Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir TV (eir Vision replacement - tvOS/Apple TV based)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

icdg wrote: »
    You can’t use the app (for the moment). You need to log on with a browser. If you scroll down there will be a banner ad. You click on it. Then you’ll be taken to another screen with your devices and a button to add Prime Video (not sure why these two things are together, they don’t affect each other). Click the button and you’ll be taken to Amazon.com where you can either create an account or log in with your existing info and add the eir benefit.

Have just done this, but how do you double check that you actually have it free for 12 months, rather than a trial period?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

In that link, RTÉ2 +1 is mentioned. Can anyone confirm that it is on Eir TV? I thought it was only available on Saorview

Yep RTÉ2 +1 is on it, seen it when flicking around on the channels list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Just curious is anyone here keeping theirs? I thought the general consensus was negative?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Just curious is anyone here keeping theirs? I thought the general consensus was negative?

I am. The remote is pretty awful but the picture quality is very good and I don't mind the apps, in fact quite like them.

I am. The remote is pretty awful but the picture quality is very good and I don't mind the apps, in fact quite like them.

I had it on trial and I returned it.

I did like it and I liked the price compared to Sky entertainment package which is over double the price.

I couldn't justify it as I have Irish Saorview and uk Satellite FTA piped all around the house and this costs nothing.

I was very impressed with the Apple TV picture quality but I figured my wife would never like the apple remote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Getting a good offer to move everything from Sky to Eir they seem to be throwing the kitchen sink at me

Unlimited Broadband up to 80mb (line only does 60mb anyway) & Landline (don't use it)
    Amazon Prime TV (already paying for Netflix)
    Apple TV
    Eir TV with 1 extra multiroom
    BT & Virgin Sports
    75pm for life no introduction offer.

What's the catch? Seem ok broadband is going to cost me 50pm anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Getting a good offer to move everything from Sky to Eir they seem to be throwing the kitchen sink at me

Unlimited Broadband up to 80mb (line only does 60mb anyway) & Landline (don't use it)
    Apple TV
    BT & Virgin Sports

Try to squeeze HD from them as it makes a huge difference when watching the sport on virgin, BT and PS

Apple TV
    BT & Virgin Sports

How can you get BT Sport? I thought they stopped offering it for new customers via the Apple TV. The only way to get it now is with NowTV ('Sports Extra' package).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Roland27 wrote: »
    How can you get BT Sport? I thought they stopped offering it for new customers via the Apple TV. The only way to get it now is with NowTV ('Sports Extra' package).

He said he was throwing in Now TV as well...I need to go back to him about the HD and it looks like cartoons are an extra €10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Apple TV
    BT & Virgin Sports

Make sure unlimited actually means that.

• Advertisement

He said he was throwing in Now TV as well...I need to go back to him about the HD and it looks like cartoons are an extra €10

Throwing in Now TV as well? Are you sure, that sounds odd to me? I'd double check that with them as they'd say anything to get you to sign up. Now TV is a free App but you then need to buy a monthly 'Sports Extra' pass which is €17 a month on a promo offer to get BT Sport. I can't see how Eir could offer that for free.

Just wondering any Eir Apple TV users here using Now TV on the box? If so what is picture quality like?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pass&move

I've watched stuff on the entertainment and cinema passes and the picture was excellent on both. Haven't got sports on it, so can't comment on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aliveireland

Pass&move wrote: »
    I've watched stuff on the entertainment and cinema passes and the picture was excellent on both. Haven't got sports on it, so can't comment on that.

Sports is perfect as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Hi all

Am considering moving from SKY €92/m to Eir €50/m mainly for the price and cause the hubby loves rugby.

Would I still be able to get Netflix? We are supposed to have a smart tv but we have never got it to work. It's about 10y old to be honest. A Sony.

Am a bit wary despite the price...

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

ellee wrote: »
    Hi all

Am considering moving from SKY €92/m to Eir €50/m mainly for the price and cause the hubby loves rugby.

