Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The attic and turbo training

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

CramCycle wrote: »
    Why is it dumb? most attics tend to be quite dusty and unpleasant places to hang out, I certainly wouldn't want to be hanging out up there unless I covered over the floor completely. Even basic work on a cold night in the attic can become quite warm quite quickly, dank air, poor circulation etc.

As for the cold, you still need air flow IMO, I sweat buckets in the winter if I was on a Turbo. I have done roller work outside at barely above freezing and worked up a sweat.

Honestly some folk, I'm telling you something from personal experience of which you have clearly never experienced yet you seem to know better. :rolleyes: I'll leave this now. OP put the trainer wherever you fancy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Honestly some folk, I'm telling you something from personal experience of which you have clearly never experienced yet you seem to know better. :rolleyes: I'll leave this now. OP put the trainer wherever you fancy.

Calm down. My old house you would get choked up doing basic work up there and feel like your in a cooker after a few minutes in winter. My current house, even before the conversion, you would have been fine. In my old house even moving stuff around was deeply unpleasant with the dust and fibres. It was a genuine question, never said I know better, just it wouldn't work for me. Lots of variables to consider (size, insulation, dust etc.) but maybe everyone elses attics is just like yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

while you might be far away from everyone else in the house, bass noise travels along structures, so I'd expect you will piss off everyone else in the house and next door...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

GreeBo wrote: »
    while you might be far away from everyone else in the house, bass noise travels along structures, so I'd expect you will piss off everyone else in the house and next door...

is this accurate though? the new builds are largely timber framed anyway so whether i plonk it in the attic or the first or second floor i would still be generating the same sound. my thinking was that at least in the attic, its far enough away from living areas or bedrooms. and there is at least a solid wall between the immediate neighbour, its not plasterboard. is the sound any worse than a washing machine and/or a tumble dryer on.

had the wahoo on the 3rd floor last year and yes the noise travels but with rubber matting over a carpet it couldnt' be heard 2 stories down.

as for previous posts on ventilation, i presume that one way of alleviating potential build up of condensation would be to keep the entrance door open and, as access to the attic is from an unused bedroom, keep the window open in that room for some element of heat escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

I considered moving my turbo trainer set up to the attic. The main concern for me was breathing in any exposed fibres from the insulation that get kicked up by fans/vibrations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Altheus

uncle-mofo wrote: »
    I considered moving my turbo trainer set up to the attic. The main concern for me was breathing in any exposed fibres from the insulation that get kicked up by fans/vibrations.
    Yeah, dust and stuff. Seem without good vents would be a major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Regardless of ventilation, if there is any exposed fibrfeglass insulation I wouldn't dream of it....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

GreeBo wrote: »
    This is possible, I had a fan heater in my bedroom before and it had a very slight off kilter sound to it, didn't bother me and I could sleep fine. The neighbour rang me asking what the noise was as somebody could not sleep -sound neigbours not the whinging type. He said it only happened at night, it was thermostatically controlled and set low so rarely on. I put it on in my room and went downstairs to a room some distance away and there was a very deep bass sound alright.

I remember someone in my house had a turbo and it sounded like that scene from crocodile dundee -the yoke is called a bullroarer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭disposableFish

I have mixed opinions.

Weight: no worries, one of the ceiling joists should easily take your weight, yours will be spread on about 5.

Flooring: Easy to do, you may need to build kind of a frame to go on the joists. If your insulation isn't 300 deep, it'd be a good idea to add some before putting in the flooring.

Noise: could be a problem, hard to say until you try it.

Ventilation: I wouldn't be too worried about causing harm, but poor ventilation could make it pretty uncomfortable.

Dust etc.: I'd be worried about this. The turbo is going to shoot up loads of dust/whatever, especially if you have blown insulation. Even if it's just dust we're talking about I wouldn't be too keen on this with the amount of air you'll be sucking in.

Advertisement