Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum Seekers Getting Apartments in Ballinamore - mod warning in OP (18/10)

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

davycc wrote: »

Lol. The far right, they assure, are just rational and sociable people with alternative opinions. They dont condone violence or threats at all.

No of course they’re not deranged violent idiots. Thats just Soros propaganda

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

He got death threats a few days ago after speaking out against the growing far right menace. His car was burnt out last night hopefully the garda get forensics from the scene and cctv etc.

The is far right problem up with your fellow northy loyalists paramilitaries English defense league Chelsea headhunters, combat 18 proud fascist and racists immigrant and minority haters.

Any takers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 40,091 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Hopefully the good people in Leitrim rally around Kenny and hopefully they catch whatever subhuman racist scum sent him death threats and burnt out his car.

An extremely long custodial sentence is the only way to deal with such filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Turbo Bro wrote: »
    Over reaction much?

Re-reg much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

He got death threats a few days ago after speaking out against the growing far right menace.

From who exactly? The number of groups who issue deaths in the RoI is very small. It has to be top tier criminals or Irish republicans.
    The is far right problem up with your fellow northy loyalists paramilitaries English defense league Chelsea headhunters, combat 18 proud fascist and racists immigrant and minority haters.

Yeah, loyalist paras, Combat 18, EDL etc are well known for their presence south of the border. Politicians en masse south of the border have adapted a left wing stance on this topic over the years. Many condemned the attacks on hotels housing asylum seekers in the past. Nothing happened to them. It has nothing to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 AloneInTheDark

Turbo Bro wrote: »
    Looks like the migration debate is hotting up.

People are getting fed up and who can blame them. We have a serious homeless problem, we're paying through the nose for bailing out our banks, people dying because they cannot get medical care in our hospitals due to overcrowding, long waiting lists etc. But these migrants human rights are protected more than our own citizens by international laws.
    I see people go on about how the Irish are all over the world, the difference is most of those people entered the country legally and never expected the country they arrived in to provide everything free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Sorry I have said repeatedly it’s not a prison

I’m trying to do best by the asy seekers and of course the states right to have an effective asy system

Grant the deserving cases yes.

deport the failed cases.

I suggest have a central location near dublin airport with great facilities for ppl while they await their claim being decided upon.

Let’s cut down the red tape and delays and get decisions quickly and fast track grants and refusals and then actually deport the failed cases.

We already have such a place,and it's currently a hive of building activity as additional facilities are added.

https://extra.ie/2018/04/04/news/irish-news/balseskin-reception-centre-drugs-prostitution-probe

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-direct-provision-centre-to-close-by-mid-july-4688200-Jun2019/

A few more bits of info plus an aerial view here......although perhaps not from the most reputable source ?

https://itv.ie/irish-government-doubling-size-of-balseskin-fakugee-reception-centre-in-finglas-up-to-700-residents-population-replacement-going-into-overdrive/

Anyway......it's good to see that the Authorities are proceeding apace,as if we are to believe the media,the Government is doing nothing at all...ever ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,421 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Berserker wrote: »
    From who exactly? The number of groups who issue deaths in the RoI is very small.

Any wankpuffin with a phone can 'issue a death threat', in fairness...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I dont support attacks on politicians.

But it seems those arsonists feel that speaking out will only draw attention so they sneakily burn properties and cars.

We need an honest open debate on Direct Provision and the asylum process or there will be more cowardly attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The **** are Georgians doing here?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/georgians-lead-irish-asylum-claims-1.3745515
    Georgians lead Irish asylum claims

A recent study by the Georgian authorities said while internal conflicts and a conflict between Georgia and Russia had influenced some to leave, most emigrants did so for other reasons.

“Quality of life, education and healthcare, poverty and economic inequality play a more decisive role than political stability and security,” the research concluded.
    Not a refugee among them.

• Advertisement

I see people go on about how the Irish are all over the world, the difference is most of those people entered the country legally and never expected the country they arrived in to provide everything free of charge.

Have you ever lived in the US, the east coast in particular? I couldn't even guess the number of Irish people who entered the US illegally during the 80s. The bars in the Irish communities are full of them. A lot of these people worked cash in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

biko wrote: »

Never knew that.

Yep I’d say either QIH or internal sf/ra turmoil

So it's just a coincidence that this happened just a few days after he made a speech on asylum seekers?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

So if you don’t agree with the progressive left you are “far right”

I am old enough to remember what the real far right looked and sounded like

Big mistake pigeonholing people like this

Any wankpuffin with a phone can 'issue a death threat', in fairness...