Would I still be able to get Netflix? We are supposed to have a smart tv but we have never got it to work. It's about 10y old to be honest. A Sony.

Am a bit wary despite the price...

Many thanks.

If you record a lot of the programmes you watch on Sky I wouldn't switch as the Eir system is not set up to record the most frequently watched channels (BBC, RTE, C4 etc).

I think you can put netflix on the Eir apple box so that shouldn't be a problem

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Afaik, the Apple TV box is hardware-wise just a bog standard Apple TV box, the only difference is that it comes with the eir TV app. It’s not a custom version like Now TV’s Smart Stick is of the Roku hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Thank you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Mac-Chops

Trying to find an answer to a straight forward question but having no luck if anyone can help...

If you are already on the old "eir vision" as it was called, what's the story with upgrading to "eir TV"?

Parents are paying approx €90p/m for TV/broadband/phone pack with eir, I can see a €5 difference in the basic TV packages (I think) which would make it a no brainer if that's all it was?

Trying to get them up and running on Netflix on an older TV. Was going to give them my Chromecast but the Apple TV box you get with eir TV seems more straightforward.

Mac-Chops wrote: »
    Trying to find an answer to a straight forward question but having no luck if anyone can help...

If you are already on the old "eir vision" as it was called, what's the story with upgrading to "eir TV"?

Parents are paying approx €90p/m for TV/broadband/phone pack with eir, I can see a €5 difference in the basic TV packages (I think) which would make it a no brainer if that's all it was?

Trying to get them up and running on Netflix on an older TV. Was going to give them my Chromecast but the Apple TV box you get with eir TV seems more straightforward.

From my own experience you parents are probably out of contract soI would ring loyalty.

If they stay with eir the evision box will be replaced by Apple TV - triple play pack should be in and around €60-€70 pm - just depends on your negotiation skills and threatening to cancel / do some research and get an idea how much a triple play bundle would be with sky or Virgin if available if your area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Mac-Chops

Sound advice, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has the same issue as myslef. I got a new Eir TV apple box sinnce we moved into a new house (same old TV). At night when we turn off the tele and go to bed the TV manages to turns it self back onto the Eir program in the middle of the night. Initially I though it might be some setting on the tele itself, but i've check the sleeper setting and reset it, it also never did this before. I'm led to believe that it is the new eir TV apple box.

Has anyone the same issue or know how to ressolve it. It's either something wrong with the Apple Box or the new place is haunted...

Thanks.

MM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭tech

thinking of moving to Eir TV from Sky,
    currently paying 41 a month for Sky vareity pack with no HD

Eir has this on offer

300MB download Fibre to house, ( not fibre to cabinet)
    Unlimted Calls day and night landline and Mobiles
    PSTN - line ( handy if power goes out stil have landline)
    €56.98

can Add Eir TV for 10e a month extra

But I know you cant record BBC or RTE yet, does any know will this issue be resolved soon

they will supply the Apple 4k box and Fibre router

anyone got any views on Eir Tv

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

tech wrote: »
    anyone got any views on Eir Tv
    Here a threadful of views...:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058023710

thanks

just to say that the extra kids channels which you had to pay for as part of the extra TV at €9.99 pm are now coming in free on the basic package. Thank you

how do you find the serice using the Apple TV 4k Eir box?

do you know when RTE record / bbc record will be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

tech wrote: »
    how do you find the serice using the Apple TV 4k Eir box?

do you know when RTE record / bbc record will be an option?

Personally I am loving the Apple TV 4K from Eir

Pros
    * Picture quality is amazing
    * You get 12 months of Prime Video
    * Free Apple TV (Morning show is excellent)
    * Everything in one place

Cons
    * TV Guide is poor
    * Lack of recording for main channels
    * Sound is an issue for me as if I am watching 4K content from Netflix and switch to EirTV app I have no sound

Worth noting I got around the recording issue by installing a free to air box for Saorview & Freesat channels so if I need to record BBC or RTE I just use that.

• Advertisement

HI campo , what free to air / freesat box have you?

as such most of the Eir channells are free to air?

Advertisement