Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum Seekers Getting Apartments in Ballinamore - mod warning in OP (18/10)

Options
1414243444547»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭marsbar1

1641 wrote: »
    You have brought this up several times. It seems like a diversion.

Firstly, at what cost are the houses being made available? It wouldn't want to seem that anyone was out to profit unduly from this, would it?

As I understand it, people in direct provision get about €39 per week. How are they going to live in a house on this? Food, clothing, heating, electricity, etc.? Do you thing the asylum-hating brigade wouldn't just be waiting to make another issue of it if people were to be given an increased payment to reflect these costs?
    What "integration" is going to take place if people are going to be scattered in one off houses around the island, particularly if it is short term? Is this appropriate until some determination is made about there status?
    What actual problem have the "good folk" with people staying in an hotel?
    Are these houses being provided for them for free?
    Are they allowed to move from Ballinamore if they don't like it there?
    Say to Dublin? For work or just to be nearer other immigrants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

RTE doing their utmost to feed the agenda today with the syrian girl who is getting a scolarship to RCSI. Hundreds of scolarships handed out every year to students coming from all sorts of socio economic backgrounds in Ireland and not a word but sure here we have one.

One girl becoming a doctor and we're supposed to wash over all the problems.
    RCSI? I wonder how many points she got in the leaving cert?
    Not enough to get into medicine obviously. RCSI is a private medical school for people with more money than brains.
    I hope she does well, but its not fair to give this advantage to foreign students while leaving the young Irish to slog it out with each other in the points race for scarce places in the public system.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,960 ✭✭✭✭elperello

recedite wrote: »
    Not enough to get into medicine obviously. RCSI is a private medical school for people with more money than brains.
    I hope she does well, but its not fair to give this advantage to foreign students while leaving the young Irish to slog it out with each other in the points race for scarce places in the public system.

She got 587

The minimum requirement for RCSI is 480

https://www.rcsi.com/dublin/undergraduate/medicine/entry-requirements#anchor_1516626670615

• Registered Users Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

This has got to be one of the most pathetic posts I have seen on this forum, full of jealousy and a hint of racism thrown in for good measure.

Here is the articles on the girl.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/syrian-refugee-student-wins-state-scholarship-1.4074645

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i-want-to-be-able-to-give-back-teenage-syrian-refugee-wins-5kayear-scholarship-to-study-medicine-38667674.html

"This year she secured a place studying medicine at the Royal College of Surgeons Ireland after an impressive Leaving Cert which included top marks in chemistry and biology."

On your point about slogging it out im sure it was very easy for her leaving a war torn country at 14 years old into DP and sit the junior cert.

Maybe save your rage for something more suitable?

elperello wrote: »

Actually, if you read further down the page in your link, it looks to me like even the RCSI is around 550 points, plus HPAT exam, plus the money. But I'm no expert on it.
    I know there's plenty of wealthy hijab wearing students in there already, so she will feel right at home.

She would have needed 730 points inc HPAT to get into nearby TCD, competing against regular Irish students. HPAT averages at around 150 special points AFAIK, so that would be around 580 net CAO points, similar to the 590 for dentistry.
    http://www2.cao.ie/points/l8.php#tr8

Where did you get the 587 figure from anyway? Does that include the HPAT points?
    I think you'd need more than 2 subjects with "top marks" to get into medicine.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

RCSI is 480 points plus a shedload of money.
    There's plenty of wealthy hijab wearing students in there already, so she will feel right at home.
    She would have needed 730 points to get into nearby TCD, competing against regular Irish students.

Where did you get the 587 figure from anyway?
    Its a good LC in fairness, but nowhere near good enough for medicine.
    You'd need a lot more than 2 subjects with "top marks".

What exactly ires you about her situation? Because she’s muslim? Dont really know why it bothers you so much.

sk8erboii wrote: »
    What exactly ires you about her situation? Because she’s muslim? Dont really know why it bothers you so much.
    Not that, no. There's a few things I'd like to know more about. I see the family came to Ireland from UAE where they had been living for a few years. RCSI have a base over there in Dubai to cater for the lucrative Arab market. Coincidence?

Dubai and the other Emirates are of course some of the wealthiest places on the planet. But the family would have had to pay up-front to study at RCSI over there. The mother and daughter then came over here and served their time in a DP centre, while the father continued working in UAE. (All this from the Irish Times link above)
    Then the daughter succeeded in getting some kind of entrance scholarship to RCSI for disadvantaged students, plus she got the new €5k per year govt. Campbell bursary.

In principle I think its a good thing for a student that is "poor but bright" to get into college. However I'm not sure that its relevant in 21st century Ireland when SUSI already operates a grants system to pay for fees and maintenance, and this system applies fairly to everyone.

I suspect that a lot of schemes have appeared in recent years to get asylum seekers into universities, in order to increase the appearance of "diversity" in them. And these operate at a fairly low level of educational achievement.

Maybe this girl did get exceptionally high CAO points. Maybe the family were persecuted in Dubai and had to seek asylum in faraway Ireland. Maybe we are being taken for a ride. None of it is fully transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I’m delighted for her, seems like a really decent human, grateful for the opportunity snd extremely hardworking. No bitter hatred of others who are not the same religion, in fact she lauded the Irish welcome, obviously she didn’t encounter the sort that infests these threads.

If it wasn’t for non Irish medical staff, including plenty of Muslims, so despised and feared on here, the system would collapse within days btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I’m delighted for her, seems like a really decent human, grateful for the opportunity snd extremely hardworking. No bitter hatred of others who are not the same religion, in fact she lauded the Irish welcome, obviously she didn’t encounter the sort that infests these threads.

If it wasn’t for non Irish medical staff, including plenty of Muslims, so despised and feared on here, the system would collapse within days btw.

You mean there are illegal immigrants/economic migrants working in our hospitals etc?? No one has anything bad to say about people who come here via legal routes to contribute to society.

But you keep on strawmanning if it makes you feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

Not enough to get into medicine obviously.
    RCSI is a private medical school for people with more money than brains.
    Actually, if you read further down the page in your link, it looks to me like even the RCSI is around 550 points, plus HPAT exam, plus the money. But I'm no expert on it.
    I know there's plenty of wealthy hijab wearing students in there already, so she will feel right at home.

She would have needed 730 points inc HPAT to get into nearby TCD, competing against regular Irish students. HPAT averages at around 150 special points AFAIK, so that would be around 580 net CAO points, similar to the 590 for dentistry.

I suspect that a lot of schemes have appeared in recent years to get asylum seekers into universities, in order to increase the appearance of "diversity" in them. And these operate at a fairly low level of educational achievement.

Not that it will make the slightest difference to your bitter bigotry, but the combined HPAT/Leaving Cert points for medicine in Trinity in 2019 was 730 while in the RSCI it was 729.
    http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/2020/UG********2020.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

You mean there are illegal immigrants/economic migrants working in our hospitals etc?? No one has anything bad to say about people who come here via legal routes to contribute to society.

But you keep on strawmanning if it makes you feel better.

The poster was commenting on this specific young woman (subject to the usual bile in previous posts) who came here by a legal route. So who is talking about strawmanning?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

. No bitter hatred of others who are not the same religion, in fact she lauded the Irish welcome, obviously she didn’t encounter the sort that infests these threads.

If it wasn’t for non Irish medical staff, including plenty of Muslims, so despised and feared on here

That is utter nonsense ,there has been no hatred shown towards any religion on here ,
    It's such a shame people can't discuss an issue without some people coming on to threads labelling people as racists , anti Muslim it's stupid ,

Mods have regularly been on this thread along with an admin

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not that it will make the slightest difference to your bitter bigotry,

Why come on to a thread to accuse people of something that is a total lie by yourself

The poster was commenting on this specific young woman (subject to the usual bile in previous posts) who came here by a legal route. So who is talking about strawmanning?

She came from Dubai, after living there for 5 years. While her father stayed there working, hardly fleeing persecution. Also, going by the timeline given by the papers, it's unclear if the war had actually started when they left Syria.

"If it wasn’t for non Irish medical staff, including plenty of Muslims, so despised and feared on here, the system would collapse within days btw." - from the strawmanning poster.

Where did you get the 587 figure from anyway? Does that include the HPAT points?
    I think you'd need more than 2 subjects with "top marks" to get into medicine.

A slightly graceless reply if you don't mind me saying.
    You asked about Leaving Cert results and I gave you the correct information.
    The information was from her school's website.

elperello wrote: »
    A slightly graceless reply if you don't mind me saying.
    You asked about Leaving Cert results and I gave you the correct information.
    The information was from her school's website.
    I'm a skeptic, I like to see the evidence. The 587 seems to be CAO points (net of any HPAT points) in which case I say "well done" to her, its a good enough result for medicine on her own merit.

On whether the family should have got asylum here, coming as they did from UAE, I doubt it. If she stays here and works in the Irish health system, I'm happy enough with the result. If she has a job lined up in a Dubai hospital as soon as she qualifies, I would not see that as a good result.

We have a long tradition of training foreign medical students, including plenty of muslims from UAE, Saudi and Malaysia. When they are trained up they return home and earn the big bucks (tax free in Dubai) In the meantime, we earn foreign currency so it brings money into this country. So everyone's a winner.

This particular situation is different. I would not be surprised if the father had some work contacts with RCSI in Dubai and learned from somebody there how to play the system in Ireland. But on the other hand, it would not have worked out for them if the daughter had not been intelligent and studied hard.

I'm a skeptic, I like to see the evidence. The 587 seems to be CAO points (net of any HPAT points) in which case I say "well done" to her, its a good enough result for medicine on her own merit.

On whether the family should have got asylum here, coming as they did from UAE, I doubt it. If she stays here and works in the Irish health system, I'm happy enough with the result. If she has a job lined up in a Dubai hospital as soon as she qualifies, I would not see that as a good result.

We have a long tradition of training foreign medical students, including plenty of muslims from UAE, Saudi and Malaysia. When they are trained up they return home and earn the big bucks (tax free in Dubai) In the meantime, we earn foreign currency so it brings money into this country. So everyone's a winner.

This particular situation is different. I would not be surprised if the father had some work contacts with RCSI in Dubai and learned from somebody there how to play the system in Ireland. But on the other hand, it would not have worked out for them if the daughter had not been intelligent and studied hard.

Nothing wrong with a bit of sceptism but it's no substitute for research.

Without finding out your facts you can easily stray into conjecture as you have in the post quoted above.

Research can only get you so far. I'd still like to know how many points she got in the LC exam, pure and simple. The school website is not including HPAT points, but may be including other bonus points.
    Back when I did the LC exam, some people were getting bonus points for doing the exams through Irish. Now they seem to be getting them for being asylum seekers, itinerants, or just raving queers.

If they want to eliminate conjecture, they should make public the actual exam grades. It probably not too much to ask when the person is receiving a bursary of substantial public money.

Research can only get you so far. I'd still like to know how many points she got in the LC exam, pure and simple. The school website is not including HPAT points, but may be including other bonus points.
    Back when I did the LC exam, some people were getting bonus points for doing the exams through Irish. Now they seem to be getting them for being asylum seekers, itinerants, or just raving queers.

If they want to eliminate conjecture, they should make public the actual exam grades. It probably not too much to ask when the person is receiving a bursary of substantial public money.

I think we are done here.

• Advertisement

Fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Owner of apartments got injunction to “complete” works so protest stood down for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    130 moving into an apartment block in November. 150 attended a meeting this evening about the plan. Would be good to see locals put a stop to it but probably not. Media pretty quiet so far and I think if this gets the coverage it should it will ramp up tensions....

Interesting SF now appear to support developers been paid to house asylum seekers but not for social housing!! The developer is Paul Collins.

Barry Whyte of Newstalk was in attendance. Cant link his twitter.

Mod warning 18/10/19:
    Did you win?

Advertisement