And the Gardai can trace the call and they'd get to the bottom of it very quickly if it was a wankpuffin. They are very good when it comes to dealing with this sort of thing to be fair to them.

not condoning the car burn out but It could lead to him stepping down from politics and someone anti asylum centre who actually represents the locals stepping in?

Yeah the smart money is on Justin Barrett to take a seat in Sligo/Leitrim at the next election:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

So it's just a coincidence that this happened just a few days after he made a speech on asylum seekers?

He also made comments comparing that truck with 39 dead to coffin ships, had a go at the DUP over brexit, spoke out against a liquid natural gas proposal for the area, and said hate speech laws should be introduced.

should we blame it on all those things ?

politicians speak all the time, the media and people here have just connected it to the fake far-right bogeyman in ireland to feel better.

Yeah, if it had something to do with his speech or stance on asylum seekers then any one of a number of politicians in the country would have been subject to threats. Charlie Flanagan condemned the attack on the hotel in Donegal late last year and nothing happened to him. The chairman of Leitrim County Council was on the radio after the attack on the hotel in January, Radio 1 again and nothing happened to him. That man was from FF. Can't remember his name.

The abuse of the term is a joke. Some of the posters here think that FF & FG are right wing. Beyond a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Boggles wrote: »

An extremely long custodial sentence is the only way to deal with such filth.

It's Ireland we don't do long custodial sentences a slap on the wrist and an insurance increase for the sinner

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The idea is to censor anyone that doesn't agree with them under the guise of hate speech ,phobic this ,ist that,anti something as long as they have the only say .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just to say I don’t condone the attack but you’d hope that the sf guy thinks again and maybe supports the locals from now on instead of jumping on the racist bandwagon in the dail.

That craic is too easy. Ppl see through it straight off.

He should apologise or else maybe resign and let a proper representative of the town take his dail seat and tell Leo and the rest of them what they think of this “forcing asy seekers on ppl who do not want them” attitude

Just from listening and watching the news the locals are twice as determined now not to let asy seekers into their village. Sf guys stunt in the dail seems to have failed.

Berserker wrote: »
    Yeah, if it had something to do with his speech or stance on asylum seekers then any one of a number of politicians in the country would have been subject to threats. Charlie Flanagan condemned the attack on the hotel in Donegal late last year and nothing happened to him. The chairman of Leitrim County Council was on the radio after the attack on the hotel in January, Radio 1 again and nothing happened to him. That man was from FF. Can't remember his name.

And Jo Cox can't have been murdered by a far-right extremist, because pro-Remain MPs are not being gunned down every week in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

It's the same old tactic 'if you're not for us, then you're agin us' argument.

Re Ballinamore, on my few visits there would have thought it was a bit more Republican with a capital R than you'd find elsewhere. So surprising that the SF rep is seemingly out of step with many of the local residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

Damned migrants - they should all be sent back to Botswana. Or put in a big centre beside Dublin airport. Am I right or what?

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-50210701

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Re Ballinamore, on my few visits there would have thought it was a bit more Republican with a capital R than you'd find elsewhere. So surprising that the SF rep is seemingly out of step with many of the local residents.

It is & he isn't. There's a few locals shouting much louder than others
    Gordon Hughes was himself a fine geal councillor

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

the arrival of asylum seekers and a process that is so protracted it negates there claim records show up to 90% not genuine so our government is trying to secretly placed them in some rural communities no consultation for fear of opposition we all know this is EU directed some countries like poland and hungry have said no non violent opposition should be organized and not tagged as being far right as is the media spin

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ppl are jumping to conclusions about the motives for the car burn out. It could have been for many reasons. Let’s wait and see

Gemma O'Doherty is more or less saying it was the far right over on twitter. Just sayin.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Gemma O'Doherty is more or less saying it was the far right over on twitter. Just sayin.

Well I’d be of the view that whatever she’s saying it’s probably wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Why are you tarring me with racist hints about apartheid etc. I’m trying to come up with win win solutions for asy seekers and the communities around irl who do not want the centres.

Because your proposed system is inhumane, ghetto and prison like, does not foster integration and requires huge resources to build the facilities you speak of, current facilities around the country can already be used, your proposal requires new facilities. Its unworkable, expensive and a really bad solution for asylum seekers.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement