Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir TV (eir Vision replacement - tvOS/Apple TV based)

Options
  • 17-10-2019 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Eir website gone down for maintenance. Exciting things on the way apparently

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

"eir is delighted to announce the arrival of eir TV a new TV service with Apple TV 4K as the exclusive set top box. eir and Apple are ushering in a new future of connection, entertainment and opportunity for the benefit of Irish consumers."

https://twitter.com/eir/status/1184782450372816896

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Wow that is a surprise. So pushing Apple's movies and music. Will Netflix be on it I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Up till recently both Eir and EE (uk) had the same tv box, but EE changed last year so looks like we are getting this

https://shop.ee.co.uk/broadband/apple-tv-4k

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Kurn

Their website has gone live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Can you record live TV on this AppleTV/Eir solution?

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Can you record live TV on this AppleTV/Eir solution?

Seems so, cloud based recording

Funny that the Indo are running with the info that it is an android box.

Kurn wrote: »
    Seems so, cloud based recording

That would need good upload speeds. 20mb hardly enough? Especially if it is 4k?

That would need good upload speeds. 20mb hardly enough? Especially if it is 4k?

I'd imagine, that they store the programs in the cloud anyway once they have broadcast, so your not actually "recording" anything. But I could be wrong.

Their site says hd is minimum on all channels.

€46 p/m for the first 6 months for broadband and tv.

The cloud recording could be very attractive if it works well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Wow that is a surprise. So pushing Apple's movies and music. Will Netflix be on it I wonder?

It seems to be the standard Apple TV box, so you can use the Netflix app as normal. And you get the now standard twelve month free trial of Apple TV+ (all ten shows or whatever that are on it...)

There apparently is a limit of 500 recordings.

The line up is more or less the same as eir Vision but...I can’t see any details of any premium tier packages. Have they all been dropped (only two months after Sky and eir did a wholesale deal for Premier/BT Sport?) If so, this is not a package for the sports fan (well, unless the sports/competitions you like are those that eir Sport/VM Sport offer).

icdg wrote: »
    It seems to be the standard Apple TV box, so you can use the Netflix app as normal. And you get the now standard twelve month free trial of Apple TV+ (all ten shows or whatever that are on it...)

The line up is more or less the same as eir Vision but...I can’t see any details of any premium tier packages. Have they all been dropped (only two months after Sky and eir did a wholesale deal for Premier/BT Sport?) If so, this is not a package for the sports fan (well, unless the sports/competitions you like are those that eir Sport/VM Sport offer).

i currently have bt sport and premier sport on evision. i wonder will existing tv customers get an option to upgrade

icdg wrote: »

What constitutes a recording? Is it 500 shows or 500GB?

should we do a separate thread for Eir TV?

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Pt11.1.pdf

pricing details , i see now sky cinema sports and entertainment channels are through Now TV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

kooga wrote: »
    should we do a separate thread for Eir TV?

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Pt11.1.pdf

pricing details , i see now sky cinema sports and entertainment channels are through Now TV

I like the Now TV bit - better quality picture than you were getting directly from eir.

no list of the TV channels but HD now comes as standard it was a €5 extra with evision - plus with evision you couldn't get sky sports and cinema in HD.

no list of the TV channels but HD now comes as standard it was a €5 extra with evision which was €14.99 - plus with evision you couldn't get sky sports and cinema in HD.

Bt Sport again through the NOW TV app

so the TV price remains the same

no list of the TV channels but HD now comes as standard it was a €5 extra with evision - plus with evision you couldn't get sky sports and cinema in HD.

https://www.eir.ie/tv/channels/

Kurn wrote: »

the website is being slowly populated

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Thread split

I’m kinda disappointed that it has come to the stage where a major TV provider is telling its customers that they need to take out a second subscription to a different TV provider to get certain channels, even if (unlike Virgin) they can at least get it on one box. Now TV doesn’t do and never will do recording, live pause/play or anything PVR wise.

