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

One side of the argument providing stats the other ****e. Guess which side?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

Ronin247 wrote: »
    If there's no demand, then why are the company talking about investment of €30 million including new apartments?.
    Obviously a lie to try to persuade people that they are bringing investment to the area.

So, the crowd that own the apartments have a new e30 million investment in the pipeline for the town, which includes more apartments.

Hmm, i wonder who they have in mind to reside in the new apartments, more asylum seekers perchance?!
    I wonder will the new apartments be in the first phase of the development. My money is on it.
    What a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Melgra93

Boggles wrote: »
    I know, that's my point there was no "organic" demand for them because if they were they would have been finished like the vast majority of the "ghost estates" around Ireland.

Other estates and properties built during a similar time period were bought and rented in the area because they were fit for purpose. Some privately, some bought up or built by the council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Chinasea wrote: »
    I'd say many of the asylum seekers are better educated then the local racist mob coming up with every dodgy bogus excuse as to why it would not be suitable for them to come seek refuge in their town.

Your dead right Chinasea. 150 doctors solicitors dentists civil engineers professors and opticians.
    All want to come and live in Ballinamore Co. Leitrim Ireland.
    It was their lifetime goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I hope that green party hippy saoirse mchugh has to deal with this, she can't possibly say anything negative about them for wrath of her mainland thejournal.ie reading fanbase, cant have her seen as a racist agreeing with her fellow islanders.

Most Achill people are cool enough with the prospect, there was a meeting last night that had none of the theatrics that have become the norm.

Melgra93 wrote: »
    Other estates and properties built during a similar time period were bought and rented in the area because they were fit for purpose. Some privately, some bought up or built by the council.

And there were plenty left sitting idle.
    It's better to have these places full & being used rather then left to rot away like they have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Lol, and the lefties think its doctors and engineers, turns out they can barely write their own name, they should stay at home and try and better their lives rather than fcukin up western Europe

"Stay at home"

Clue: Asylum seeker.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

enricoh wrote: »
    So, the crowd that own the apartments have a new e30 million investment in the pipeline for the town, which includes more apartments.

Hmm, i wonder who they have in mind to reside in the new apartments, more asylum seekers perchance?!
    I wonder will the new apartments be in the first phase of the development. My money is on it.
    What a scam.

Yeah they are investing €30 million to house asylum seekers. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    And there were plenty left sitting idle.
    It's better to have these places full & being used rather then left to rot away like they have been.

I agree, however seeing what happened to the last direct provision centre doesn't fill me full of hope about this.

I agree, however seeing what happened to the last direct provision centre doesn't fill me full of hope about this.

Why?
    Because it closed?

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Most Achill people are cool enough with the prospect, there was a meeting last night that had none of the theatrics that have become the norm.

Thats brilliant news.

Right we’re sending them all to the islands lads, theyre cool with it....

Thats brilliant news.

Right we’re sending them all to the islands lads, theyre cool with it....

Let's not get too excited there!

The numbers are pretty modest compared to Ballinamore, around 80 are planned to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

Are you sure about that? That wasn't what I saw on the video from the meeting. The PBP councillor from Castlebar was heckled repeatedly.

In any case the centre for Achill has been postponed thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Boggles wrote: »
    Yeah they are investing €30 million to house asylum seekers. :rolleyes:

Give it a year or two and they will double or triple their investment thanks to the government paying hand over foot to house immigrants

• Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Gatling wrote: »
    Give it a year or two and they will double or triple their investment thanks to the government paying hand over foot to house immigrants

In 2 years they will earn 90 million?

Please by all means do show your maths.

Let's not get too excited there!

The numbers are pretty modest compared to Ballinamore, around 80 are planned to come.

Well apparantly the island is the only place where the locals dont mind them so we should probably send them all

Why?
    Because it closed?

Because it was closed and then left to rot. The smell going by it in the summer would turn your stomach.

Are you sure about that? That wasn't what I saw on the video from the meeting. The PBP councillor from Castlebar was heckled repeatedly.

PBP councillor from Castlebar?

Not in this lifetime hopefully!

• Advertisement

Because it was closed and then left to rot. The smell going by it in the summer would turn your stomach.

It was closed because the number of asylum seekers went down.
    No-one wanted to buy the hotel because it wouldn't do any business.
    So, basically it would have been a lot better if the asylum seekers had kept coming & kept it lived in.
    Now it's terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Well apparantly the island is the only place where the locals dont mind them so we should probably send them all

The locals in Borrisokane are completely indifferent to them arriving so achill is not the only place where there appears to be a bit of chtistianity going round.

so achill is not the only place where there appears to be a bit of chtistianity going round.

Unfortunately Christianity doesn't have a say ,I'm sure when tourists complain of harrasment ,crime and likely serious assaults ,the islandslers will quickly about face

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There is a full account of the meeting/situation on the Mayo News web site; cannot link from here.

Graces7 wrote: »
    There is a full account of the meeting/situation on the Mayo News web site; cannot link from here.

