Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling out fellow cyclists for illegal or dangerous behavior

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

i forgot to include - this was just on fridays.

enough for the weekend then:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The type of defiance you detest 'in cyclists'.

All cyclists? Some cyclists? That cyclist you saw that one time? Me?

I'm a cyclist.... so I can only extrapolate here that I have qualities you detest...that's what you're telling me.

Thanks pal.

No doubt you detest it equally in drivers and pedestrians.

Of course not.

Good god, you're hysterical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

As you know - cyclists are advised in the rules of the road to keep to the left.

Frequently, there is a marked cycle lane to the left as a designated area for cyclists.

Trucks and buses should be to the right of this, not in it.

The situation I describe above is where cyclists are along the left, while the motor traffic is in gridlock and not moving. A very common, almost normal scenario in Dublin city centre.:rolleyes:

So are you suggesting that as I cycle along the LHS of the road, and I come upon a bus telling me not to overtake on the left, which in practice is straight ahead for me, that I should just stop?

Its certainly not in the rules of the road.

Why?

Imo the most dangerous situation you can get into on a bike (in traffic) is passing up the inside of a long vehicle.

Not saying I don't ever do it, but I don't do it unless I am confident I will be able to quickly pass it and certainly don't do it unless I am certain I can get past it before there is any chance it will turn left. They are massive, heavy and I always assume the driver has no idea I am there. Not willing to gamble my life on the driver understanding the purpose and importance of using his indicators.

Often I swing around outside one, if traffic is gridlocked both ways, especially if there are any left turns coming up.

This is the one thing I emphasise more than any other to my kids when they are on their bikes as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Good god, you're hysterical.

mod note - if you cannot engage in a civil manner, please do not post in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Fian wrote: »
    Imo the most dangerous situation you can get into on a bike (in traffic) is passing up the inside of a long vehicle.

Not saying I don't ever do it, but I don't do it unless I am confident I will be able to quickly pass it and certainly don't do it unless I am certain I can get past it before there is any chance it will turn left. They are massive, heavy and I always assume the driver has no idea I am there. Not willing to gamble my life on the driver understanding the purpose and importance of using his indicators.

Often I swing around outside one, if traffic is gridlocked both ways, especially if there are any left turns coming up.

This is the one thing I emphasise more than any other to my kids when they are on their bikes as well.

/gives out to Fian for "weaving".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

As you know - cyclists are advised in the rules of the road to keep to the left.

Frequently, there is a marked cycle lane to the left as a designated area for cyclists.

The situation I describe above is where cyclists are along the left, while the motor traffic is in gridlock and not moving. A very common, almost normal scenario in Dublin city centre.:rolleyes:

So are you suggesting that as I cycle along the LHS of the road, and I come upon a bus telling me not to overtake on the left, which in practice is straight ahead for me, that I should just stop?

Why?

Are you talking about situations where a cycle lane exists or doesn’t or both. Your original post didn’t specify.

Where a cycle lane is present I would proceed provided the bus or truck is not blocking or half blocking it. If it is I would stay behind.

Where there is no cycle lane I would also stay behind.

To do otherwise is risky in my opinion regardless of whatever interpretation you apply to the ROR.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

hesker wrote: »
    Are you talking about situations where a cycle lane exists or doesn’t or both. Your original post didn’t specify.

Where a cycle lane is present I would proceed provided the bus or truck is not blocking or half blocking it. If it is I would stay behind.

Where there is no cycle lane I would also stay behind.

To do otherwise is risky in my opinion regardless of whatever interpretation you apply to the ROR.

It is kind of irrelevant which scenario as these signs say - you will see them used by prominent private coach company, all white - they simply say: do not pass on the left.....

Not "do not pass on the left, except where....." it simply says "do not pass on the left".