Indeed it appears with the new service eir are identifying a gap in the market for a budget no frills provider offering a basic UK/Irish core channel line up, effectively running as an IPTV app on someone else’s platform, and pointing people to other services to plug gaps. It is quite cheap at €20pm (€10 cheaper than the eir sport pack on its own for Sky customers) but you are tied to Eir Broadband (as is the case with the existing eir Vision).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

joe_99 wrote: »
    What constitutes a recording? Is it 500 shows or 500GB?
    "500 recording events" says the FAQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

Now TV - sports extra pack auto renews to €73 per month?? Holy moly that's expensive!

I've got the VM sky sports for €1 deal, and I'm actually wondering is that even value for money given how little is left on sky sports (other than premiership, golf & cricket)!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

i currently have bt sport and premier sport on evision. i wonder will existing tv customers get an option to upgrade

Same here. Eir told me 'Your current TV package will remain unaffected but we will no longer sell the old package to new customer. You can upgrade to the new eir TV package at any time.' I'm not sure what happens if I upgrade with regard to keeping BT Sports and Premier sports?

The below tweet shows what the new Eir TV app looks like on Apple TV (also says its €5 per month cheaper). Eirvision and Eirvision Go was so outdated it had to be replaced, but didn't think it'd be like this, could be really good. (also just to note it looks like there's a new version of Eirvision Go available: https://tv.eir.ie/highlights )

https://twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/1184813335654649857

Roland27 wrote: »
    Same here. Eir told me 'Your current TV package will remain unaffected but we will no longer sell the old package to new customer. You can upgrade to the new eir TV package at any time.' I'm not sure what happens if I upgrade with regard to keeping BT Sports and Premier sports?

The below tweet shows what the new Eir TV app looks like on Apple TV (also says its €5 per month cheaper). Eirvision and Eirvision Go was so outdated it had to be replaced, but didn't think it'd be like this, could be really good. (also just to note it looks like there's a new version of Eirvision Go available: https://tv.eir.ie/highlights )

https://twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/1184813335654649857

It’s not really cheaper as HD is now standard whereas before it was an extra €5 - I know there is a 5€ promo off at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Not having sky sports available on package is a major drawback for me, nowtv is very expensive (€73pm for sports + sports extra) and as others pointed out doesn't offer recording etc

Live sports is the primary reason I would even consider paying for TV subscription, think they have missed a trick here.

The new eir Tv App on my phone now only has the sport channels and TG4

Is the new Eir TV service over multicast like the old eir tv service and therefor not count against your usage. I assume the apps then will be unicast and count against your usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

Had a good look at this offering - it looks quite impressive in fairness, and probably the way TV may go in the future - as unlikely as I would have thought, it looks like Apple might be onto something here if they try and push these out as standard STB's for providers such as Eir.

An ability to integrate the individual app subs (Now TV, Eurosport etc) into the Eir app EPG would be the real game changer here. Not having those on the main EPG is not great - the apps are fine if you know there's something specific on you want to watch, but flicking between them doesn't make for a good browsing experience.

It will also get very expensive very quickly having loads of additional subscriptions for channels which are typically bundled anyway, i.e. Eurosport, sky one etc.

More to do I think, wouldn't be enough to move from VM (who have much to do to improve their offering and hopefully this spurs them on)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭NotToScale

Up till recently both Eir and EE (uk) had the same tv box, but EE changed last year so looks like we are getting this

https://shop.ee.co.uk/broadband/apple-tv-4k

That’s more likely a coincidence tbh. There are only a handful of good IPTV infrastructure providers, so you’ll find similarities around various operators. Yet and EE have nothing to do with each other. Eir’s a French company these days.

Canal+ was the first tv provider to make the move over to Apple TV and I would expect you’ll see more companies making this move too.

The days of trying to build out a viable user experience on your own customized hardware seem to be coming to an end. You’re looking at both IPTV and also telephony becoming appified.

• Advertisement

I called into the eir shop in cork this morning and they have one on display and as an existing evision customer i dont see anything in it to make me upgrade

- just to clarify HD is standard but not all channels in HD
    - limited catch up services
    as stated above - if you want sports you must go down the now tv route as only the eir sport pack is standard you can upgrade via eir to get eurosport and sky sports racing (via eir tv extra pack at €9.99 pm ) and surprisngly racing uk is available.

Multiroom is now €10 pm up from €5 pm

Exact same as the offering from EE in the UK.

its just a vehicle to get people to say i have apple tv

Advertisement