Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving toddler to a new creche

• 17-10-2019 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi there

I've had a few doubts about the current creche that my son is in for the last 2 months. They have a lost a lot of staff - 10 in one week and things such as cleanliness have started to slip too. I'm concerned at the level of structure and learning etc particularly from a Montessori perspective in the next year or two. There is a place available in another creche that I like, its more expensive but it's smaller and seems to be managed better. I am considering moving him and was wondering if anyone has any experience how their toddlers adapted to a move. The plan would be that he would do a transition week if he moved in a same way he did in the current place. The thought of him not seeing his few little pals kills me but hopefully he will make new ones if we move him.

Looking for some reassurance!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Hi there

I've had a few doubts about the current creche that my son is in for the last 2 months. They have a lost a lot of staff - 10 in one week and things such as cleanliness have started to slip too. I'm concerned at the level of structure and learning etc particularly from a Montessori perspective in the next year or two. There is a place available in another creche that I like, its more expensive but it's smaller and seems to be managed better. I am considering moving him and was wondering if anyone has any experience how their toddlers adapted to a move. The plan would be that he would do a transition week if he moved in a same way he did in the current place. The thought of him not seeing his few little pals kills me but hopefully he will make new ones if we move him.

Looking for some reassurance!!

He’ll have forgotten those friends after an hour. To be honest, it probably won’t even take an hour. He might not even notice he’s in a different place. Sure in a couple of years he’ll be going to school and there might be nobody from his crèche there anyhow.
    That’s how it would be with my kids anyhow, they’d be delighted with new toys and new friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

What age is your son? We moved our3 year old this year as his crèche stopped doing part time and with his sister starting too we didn’t want to be paying for days we didn’t need if we didn’t have to. We did love the crèche, he loved the staff and had his friends so we were worried about the move.

Anyway, we shouldn’t have been. He did a settling in week and by the end had all new friends. He loved the new staff. It’s a smaller crèche and I’ve now realized this has its advantages. They kids and staff all know each other, there’s more interaction between everyone in the crèche and the parents know each other better. There’s a sense of community about the place if that makes sense. The one disadvantage is that when a kid in one room gets sick they all end up exposed as there is more interaction whereas in the bigger crèche that would have been contained to the one room.

Based on what you’re saying, and my experiences, I’d say you should go for the move if that’s what your gut is telling you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Definitely move him if your gut is telling you too. Had doubts about my son's creche. High turnover, standard of food and lack of time outside. Moved him to a small established creche and was the best move ever.
    Took maybe a week if even for him to settle. Once they are used to the creche system they can settle very quickly.

Advertisement