Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Outsider - HBO *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Pacing was spot on this week. Really enjoyed the show. So much happened. Is next week the finale?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

Pacing was spot on this week. Really enjoyed the show. So much happened. Is next week the finale?

Yes, last episode due next week. I've seen speculation it may just be a season finale with more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭DvB

nc6000 wrote: »
    Yes, last episode due next week. I've seen speculation it may just be a season finale with more to come.

Really? Any links? Be interested to see where they might go with the story seeing as we're nearing the end of the base material.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

There are changes and then there's making an entirely different story and using the title of the book.

But it's not an entirely different story.
    You seem like you wouldn't be happy unless it was exactly the same as the book.

DvB wrote: »
    Really? Any links? Be interested to see where they might go with the story seeing as we're nearing the end of the base material.

This is it here, people picking up on HBO calling it the season finale :

https://twitter.com/TheOutsiderHBO/status/1234478570300411905

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,705 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I still think it's a one season deal, unless King writes a follow up involving Holly.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Richard Price, who spoke to IndieWire about his time with the show, and he had this to say when asked about a potential second season:

“It’s like pulling a rabbit out of a glass hat — of course there will be another [if HBO wants one],” Price said. “There’s no such thing as a series that, if it does well, they’re not going to want a second season.”

I think HBO might have learnt their lesson with regards the final season of GOT. Unless King is involved and can pull together the basis of another decent story for HBO to make.
    Any word on how the ratings have been for this show?

I still think it's a one season deal, unless King writes a follow up involving Holly.

Well it is meant to be the first of the Holly Gibney trilogy. But his website & none of his more recent articles/interviews hasn't said anything about when we can expect the second one.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Nice finish to the series first 10 minutes were intense! Not sure what they were implying in the mid-credits scene at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Good show overall although I thought the last episode could have had more. Looks to be gearing towards a second season so that should be interesting.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Nice finish to the series first 10 minutes were intense! Not sure what they were implying in the mid-credits scene at the end.

Thanks, I hadn't watched the credits. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭moby2101

Super end to really enjoyable series.

Definitely teeing up a Holly follow up

Think Story does a nice summary of the final episode and also points out something I missed in Episode 9 that might lead to another case for Holly next season. Worth a watch but only after watching the season finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just catching up now!

7: Very eerie episode!
    She lived! Good acting-by and directing-of Cynthia Erivo in this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Holly stated in a previous episode that she doesn't like music but she's listening to it at the end and it's the same song that was on the radio when she was in the car with Ralph... It must mean something?!
    Also why did she say "who's Terry?" in the cave?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Under the Dome drifted further from the book each episode

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Also why did she say "who's Terry?" in the cave?

Yeah, I was wondering had I missed something when she said that? Or misheard her?

Yeah, I was wondering had I missed something when she said that? Or misheard her?

If you watch the YouTube video I posted above, they say that she is so focused on El Cuco that she has forgotten in that moment the actual case she was investigating in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Butson

Loved the ending, anyone notice the doll being scratched in the coffin on the arm?

Started really strongly, episodes 3 to 7 were slow enough then last 3 were great. Usual moaners saying the pace was too slow, not everything has to be jam packed full of action.

Quite liked the ending, that part was pretty loyal to the book and was done well. I respectfully disagree with the above poster re: the pacing of the series, the story was skewed significantly from that in the book and some of the middle episodes were dragged out and progressed the story little (you dont need action to progress a story either, just though it went around in circles for a bit), & IMO could definitely could have been handled better, however I read recently that in order to have Jason Bateman involved his part needed to be shortened due to prior commitments so that might be the reason why the firt half of the book was crammed into 2 episodes.

Agree that the opening 3 & last 3 episodes shone though, all of them were well done & ultimately made it what it is.

Overall I enjoyed it though, & whilst some of the changes bugged me at the start I ended up just going with it & found it a good solid 7/10. The Mrs was less impressed though & has already said she'd not be interested in watching any follow up season if one ever happens. I definitely will though, but hope SK gets a book out first to give them some source material to work from.

• Advertisement

8: Jeez!
    Those eatin noises!

Right so,
    they've got it figured out. 2 Episodes left.. it's all gotta be something like a hunt/fight/showdown now I'm guessing. Starting to feel a bit like Alien.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

The opening was brilliant. It was so well shot. It was a decent series over all.

9: :eek:
    Oh next epside .. it is on!

I'm guessing
    this thing might be ancient and killed all those people in the cave-in to get back it's strength

Finished! Overall a high quality horror show! Not sure if they could pull it off but I'd watch a 2nd season!

10: Woah
    that shootout at the start! Snipers! Hard to beat a sniper! I like that Jack actually managed to fight it off in the end.
    Very hard to tell if they killed it or not. Like.. how did it get into people? That mid credits scene really left the question open. Hopefully not in Holly though cos it feels like a second season would need Holly and Ralph to feel somehow connected.

A second season would be cool.
    They thing definitely left it open that more exist and of-course the look Holly gave suggested more than just the thing they'd killed.

Then the scenes with
    Glory! The one with the prosecutor was really well done!

Overall, for what she did with her role, I thought the top performance came from Julianne Nicholson.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,796 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am on episode 5...I really like this...it is kind of freaking me out...but in a good way!
    Can I just ask does it have a "proper" ending?
    I know Stephen king books sometimes don't...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

gmisk wrote: »
    I am on episode 5...I really like this...it is kind of freaking me out...but in a good way!
    Can I just ask does it have a "proper" ending?
    I know Stephen king books sometimes don't...

Yes it's a one and done.

They left it wide open for a second season (think a lot of people missed a mid credits scene), but if that never happened it can be watched as a mini-series and wraps up perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Not a SK fan, but thought I'd give this a go (gave up on Mr Mercedes bout 5 episodes in, and Under the Dome mid-way through season 2), but quite liked this. Acting was solid throughout, and very well directed; sure sagged in the middle, but glad I carried on: the last 2 episodes were very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Thinking of watching this and looked at the trailer ,does it not give away alot ?
    I read this synopsis too ,does it spoil the show ?
    Based on Stephen King's best-selling novel of the same name, "The Outsider" begins by following an investigation which at first seems like it will be simple and straightforward but things change as it leads into the gruesome murder of a young boy by a seasoned cop. When an insidious supernatural force edges its way into the case, it leads the investigators to question everything they believe in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭Zardoz

OmegaGene wrote: »
    that does not spoil the series tbh as that all happens fairly early on

Good stuff,I will give it a go so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Zardoz wrote: »
    Good stuff,I will give it a go so.

A top notch show IMO

Advertisement