Reported plans to open a Direct Provision centre on Achill Island this morning (Thursday) have been halted in the wake of a public meeting on the island last night.
    The meeting heard local objections to reported plans by the Department of Justice to house 40 migrants at the Achill Head Hotel in the village of Pollagh from today.
    At the outset of the meeting, local resident Monica Brogan said the meeting had been called by a group of locals concerned about the ‘inhumane’ Direct Provision system, emphasising that ‘the people who are seeking the accommodation are not the targets here’.
    Local councillor Paul McNamara said he had been informed that the hotel has a three-month contract as emergency accommodation for a temporary Direct Provision centre.
    Word of plans to open the Direct Provision centre today had only filtered through to the community yesterday, with many locals expressing their anger at the lack of local consultation.
    Cllr McNamara told The Mayo News this morning (Tuesday) that following phone calls by him after the meeting, he was told nobody will be arriving at the Achill Head Hotel today and that ‘no final decision’ will be made until the Department of Justice liaise with the local community.
    At the meeting Cllr McNamara was critical of the lack of notification to the Achill community, saying he only became aware of the plans yesterday morning and got confirmation of the above details from the office of David Stanton, the Minister for State for Equality, Immigration and Integration, yesterday afternoon. He described the news as ‘the best-kept secret’.
    Close to 200 people attended the two-hour-long meeting in Cashel last night. At times heated, the meeting heard differing views on the issue.
    Speaking at the end of the meeting, Cllr McNamara summed up what he felt was the mood of the meeting. Each of comments were met with sustained applause.
    “The Achill Head is not fit for purpose as a Direct Provision centre, that is what is coming out of the meeting?” he asked.
    Cllr McNamara said few can appreciate the plight of migration more than the people of Achill.
    “We are a very small community with a population of about 2,500, and nobody knows better than us about emigration and how our fathers and forefathers had to go to England in order to send home the wage packets to keep us all going here. We’re a very welcoming community,” he said.
    Cllr McNamara made an impassioned plea to those at the meeting and to the wider Achill community not to fall out over this.
    “I’m pleading with you – our community is small enough. Please do not divide it over an issue that is nothing to do with any of us in this room. It has been forced upon us under wrong regulations. I’m pleading with you to not let that happen,” he said.

https://www.mayonews.ie/news/34470-plans-for-direct-provision-centre-in-achill-halted

Unfortunately Christianity doesn't have a say ,I'm sure when tourists complain of harrasment ,crime and likely serious assaults ,the islandslers will quickly about face

Are you Assuming that the foreigners will be the case of this harassment, serious assaults & crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

RTE saying 40 going to Achill

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

The locals in Borrisokane are completely indifferent to them arriving so achill is not the only place where there appears to be a bit of chtistianity going round.
    Numbers are up 53% this year, before brexit kicks in. There'll be no end to the Christianity required. (more taxpayer money may be required also!)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/final-cost-of-providing-direct-provision-accommodation-for-asylum-seekers-will-be-60m-over-budget-956042.html
    Minister of State at the Department of Justice, David Stanton said the “dramatic increase” in costs was driven by a 53% jump in asylum applications this year and the additional cost of providing emergency accommodation, with direct provision centres full

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Reported plans to open a Direct Provision centre on Achill Island this morning (Thursday) have been halted in the wake of a public meeting on the island last night.
    The meeting heard local objections to reported plans by the Department of Justice to house 40 migrants at the Achill Head Hotel in the village of Pollagh from today.
    At the outset of the meeting, local resident Monica Brogan said the meeting had been called by a group of locals concerned about the ‘inhumane’ Direct Provision system, emphasising that ‘the people who are seeking the accommodation are not the targets here’.
    Local councillor Paul McNamara said he had been informed that the hotel has a three-month contract as emergency accommodation for a temporary Direct Provision centre.
    Word of plans to open the Direct Provision centre today had only filtered through to the community yesterday, with many locals expressing their anger at the lack of local consultation.
    Cllr McNamara told The Mayo News this morning (Tuesday) that following phone calls by him after the meeting, he was told nobody will be arriving at the Achill Head Hotel today and that ‘no final decision’ will be made until the Department of Justice liaise with the local community.
    At the meeting Cllr McNamara was critical of the lack of notification to the Achill community, saying he only became aware of the plans yesterday morning and got confirmation of the above details from the office of David Stanton, the Minister for State for Equality, Immigration and Integration, yesterday afternoon. He described the news as ‘the best-kept secret’.
    Close to 200 people attended the two-hour-long meeting in Cashel last night. At times heated, the meeting heard differing views on the issue.
    Speaking at the end of the meeting, Cllr McNamara summed up what he felt was the mood of the meeting. Each of comments were met with sustained applause.
    “The Achill Head is not fit for purpose as a Direct Provision centre, that is what is coming out of the meeting?” he asked.
    Cllr McNamara said few can appreciate the plight of migration more than the people of Achill.
    “We are a very small community with a population of about 2,500, and nobody knows better than us about emigration and how our fathers and forefathers had to go to England in order to send home the wage packets to keep us all going here. We’re a very welcoming community,” he said.
    Cllr McNamara made an impassioned plea to those at the meeting and to the wider Achill community not to fall out over this.
    “I’m pleading with you – our community is small enough. Please do not divide it over an issue that is nothing to do with any of us in this room. It has been forced upon us under wrong regulations. I’m pleading with you to not let that happen,” he said.

https://www.mayonews.ie/news/34470-plans-for-direct-provision-centre-in-achill-halted

He spoke very directly about the awareness that DP " sucks" as he put it; that they on Achill would welcome these people if they were coming as families to the empty houses there and thus would be integrated into the community.

The village there where the hotel is has a population of under 100; and they were going to bus in 40 refugees with no warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Are you Assuming that the foreigners will be the case of this harassment, serious assaults & crime?

Of course thats the suggestion. Refugee/Asylum seeker = Rapist thieving illiterate scum in the vies of many here.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement