Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Outsider - HBO *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,374 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Effects wrote: »
    Sounds like they just didn't want to character to be like the one in the book or Mr Mercedes.

Exactly, & hence why a few here are questioning why they bothered keeping the same name for the character at all given the changes from the one in the book.

I must admit the pace of the series seems way off from that of the book too. Enjoyed the first 2 episodes but the last couple have been dragging the guts out of the story for little return IMO.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

DvB wrote: »
    Exactly, & hence why a few here are questioning why they bothered keeping the same name for the character at all given the changes from the one in the book.

They are keeping the same name because it's the same character, just a different version of the character in the books.

I think the problem is that there's so much of a rush on to cash in on as many Stephen King things as possible while the iron is hot that they are really just making a mess of things.

Why are they striking while the iron is hot? Did he not go downhill a long time ago? Has he had some adaptation that's done really well that I don't know about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Added to my to watch list. Trailer looks excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

Why are they striking while the iron is hot? Did he not go downhill a long time ago? Has he had some adaptation that's done really well that I don't know about?
    The IT films and Pet Semetary did very well at the cinema and he's been pumping out short stories since then. I think there's a film version of Dr Sleep due out too, the sequel to The Shining.

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I find it a little strange how the detective is being given two warnings to stop investigating or he will die, but anyone else just gets killed along with their entire family

I think “the outsider” is feeding off the detective’s and his wife’s misery (in losing their son) and doesn’t want to simply kill him

In other news, Monday’s episode was a turd.

The setup to this series was amazing, I hope they can make the end work.

They are keeping the same name because it's the same character, just a different version of the character in the books.

Its the same character in name only, the character in the book had been formed from 3 previous novels and the events of those novels, the character being presented in this has no reference points to the previously established character in Kings novels other than her name.

I'm all for artistic licence but I just think in this instance they missed a trick to use an established backstory and if not bothering with that why bother keeping the name?

Look its no biggie, just a minor irritation for me as I liked the way she's written & how that written character is portrayed by Justine Lupe.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Its the same character in name only, the character in the book had been formed from 3 previous novels and the events of those novels, the character being presented in this has no reference points to the previously established character in Kings novels other than her name.

I'm all for artistic licence but I just think in this instance they missed a trick to use an established backstory and if not bothering with that why bother keeping the name?

Look its no biggie, just a minor irritation for me as I liked the way she's written & how that written character is portrayed by Justine Lupe.
    I found the change of character very distracting, it was a bit like going to see Superman and finding yourself watching Spiderman. It's not a different interpretation at all, it was a completely different character. The actress who previously played the character absolutely nailed it and this actress is entirely wrong for the part.

The IT films and Pet Semetary did very well at the cinema and he's been pumping out short stories since then. I think there's a film version of Dr Sleep due out too, the sequel to The Shining.

I don't think IT 2 or Pet Cemetery did particularly well in the cinema.
    They were both slated in reviews.

Dr. Sleep came out last year. Reviews were luke warm.

If you go by those releases, then The Outsider is doing well so far.

But with someone as prolific as Stephen King, surely there's a constant stream of releases connected to him.

Its the same character in name only.

Are you should you have read the right book? The character in both the book and TV series shares a lot more that just the same name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,892 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Are you should you have read the right book? The character in both the book and TV series shares a lot more that just the same name.

Funny I don't recall Holly ending up in bed with a man in the book like this show portrays her. Even if the Mr Mercedes show didn't exist I don't think this shows Holly bares little resemblance to the Holly I've read in the Bill Hodges trilogy or The Outsder books.
    Anyway I can see if someone watching hasn't read the books or watched Me Mercedes it's probably fine, But for some of us who have it's just not the same charecter.
    Back on this week's episode anyone watch the preview for the coming episodes they didn't just look at next week's I saw some scenes I recognized from the end of the book. Don't think they should reveal so much in trailers passed the next episode.

I don't think IT 2 or Pet Cemetery did particularly well in the cinema.
    They were both slated in reviews.

Dr. Sleep came out last year. Reviews were luke warm.

If you go by those releases, then The Outsider is doing well so far.

But with someone as prolific as Stephen King, surely there's a constant stream of releases connected to him.
    I haven't seen either of the IT films or Pet Semetary, I preferred the original IT and PS is too close to the bone having lost some pets last year. I don't really follow what's in the cinema,the last film I saw in the cinema was one of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I had a look on Sky Store earlier today and Dr Sleep is released later this month so I'll probably watch that on Sky. I don't think his books translate well to TV in general tbh. Hey, all I really ask for from TV is to be entertained for an hour or two. I tend to record stuff during the week and binge watch at weekends after a gin and tonic or three most things are entertaining. :D

I haven't seen either of the IT films or Pet Semetary, I preferred the original IT and PS is too close to the bone having lost some pets last year. I don't really follow what's in the cinema,the last film I saw in the cinema was one of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I had a look on Sky Store earlier today and Dr Sleep is released later this month so I'll probably watch that on Sky. I don't think his books translate well to TV in general tbh. Hey, all I really ask for from TV is to be entertained for an hour or two. I tend to record stuff during the week and binge watch at weekends after a gin and tonic or three most things are entertaining. :D

Doctor Sleep is really good, as are the IT movies. Well worth a watch

Doctor Sleep is really good, as are the IT movies. Well worth a watch
    I wonder if any of the future IT movies will ever cover the bit at the end of the book that saves them? I'm not sure an audience will ever see that bit, probably rightly so. It will be interesting to see the TV series of Sleeping Beauties.

