Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Grand Slam of Darts - 9th - 17th Nov

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

and there you go again...ignore the actual facts I posted, and make it about the poster instead.

What i wrote was true. Unless you are deaf, how can you not hear the ass kissing of durrant by mardle.

The averages I posted were genuine facts. Harrington averaged the same as durrant , and Harrington was well beaten.

Is posting facts now negative just because you dont like them ?

Durrant is one of the top players in the world both on the floor and tv. Comparing an average over a few days isn't a great marker of ability.

Why do you watch a sport in which you dislike every single player. Have you ever played darts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

US2 wrote: »
    Durrant is one of the top players in the world
    Wow, you actually believe that ?
    Here are some more stats for you, Durrant has lost to 45 different players in PDC competition.
    Lost over 50 games this year in the PDC.

Had to depend on a league spot to get through Q- school after losing to players like herewini, tipple and others
    The number of players who have beaten him multiple times this year alone is almost in double figures.
    What has he won in the PDC ?
    2 players championship this year, ,then so has brendan dolan, ratajski, De Sousa, and many others won far more than that.
    Is De sousa one of the best in the world ?

I think Durrant is a good player, a nice guy, and he even did an interview with me in the past but he is not one of the best in the world and will admit that himself.
    Lakesh1tes mean nothing in the PDC, ask klaasen, kist, beaton and all the others that won it.
    If he wins a proper pdc major, maybe then he can be put in that bracket.

Enlighten me, why do you think he is one of the best in the world as opposed to just a decent player?
    I am curious what barometer you judge greatness by.

As to your idiotic statement did I ever play darts, yes I did, and even if I didnt that means nothing.
    I never played premier league football, and I can have an opinion on that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Durrant is obviously at least a top 10 player which puts him as one of the best in the world. He is behind MvG, Anderson, Wright, Cross and possibly Smith but he's well able to beat any of them as he proved at the Matchplay and is arguable top of the 'second string' group. Averages don't matter at all as long as you win the game.

And Justin you well know that Ryan Harrington's average was inflated by the fact he was hammered and threw only 8 darts at double. Comparing Duzza's average last night in a tight pressure filled game to Harrington's hammering is unbelievably disingenuous. It's really scraping the barrel to try get a dig in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

this thread is becoming a sh!t show fellas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Being one of the best in the world is a top 16 player.
    Your are ranked in the top 16 in the world of darts , its fairly easy ?
    Duzza has performed on the floor and done decent on tv , for a old player to switch from playing the total crap in the bdo in front of 12 pensioners to doing it infront of 2k noisey drunks , is impressive no matter what way you look at it , he was under huge pressure to perform as so many said he would not cut it , and he has so far.
    He is not mvg , taylor or anderson , but nobody is saying he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

How does Durrant's first season compare with the first season Cross had at this stage of the year rankings wise

In fairness to Durrant he came in under so much pressure straight away with the majority of people saying he was a big fish in a small pond and he had the immediate pressure to prove them wrong

He has not been at his best this tournament but is grinding out results like good players do but unless his form improves he won't go much further

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Used to enjoy reading these threads (don't post much). One person's posts are ruining all of the threads for everyone else, it's painful to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Durrant is one of the better players in the PDC at the moment, to suggest otherwise is a bit ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

qwabercd wrote: »
    Used to enjoy reading these threads (don't post much). One person's posts are ruining all of the threads for everyone else, it's painful to read.

Im the exact same I used to like coming in and hearing the results/news/gossip but now the whole darts forum is so negative.

Amazing how many people dont like actual stats posted.

As for this notion by US2 asking if I play darts, as if playing the game entitles me more to an opinion.

It is beyond stupid to suggest you have to play the game to comment on it by that logic no one on here could comment on the premier league, F1, Tennis,
    I have not said anything bad about durrant, even mentioned hoe i think he is a nice guy, and a decent player, but unless you win actual tropgies you are not one of the best in the world.

Ian White, Dave chisnall and many others rare in the top ten, but have never won anything of note ever, are they also best in the world ?
    To me best in the world is those that actually win events in the PDC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

qwabercd wrote: »
    nannerby wrote: »
    Im the exact same I used to like coming in and hearing the results/news/gossip but now the whole darts forum is so negative.

One poster is not indicative of the rest of the forum, in fact his opinions have been challenged by the majority as being far too negative.

However if he is really annoying you then I recommend the ignore button ;)

I am not breaking any rules, and am entitled to post my opinion which the facts back me up on.
    If people find that negative that is their issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Justin is good fun in fairness.

Think you are wrong to obsess about people being high in the rankings without winning though. A huge factor in this will be the dominance of a few.
    e.g., in tennis only 4 of the current top 16 have won a major (the big 3 players and Stan Wawrinka) but ultimately someone still has to be no5 in the world.

Conversely golf hasn't had a dominating presence since Tiger crashed, and the majors get spread round such that many of the top 16 have binked one.
    All this really means is that golf no1 in the rankings changes hands on a monthly/weekly basis and is a bit of a false title to possess.
    Darts rankings are terribly organised, I agree with you there.
    Hearns obsession with 'point for pound' is ridiculous, especially when first place money is often 2+ times runners-up money, and semi-finals are half again.
    But realistically your bete-noires like Chizzy and Smith are still going to be in any fairly organised Top 10.

Agree Armani. The rankings dont reflect the true quality nor factor in the effect of the difference between winning on tv, and on the floor off TV.

People think of Wade as one of the older players, having won multiple majors , yet Dave chisnall is 3 years older and has won nothing of note.
    Michael Smith is the #3 player in the world and has won nothing of note EVER.

Smith might be ranked 3, but look at his record against Wade, where he lost to Wade 16 times out of 20.
    Are we expected to believe based on rankings there are only 2 players better than him.
    Again we have people like Mardle tell us how he is best in the world.

In the pdc Price, Aspinall, Cross, Wade, Anderson, MVG , gurney etc all who have won majors are better than smith in my opinion and would back them to beat smith .

Take Ian White, who has lost all NINE quarter finals on TV, and always finds a way to choke. We have to listen to comms tell us how he is one of the best, when all he has is consistency over the year on the floor, and is not a tv player no matter how much they spin it.

Seriously who would back white or chizzy or Smith with their record of bottling it, against a proven winner ?

Reason I asked if you played darts wasn't to validate your opinion or anything, I want to know how you dispise this great game and all its players so much.

Over the last 10 months Durrant has consistently proved his top class player. U mention de Sousa , ratajski and Dolan, what did they do on tv? Glen qualifed for most tv tournaments and got to the semis of sky's big two majors aswell as winning floor events. He's banged in big averages on tv too.

Reason I asked if you played darts wasn't to validate your opinion or anything, I want to know how you dispise this great game and all its players so much.

Over the last 10 months Durrant has consistently proved his top class player. U mention de Sousa , ratajski and Dolan, what did they do on tv? Glen qualifed for most tv tournaments and got to the semis of sky's big two majors aswell as winning floor events. He's banged in big averages on tv too.

"dispise" ? I presume you mean despise, but I don't despise the game in fact love the game , if you read things different that is only your negative reaction to my opinion which as I said is validated by the facts I posted.

To me it is very simple logic, you cannot be one of the best in the world without winning pdc major titles. That is why I am consistent in believing Smith, White, Chisnall are not best in the world either.
    It is not a difficult concept to grasp.

"dispise" ? I presume you mean despise, but I don't despise the game in fact love the game , if you read things different that is only your negative reaction to my opinion which as I said is validated by the facts I posted.

To me it is very simple logic, you cannot be one of the best in the world without winning pdc major titles. That is why I am consistent in believing Smith, White, Chisnall are not best in the world either.
    It is not a difficult concept to grasp.

Saying Smith isn't one of the best in the world proves how deluded you are. Suppose Liverpool aren't one of the best teams in the premier league cos they haven't won it.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    One poster is not indicative of the rest of the forum, in fact his opinions have been challenged by the majority as being far too negative.

However if he is really annoying you then I recommend the ignore button ;)

Where is this ignore button you speak of ? I can't help but take the bait everytime

Saying Smith isn't one of the best in the world proves how deluded you are. Suppose Liverpool aren't one of the best teams in the premier league cos they haven't won it.

History will remember the PL winners, like Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, etc.

Tell me, is Ronnie Baxter who never won a major, or chris Mason, or Terry Jenkins who never won majors, will they go down as best ever ?
    No despite them being highly ranked at the time.

History will remember the PL winners, like Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, etc.

Tell me, is Ronnie Baxter who never won a major, or chris Mason, or Terry Jenkins who never won majors, will they go down as best ever ?
    No despite them being highly ranked at the time.

We're talking about right now, in current form, not history. No one said anything about best ever

• Advertisement

tell me how is Smith one of the best in the world then ?
    What do you base this claim on ?
    It cannot be his list of major titles since he has none.
    His record against opponents ranked lower than him in major finals and semi finals is abysmal for a player ranked #3

Do you really believe there are only 2 players better than smith in the PDC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Smith is the rankings outlier alright - he bagged £200K in the Worlds by reaching the final only facing one t32 seed (John Henderson) along the way.
    Take that £200K away totally (pretend he was ill and earned nothing that comp) and he drops outside the T10.
    http://www.dartsdatabase.co.uk/Rankings.aspx

Now it's not his fault the draw opened up, but does show one of the flaws in the point-for-pound system when a good draw in the tourney with such a huge money weighting can send you up so many places.

