Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The attic and turbo training

Options
  • 17-10-2019 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Considering the attic for turbo training. It’s at least well away from where everyone else is relaxing. Has anyone converted their attic simply for this use. Would there be too much weight bearing across the wooden rafters? It is Nice and cold which helps reduce need for a fan. Was toying with the idea of a flat solid wood panelacross the rafters, a thick carpet or matt enough for the turbo and the bike. Could keep the sound down but am worried about weight. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    Considering the attic for turbo training. It’s at least well away from where everyone else is relaxing. Has anyone converted their attic simply for this use. Would there be too much weight bearing across the wooden rafters? It is Nice and cold which helps reduce need for a fan. Was toying with the idea of a flat solid wood panelacross the rafters, a thick carpet or matt enough for the turbo and the bike. Could keep the sound down but am worried about weight. Any advice appreciated.

Have you neighbours?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I'm not an expert - but the standard rafters in your attic are probably 4 or 6 inch and may not be suited to the load your talking about.
    As far as I know to make an attic a liveable space they usually put in 9 or 12 inch rafters.

It depends on how heavy you, your bike are and your trainer and taking into account the times when you're really going for it.

I'd defo talk to a builder or carpenter if you know one - they'd have a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

KaneToad wrote: »
    Have you neighbours?
    Yes, one side only.

thejaguar wrote: »
    I'm not an expert - but the standard rafters in your attic are probably 4 or 6 inch and may not be suited to the load your talking about.
    As far as I know to make an attic a liveable space they usually put in 9 or 12 inch rafters.

It depends on how heavy you, your bike are and your trainer and taking into account the times when you're really going for it.

I'd defo talk to a builder or carpenter if you know one - they'd have a better idea.

7 inches thick
    I’m 74kg. Bike 8kg
    Maybe a maths expert could tell how downward weight and repetitive force would apply across a certain area

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Can only imagine doing a set of max sprints and falling through the ceiling!!

You'll need a fan either way btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i would imagine that it would be quite noisey too, both for you and those in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    Yes, one side only.

Not sure a trainer in the attic would be suitable, in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If you sheet the floor with heavy 15-20mm ply/MDF sheets (running the sheets across the rafters as opposed to in line with the rafters) the rafter boards will be more than capable of bearing your weight plus bike/turbo.

To be doubly sure, floor a section directly over a partition wall rather than directly over the centre of a room ceiling.

If you sheet the floor with heavy 15-20mm ply/MDF sheets (running the sheets across the rafters as opposed to in line with the rafters) the rafter boards will be more than capable of bearing your weight plus bike/turbo.

To be doubly sure, floor a section directly over a partition wall rather than directly over the centre of a room ceiling.
    I was just onto a buddy who’s a roofer and this is the exact advice given. Thank you.

KaneToad wrote: »
    Not sure a trainer in the attic would be suitable, in that case.

Pay back for their noisy intercoursing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

If you're just putting a section of MDF sheets down, would you need to worry about the fibreglass particles in the air from the insulation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Perspiration is main concern. Depending on how much turboing you'll actually do, if you're at it 4 times a week your attic will start to shtink fairly fast. It really is amazing how hot and sweaty you get very quickly on a stationary bike.

But generally speaking I'm all for having a bike pre-set-up on a turbo. The fewer steps you need to go take between off-couch and on-turbo, the better. One step too many and it's all too easy to go "ah fcuk it, I'll do it tomorrow".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I have indeed and it works a treat. No worries about over heating attics are pretty cold in winter time. :D

Also to add there's absolutely no fear of you breaking joists I'm guessing many don't realise the weight of a cold water tank that's sitting on the joists in nearly everyones attic. In my case I screwed 2x2 battons on top of a few of the joists just to lift the floor above the insulation and not compact it down and then t&g osb flooring works a treat and it's great getting it all out of the way.

It's a constantly evolving set up ;)

Kmumee6QG1kWvTQbqV8r2IE3pRD4iif4cpV6w8MLKQO6vyD9qVY_ECgYEQCrgxpZYm2bA30HAmNMX131U0OI9IzrFD0R466gsM2Fz4prqo5Q8dZMTJ5CQ4kqGbXMhRb9lhLkTXamGs2iaCPRY76GcVD-YAs7ntenhTfBEl6JNs1gbwxNzmdv_B_vOS7JmyhD1Cj9KGHuI2KZTkYfvlxXGpKvdbGgZXG0uHRY0aeGhhQdYSzmnf_ye1bOkglmUoUQkPrQJfSDk-tXsBwxkLWggR0VK29fYABIxGmxWRsnu0wx90Nw2LnGjFrCuLFa3MOnsJ2X_rlj46WXL-QJd29ivjjY11BhiMFDevKEcwBQs_05HJqXVjw35zvVQTNMbQ2-b1jI2q8vEjTjZTIwntKRvBNIqWSmPx_5lGrt0hAFBPJDlRLRmMNJzuFwVYtGQmfJC_WAmcZG4hMhzxeP0cNXEFioFTUiZlz_6RzI_mknn0e2ml3VhqiY1O2gp48-BX1MSU2ba8fXNNuHj8Y66VbR5hu0MRwriI0H2zkMBCiLm3gGy6-IiqjnzUnw_9U97nClO0VNsQeO65kYnsOpqAszuULKUvhtKjt5w9jhCzNoifcX81EVJOUArxjOOjnwDEcmwGSNSCCbvU2ZcYxeOSAODTwz1Q0Gyk9xoqYPnovXqoD92dBaUQXyr4EP6q6-65UeSMgJVme1ytvG-pz1rzmAWd1EOZcoYd39LrwHttN0-wTeGCkC=w499-h664-no

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

^^^
    I'm seeing TVs, Laptops, Sound systems, chairs. Surprised there's room for a bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I have indeed and it works a treat. No worries about over heating attics are pretty cold in winter time. :D

Do you have a window in the roof also? I can't imagine air circulation is too good in an attic, not to mention the "woody" smell and i'm sure the water tank doesn't smell like roses either...

It amazes me that people need TV type stuff to entertain them on the turbo, surely you need to focus on the session? The image above gives me a headache, too much going on to give a session 100 % focus for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Kinda surprised by this comment, as I have two fans going even in the winter in my unheated shed for the turbo. I think you still need to htfu! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

dahat wrote: »
    It amazes me that people need TV type stuff to entertain them on the turbo, surely you need to focus on the session? The image above gives me a headache, too much going on to give a session 100 % focus for me.

Zwift and smart trainer will sort that out for ye!

Depends on the session. But I can only do that with Smart Trainer/ ERG mode, and really at sub sweet spot stuff at that.

I do some of my training without erg mode (hybrid rollers/ power meter), and any lack of focus and my power drops tbh, even at endurance level stuff.

lennymc wrote: »
    Zwift and smart trainer will sort that out for ye!

Dumb trainer & power meter with music does the job for me, i don't like to over complicate the session.

I did however try a smart trainer with Zwift recently and did enjoy it but i'm happy with my set up.

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Depends on the session. But I can only do that with Smart Trainer/ ERG mode, and really at sub sweet spot stuff at that.

I do some of my training without erg mode (hybrid rollers/ power meter), and any lack of focus and my power drops tbh, even at endurance level stuff.

Too easy get distracted by goings on when a session is started so i'm in the shed with no interuptions to get the max from it if possible.

Too easy get distracted by goings on when a session is started so i'm in the shed with no interuptions to get the max from it if possible.
    Well yes, without ERG mode, podcast or music is about all I can do. Anything sweet spot up I can do with podcasts playing but find I remember nothing of the content!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

I'd be more concerned about lack of proper ventilation within the attic and the possibility of the building fabric getting damaged.

The warm air your breathing out for the duration of the session mixed with the sweat is going to condense and could very quickly start to cause damage to the building fabric in the form of mould growth. Not really healthy or something I'd advise doing.

Up to yourself but just my ¢2.

Well yes, without ERG mode, podcast or music is about all I can do. Anything sweet spot up I can do with podcasts playing but find I remember nothing of the content!

I've started listening to a foodie type one & all I know is she has the most pleasant & softly spoken English accent but what the content is who knows!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'd be more concerned about lack of proper ventilation within the attic and the possibility of the building fabric getting damaged.

The warm air your breathing out for the duration of the session mixed with the sweat is going to condense and could very quickly start to cause damage to the building fabric in the form of mould growth. Not really healthy or something I'd advise doing.

Have you ever gone up to an attic during the height of summer on a hot day? Clearly not because if you had you’d realise the temperature in an attic can be up near 90/100 degree F with very high humidity level to boot and you think one person on a turbo trainer for an hour is going to generate enough warm air to damage the fabric of a building!!!

Have you ever gone up to an attic during the height of summer on a hot day? Clearly not because if you had you’d realise the temperature in an attic can be up near 90/100 degree F with very high humidity level to boot and you think one person on a turbo trainer for an hour is going to generate enough warm air to damage the fabric of a building!!!

Humidity and condensation aren't the same thing but ok.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Do you have a window in the roof also? I can't imagine air circulation is too good in an attic, not to mention the "woody" smell and i'm sure the water tank doesn't smell like roses either...

No window in the roof but plan on getting a couple installed, air circulation isn't an issue, Isn't it funny how wood has a woody smell but it's not an issue either.

No one needs tv stuff but I use the laptop for zwift or music and if I'm just spinning the legs I'd stick on something on netflix on the tv. You're obviously easily distracted so probably best stick with the dumb accesories.
    Kinda surprised by this comment, as I have two fans going even in the winter in my unheated shed for the turbo. I think you still need to htfu! :pac:

Well aren't you just tough as nails. Please STFU

This is the most useless 2c I've ever heard. It's actually so dumb it hurts my head reading it. :rolleyes:

cdaly_ wrote: »
    ^^^
    I'm seeing TVs, Laptops, Sound systems, chairs. Surprised there's room for a bike!

There's actually 5 built bikes up there and probably enough parts to build another few ;) aswell as a bucket load of climbing/hiking gear literally only short the kitchen sink, I probably have a camping sink though if that counts. :D

A tad overloaded on the screens though but I am recovering from a broken collarbone so kinda kills the boredom of just spinning away.

No window in the roof but plan on getting a couple installed, air circulation isn't an issue, Isn't it funny how wood has a woody smell but it's not an issue either.

No one needs tv stuff but I use the laptop for zwift or music and if I'm just spinning the legs I'd stick on something on netflix on the tv. You're obviously easily distracted so probably best stick with the dumb accesories.

Well aren't you just tough as nails. Please STFU

This is the most useless 2c I've ever heard. It's actually so dumb it hurts my head reading it. :rolleyes:

On a roll tonight.

Sure only a post ago you were suggesting that not many people know the weight of their cold water storage tank and sure that sits up in the attic so have at it. 😂

Cold water storage tanks are generally centered between a load bearing wall upon installation so it's not really a fair comparison.

So going to the arguably the coldest area in the house, depending on where the insulation lies within your roof, and sweating profusely for 1 - 2 hours with no adequate ventilation is a good idea in your educated opinion?

Tell ya what, next time your taking a shower, close the windows, don't turn on the heat, make sure there's absolutely no ventilation within the area and turn your shower on for 5 minutes and tell me what happens. Your walls and ceiling get wet.

Ah well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

This is the most useless 2c I've ever heard. It's actually so dumb it hurts my head reading it.

Why is it dumb? most attics tend to be quite dusty and unpleasant places to hang out, I certainly wouldn't want to be hanging out up there unless I covered over the floor completely. Even basic work on a cold night in the attic can become quite warm quite quickly, dank air, poor circulation etc.

As for the cold, you still need air flow IMO, I sweat buckets in the winter if I was on a Turbo. I have done roller work outside at barely above freezing and worked up a sweat.

Advertisement