And since these are motorized vehicles, versus a bike which is not, you are only passing these guys if they are stationary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

CramCycle wrote: »
    What a muppet, I can imagine the conversation if you were a Garda.
    Garda: FPN so, whats your name and address?
    Muppet: Dave from town,
    Garda: Do you have ID to prove that, No, oh well, bike seizure it is so.

haha I really look absolutely nothing like a garda either, long hair, beard, visible tattoos.. I was quite confused when he asked me if I was going to give him a warning :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

okay, i get that you don't want to cycle on the road across the east link - but cycling on the footpath at much faster than walking pace is a dick move. especially when you see a woman with a buggy and small child in front of you and wait for them to stop and let you past, instead of you stopping and letting them past.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mikekerry

now that the dark evenings have arrived the amount of cyclists I've seen already cycling home in the pitch dark without a light or a reflector jacket on is just crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

CramCycle wrote: »
    I weave all the time, in fact at several points on the N11 I find myself in the driving lane on the bike as the bike lane is blocked with white vans, the bus lane is blocked with left turning vehicles and stopped buses. For the most part I get no hassle, I look, I indicate, I look again and if safe move over. Weaving is just a word to imply that the cyclist is acting without due caution and consideration, it should not be used as the negative connotations paint an untrue picture to the reader/listener in many cases.
    weaving in traffic is one (if not THE) main advantage of cycling in the city centre! ;)

Why?

That’s where weaving/filtering comes in. Just pass the bus on the right. If the bus happens to be in a line of traffic and is “definitely “ not going to move, then proceed to pass on the left, BUT, if you are in any doubt, pass on the right. (At least, this is what I do)

mikekerry wrote: »
    now that the dark evenings have arrived the amount of cyclists I've seen already cycling home in the pitch dark without a light or a reflector jacket on is just crazy.

Don’t worry... the Gardai will be out soon handing out Hi viz jackets to these muppets! ( IMO, they shoul confiscate their bikes on the spot!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

And since these are motorized vehicles, versus a bike which is not, you are only passing these guys if they are stationary.

Or if they’re swinging wide to turn left which is what the warning is about for the most part I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Time wrote: »
    Imagine how many convictions Angela Fahy would be responsible for then!

Detailed complaint made about her to Gardai, and Data Protection Commission.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

mikekerry wrote: »

I’ve started asking, no pleading with them to get lights. One near invisible guy asked sarcastically if I were the bike police. He changed his tune and agreed with me after the bollocking I gave him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭dubrov

5uspect wrote: »
    I’ve started asking, no pleading with them to get lights. One near invisible guy asked sarcastically if I were the bike police. He changed his tune and agreed with me after the bollocking I gave him.

Well, are you the bike police?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Have enough of my own **** to be worrying about tbh. The only time it does potentially effect me is if going to overtake someone on a two way cycle track, any other time it gets filed under "other people's business".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Regarding what specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Stark wrote: »
    Have enough of my own **** to be worrying about tbh. The only time it does potentially effect me is if going to overtake someone on a two way cycle track, any other time it gets filed under "other people's business".

I do sometimes tell people who have gone to some trouble to put on a decent light, but not noticed that their coat, bag, rear mudguard or whatever is obscuring it totally. I presume they'd like to know. If someone hasn't got lights at all, they already know they don't have lights. I guess there might be a very rare case where a light fell off without them noticing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I'm very surprised the Gardai took a complaint about someone who is acting completely within the law. Surely you'd be better complaining about the actions she highlights no?
    Article 2 wrote: »
    2(c) This Regulation does not apply to the processing of personal data by a natural person in the course of a purely personal or household activity;
    Recital 18 wrote: »
    Personal or household activities could include correspondence and the holding of addresses, or social networking and online activity undertaken within the context of such activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I do sometimes tell people who have gone to some trouble to put on a decent light, but not noticed that their coat, bag, rear mudguard or whatever is obscuring it totally. I presume they'd like to know....
    I was coming out of Skerries a couple of years ago around 5 or 6am in winter - dark unlit twisty semi-rural road. I gradually caught up with another cyclist who had a good front light but no rear. As I closed in, I realised he had a rear light but it wasn't on. I presumed he either forgot to turn it on, the battery died, or it had malfunctioned.

