Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Network Switch

Options
  • 17-10-2019 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

I just did a rewire on my house, and I am looking for suggestions for a 24 port network switch.

I have a decent router, so I think unmanaged should do....although I like the idea of VLANs for Guests/Cameras etc. so I am open to managed swicth suggestions too.

It definitely needs to be Rack Mounted, 24 Port, PoE enabled.

Any general suggestions or recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

You could go for a smart switch which is sort of semi managed. It would allow you do vlans and a good number of other things. It's extremely rare that you would miss having a full managed switch in a non-coporate world imho. I find Netgear great bang for buck for home/office use and have had great experience with them. Check amazon for reviews/prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I love Netgear but you're talking 200 quid for managed and Poe

NETGEAR 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus PoE Switch (JGS524PE) - with 12 x PoE @ 100W, Desktop/Rackmount, and ProSAFE Lifetime Protection https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F3XSM6I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_k2iQDbEYPKCWX

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭comfort

Wow, I have four 8 port switch (tp-link) around the house but having more wifi than ethernet issues after purchasing a Linksys Velop system.

I have broadband with SKY and have a download speed of 70mb and 20mb up. The router is as I always state cheap and just does the job but poor on WiFi and I know purchasing a modem/router from a tech shop or online would be better. I decided to get the Linksys Velop Mesh System and have 3 nodes in the pack. Node 1 is connected to the sky router. Node 2 is on the same floor on the other side of the house in the dinning room and connects fine. Node 3 is on the second floor in the landing outside the main bedroom and connects fine also. I found that after contacting support etc and going through the options using the iOS Linksys Velop App had to put the Velop system into bridge mode and turn off the wifi on the sky router as there would be two wifi networks on the go and would cause issues.

There are times that I find that the wifi for some devices just isn't doing what it says on the tin. My question is the following (at last and apologies for going on but I thought that background info might be important) I have read that the Velop system is actually a wifi router mesh system - so do I really need the Sky Router and just purchase a modem (a decent one) that I can connect the Velop Node 1 to it and then turn off bridge mode for the Velop system and have my wifi in full flow and obviously the ethernet will continue to work through the modem ?

Any advice would be gratefully accepted and if any questions please by all means respond and ask. Which would be the best modem out there to do the job and give me complete full wifi everywhere in the house.

My initial plan was to have Node 2 on the second floor on the opposite side of Node 1 and then Node 3 on the 3rd floor (attic converted) and this I would have presumed would give full wifi speed all over the house - granted I know that the full speed would be dependent on the number of wifi attached devices are currently running also and there are a lot with 3 kids nearly out of their teens but big into internet (gaming online, smart tv's, 2 x NAS devices, several Playstations and so on)

Many thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

I've got a 16 port Buffalo PoE managed switch that I'm selling if you (or anyone else) is interested. Will let go for €75.

It's this model.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Am mentioned in PM, Davo, I need a 24 port.

Probably going to pull the trigger on this in the next day or two - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MT7WL6S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

I don't like the fact that it might be louder than expected. It will be in a press, in a network cabinet in an office, so hopefully it will be inaudible in the rest of the house.

There is always the fan-less model, but that does not have PoE....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Am mentioned in PM, Davo, I need a 24 port.

Probably going to pull the trigger on this in the next day or two - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MT7WL6S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

I don't like the fact that it might be louder than expected. It will be in a press, in a network cabinet in an office, so hopefully it will be inaudible in the rest of the house.

There is always the fan-less model, but that does not have PoE....

Why do you need a 24 port switch?

Myself, I use a smaller POE switch for the POE devices and a larger switch for the other stuff.

Large POE switch's need to account for loads of power, which means large power delivery, which leads to loads of heat. So they get powerful fans. You pick up a 60watt 8 port 2530 switch and you can run a couple of AP's and Cameras off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Why do you need a 24 port switch?

Myself, I use a smaller POE switch for the POE devices and a larger switch for the other stuff.

Large POE switch's need to account for loads of power, which means large power delivery, which leads to loads of heat. So they get powerful fans. You pick up a 60watt 8 port 2530 switch and you can run a couple of AP's and Cameras off it.

I just did a rewire, and I have that many ports all over and around the house (office/media center/cameras, AP's etc.). I was basically future proofing while all the walls were open. But I take your point, I might looks at the fan-less model, and buy a smaller fan-less PoE switch too, as I don't have that many PoE devices yet.

I wanted to kill two birds with one stone, but the more I think about it, it would drive me insane if the fan kept spinning up and I could hear it.

Advertisement