Smith is the rankings outlier alright - he bagged £200K in the Worlds by reaching the final only facing one t32 seed (John Henderson) along the way.
    Take that £200K away totally (pretend he was ill and earned nothing that comp) and he drops outside the T10.
    http://www.dartsdatabase.co.uk/Rankings.aspx

Now it's not his fault the draw opened up, but does show one of the flaws in the point-for-pound system when a good draw in the tourney with such a huge money weighting can send you up so many places.

totally agree.

For me a top player is a player not only capable of winning majors but does so.
    MVG,Ando, Cross,Wade, Gurney, Price etc ...all better than smith

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

and there you go again...ignore the actual facts I posted, and make it about the poster instead.

What i wrote was true. Unless you are deaf, how can you not hear the ass kissing of durrant by mardle.

The averages I posted were genuine facts. Harrington averaged the same as durrant , and Harrington was well beaten.

Is posting facts now negative just because you dont like them ?

There I go again? I don't think i've ever quoted or responded to you. Not that i remember anyhow.

Fact of the matter is that i doubt anyone has any problem if you post facts. More power to you.

However you must be aware that using phases like Vermin Price, Fatpot Lewis, Lakesh1ite are extremely derogatory especially when aimed towards players and most certainly can not be construed as facts.

There's certain players that i don't like, or at least certain antics of certain players - one of whom you mentioned above however i think that 99% of posters are able to express this more eloquently that you.

Far be it for me to try and backseat mod in any way but perhaps you should look at your posting style cause in my opinion if you did you could be a very valuable poster here. Judging by the responses on this thread i'm not the only person to think so.

Degag wrote: »

However you must be aware that using phases like Vermin Price, Fatpot Lewis, Lakesh1ite are extremely derogatory especially when aimed towards players and most certainly can not be construed as facts.

Fatpot is based on his nickname Jackpot because he is Fat

I called lakeside that because it is exactly that, and everyone I know who has stayed there will vouch for that.
    and the standard of darts there is sh1te

and lastly Vermin price, is based not only on the way is sounds like Gerwyn, but applies to the scumbags past behavior, and I do not mean on the oche.

Read this and educate yourself
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/rugby-player-hospitalised-after-brawl-1886421

Fatpot is based on his nickname Jackpot because he is Fat

I called lakeside that because it is exactly that, and everyone I know who has stayed there will vouch for that.
    and the standard of darts there is sh1te

and lastly Vermin price, is based not only on the way is sounds like Gerwyn, but applies to the scumbags past behavior, and I do not mean on the oche.

Read this and educate yourself
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/rugby-player-hospitalised-after-brawl-1886421

I have absolutely no intention in reading that as i'm not the one who needs educating here. If you seriously think that it's ok to use adjectives like those (and others) on a public forum you are seriously deluded so much so that I actually hope you are trolling.

Anyhow..... who said ignore button?

so you comment about me calling price "vermin" for his actions and behavior. and when I show you why, you refuse to read it.

well done on proving your agenda.

so you comment about me calling price "vermin" for his actions and behavior. and when I show you why, you refuse to read it.

well done on proving your agenda.

You are completely missing the point. Just because someone has a shady past or done unscrupulous things doesn't mean you have to bring it up in every post. Whatever he and other players have done has nothing to do with what they are doing up on the oche; which is what i believe what we are here to talk about.

I didn't read it because from a darts context i don't care what he did outside of the sport, like i didn't really care about Phil Taylor or Barney's alledged antics etc etc.

If i did i'd probably go and create a thread in After Hours.

Degag wrote: »
    You are completely missing the point. Just because someone has a shady past or done unscrupulous things doesn't mean you have to bring it up in every post.

show me where I have brought it up in every post.

Somehow I bet you wont, because you cant.

You are not just itching to moan about anything i post, you are making stuff up and even digging up old posts to suit your bias confirmation theory.

• Advertisement

show me where I have brought it up in every post.

Somehow I bet you wont, because you cant.

You are not just itching to moan about anything i post, you are making stuff up and even digging up old posts to suit your bias confirmation theory.

What am i making up? I also note you didn't answer my question to you in my very first post this evening.

I'd suggest you prove your own allegations first before trying to lay any at my doorstep.

Advertisement