Exchanged a few friendly words as I passed and pointed out that his rear light was off. "Ah I know" says he "I usually switch it on when I get to Dublin". WTF? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Time wrote: »
    I'm very surprised the Gardai took a complaint about someone who is acting completely within the law. Surely you'd be better complaining about the actions she highlights no?
    Angela has a particular soft spot for cyclists and no concept of cycling laws. I'm personally not comfortable with her creeping around my neighbourhood filming people to put on Instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I do sometimes tell people who have gone to some trouble to put on a decent light, but not noticed that their coat, bag, rear mudguard or whatever is obscuring it totally. I presume they'd like to know. If someone hasn't got lights at all, they already know they don't have lights. I guess there might be a very rare case where a light fell off without them noticing.

See so many like this it's unreal.....

How would you not notice the light is behind a fixed solid object on the bike such as you said tyre or mudguard....

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

'Calling out' has to be the most irritating expression of our age.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

LennoxR wrote: »
    'Calling out' has to be the most irritating expression of our age.

Agreed, we aren't street fighting FFS. I point out things to people, either because first impressions are they don't realise (light not on, jacket covering, can't see the light they have etc. or because I think that their muppetry makes it a slightly less safe ride. I use a different tone for both groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

Intel in Leixlip must have a ban on bike lights, daily I see several emerge without lights and I've given up saying anything most just reply sure I'm only on the path or I'm not going that far and there's street lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

axer wrote: »
    Cycling home yesterday I see a cyclist ahead of me making their way through a red light at a traffic junction. As he was going through the junction I see a car has also broken their red light coming from the side. The cyclist gives the driver a big shake of their head to show his disapproval. He then proceeds to continue through the junction on red and then through a pedestrian crossing while it is green for pedestrians.

I caught up with the cyclist a few junctions later. I really couldn't resist calling him out for being a hypocrite as id never seen anything as hypocritical before. He looked at me confused then all he could say was what the car did was dangerous. I pointed out how ridiculous that argument is and how can he expect others to follow the rules of the road if he doesn't. He then proceeded to take off through red lights again (green for pedestrians).

The only other time I pointed something out to a fellow cyclist was when they had veered into another lane to overtake a parked bus without a hand signal or a glance over their shoulder. Their rear wheel ended up a few centimeters from the front bumper of a car they crossed in front of. Again, confused look on their face when I pointed out how close to having an accident they were. Completely oblivious. Id like to think that maybe they might think the next time but that might be wishful thinking.

It gets me thinking, should we as cyclists be calling out illegal or dangerous behavior of other cyclists (could include pedestrians/motorists but this is a cycling forum so focusing on fellow cyclists)? Have you ever done it? Do you think it would affect behavior if more people did it through a type of social pressure or do you think the blind / ignorant will just continue to be no matter what do is a waste of time?

I don't think it is up to cyclists to police other cyclists, or that they should be expected to, but the way I see it is I am also a motorist and a pedestrian so such behavior affects me in situations where I can't then challenge them as it is easier for a cyclist (and pedestrian) to move off quickly e.g. Cycling through a pedestrian crossing while im crossing on green or a pedestrian running across the road in front of cyclists etc. So I feel we should as cyclists point out illegal or dangerous behavior to other cyclists because we can - for the sake of road safety. What do you think?

Personally I have and at the time the two elderly cyclists who were repeatedly breaking red lights because they couldnt be bothered unclipping at junctions, could see my grievance as a fellow cyclist. The problem with highlighting other road users' transgressions is its rarely met with an agreeable reaction in fact some could respond to your criticism with violence so I would exercise caution when being vocal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Do Deliveroo have a special pass for no lights, having them on back to front (red on the front, white on the back) or my favourite flashing blue lights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Do Deliveroo have a special pass for no lights, having them on back to front (red on the front, white on the back) or my favourite flashing blue lights?

This the same deliveroo crowd who cellotape those huge battery packs to their downtubes ? Ive seen some of them using Dublin bikes to do deliveries #madness

Advertisement