I wonder if any of the future IT movies will ever cover the bit at the end of the book that saves them? I'm not sure an audience will ever see that bit, probably rightly so.

No that was a King drugged fueled ending. That is never going to be set to film and rightly so!

No that was a King drugged fueled ending. That is never going to be set to film and rightly so!
    I read somewhere that Misery was written about his battle with alcohol and drugs. I enjoyed the film version of Stand By Me but I gave up on the book recently as there was just too much heavy graphic stuff in it that wasn't in the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Read the Outsider a few years ago, first half was fine second colour by numbers, Started reading Duma Key about 4 months ago but can't manage more than a few pages without getting bored. King can be way to overdiscriptive at times. Managed 3 episodes of the Outsider but finding it dull.

Funny I don't recall Holly ending up in bed with a man in the book like this show portrays her. Even if the Mr Mercedes show didn't exist I don't think this shows Holly bares little resemblance to the Holly I've read in the Bill Hodges trilogy or The Outsder books.
    Anyway I can see if someone watching hasn't read the books or watched Me Mercedes it's probably fine, But for some of us who have it's just not the same charecter.

Agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Enjoyed the first 3 episodes but these last 2 are a real slog with not much happening
    Thankfully only 3 more episodes to go else I may have given up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

6: Ohhhhh...
    she gonna die. She's smart though and she has some time. Maybe a pull into a filling station or maybe... the not-wearing-a-seatbelt crash. I'm not sure I saw him wearing a seatbelt.

You know, I thought
    something was gonna happen to her way earlier on the bus too. I guess they were building this up the whole episode.

So far, I think Ben Mendelsohn, Marc Menchaca (the other cop) and Julianne Nicholson (mother of the two girls) are doing top acting in this show. Nod to Cynthia Erivo (Holly) too.

What a
    beating the cop gave himself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Listened to a few versions.. think this is the original.. doesn't feel necessary to listen to get more understanding of why she said it when she did:

Wiki says it:
    follows the American boogie-woogie tradition of syncopated piano music.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_Me_Daddy,_Eight_to_the_Bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Wasn't feeling it for a while but I'm really on board now.

I think the woman who plays Holly in this is excellent. I'm watching Mr Mercedes simultaneously and discovered this Holly before Mr. M's Holly, and prefer Outlander Holly. Her depiction of someone with Asperger's is more subtle imo.

But in fairness, I've read neither book. And no, those who prefer the actress in Mr M are not racist.

So that was a way better episode then last week's. Things are moving along nicely. I should probably not be watching the preview of next week's as it gives away to many spoilers you can kind of work out what will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Really enjoyed this weeks episode. Everything is falling into place nicely.

Raconteuse wrote: »

And no, those who prefer the actress in Mr M are not racist.

What a bizarre statement.

Much better episode this week, finally starting to see the story progress again after 2 really slow episodes, Spoiler
    expecting to see a lot more of Claude Bolton next week

What a bizarre statement.
    It was in response to the following:
    No doubt I'll be leapt on and accused of racism but the actress isn't right for the role.
    It's always people who are concerned about being called racist who are the first ones to flipping mention it.

And to say that the woman who plays Holly in The Outsider is playing her role badly is just nonsensical. But if people prefer the actress in Mr M, that's perfectly fair enough of course. She is very good.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    It was in response to the following:

It's always people who are concerned about being called racist who are the first ones to flipping mention it.

And to say that the woman who plays Holly in The Outsider is playing her role badly is just nonsensical. But if people prefer the actress in Mr M, that's perfectly fair enough of course. She is very good.

Ah, fair enough on the first point, hadn't remembered that post you referenced, hence seeing a reference to racism as bizarre.

Dont recall anyone saying the role is being played badly though (if someone has in another post I apologise as I haven't read the entire thread) just that this character is different to the one in the book.

I know for me personally its simply a case of the changes to the character from that presented in the book as being not to my liking. Having invested in a character across 4 books I was simply hoping that their characteristics be maintained. Can fully appreciate if someones not read any of the books why they may prefer this representation though.

That was said on the same post i quoted. Deleted from my quote in error.

Oh yeah the impression I get is that the first Holly is more like the one in the books. I don't always agree with colourblind casting either. But I think the second Holly is so good. Great accent too. A lot of British actors can't pull off a good American accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Much better this week, looking forward to seeing how it plays out now.

Advertisement