Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sim only phone deal

Options
  • 18-10-2019 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am with vodafone at the moment and my contract is up. I was hoping to stay on a bill pay 30 day contract but vodafone no longer offer it.

Eir seem to be the best alternative. As I am with them for broadband I can get a 30 day bill pay option for €15 (increases to €25 after 6 months but I could change then). It gives unlimited data, texts and minutes plus 200 international. It also gives 50gb for roaming.

Is eir's coverage as good as vodafone's?
    Is it easy to change over to another provider...delays etc? I am a long time vodafone customer.

Thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Mickeroo wrote: »

They are very new and offer zero customer service. I would prefer to stick to one of the big providers who don't piggy back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭GBX

They are very new and offer zero customer service. I would prefer to stick to one of the big providers who don't piggy back.

They are new but its Eir - not exactly a brand new network.

I notice eir sneakily try to renew your broadband contract for a further 12 months if you add the phone to make a bundle. That is a no to that. I think there is a separate offer though.

Just a quick query. If I was to add my mobile to my existing broadband is there any charge for removing the mobile from the bundle within the new 12 months (as the mobile would be on a 30 day contract).

I would like to have it all in the one bundle but am wary of charges that they are not upfront about.

• Advertisement

So I was signing up there to an eir mobile sim only plan. I had all my details put in and then just before I press the pay button a little paragraph says ....
    'You are now agreeing to sign up to an 18 month home phone and broadband contract'.

How are these companies still getting away with this nonsense. Incredible.

This is the best sim only it's not direct with Eir, its with https://gomo.ie/ - which is their rebranded mobile plan. €10 per month. No fear of being signed up to anything other than mobile. Just tried on the eir website for the sim only plan there and theres no mention of anything else. Not sure which plan you selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

I am with vodafone at the moment and my contract is up. I was hoping to stay on a bill pay 30 day contract but vodafone no longer offer it.

I'm with VF ( siro fantastic) offered a 1000 siro + VF tv ( obviously unlimited download)on a 12 month contract,I declined as I've 150 mb siro( rarely drops below 140mb) on e40 a month 12 month contract,I took an 18 months contract for e35 for 12 months and e40 for the remaing 6,,find VF absolutely great to deal with,compared to the dreaded eir

I selected the bundle plan as it gives you 20gb of extra roaming data plus more importantly 200 international minutes which would be handy for me.

I'd be very reluctant to sign up with gomo. They have no stores and the customer service will be zilch. Plenty of hidden charges and catches in there as well I bet.

Personally I think eir are bad for the market. They discount heavily for the early months to draw people in but their level of service is terrible after that.

I am surprised how poor and uncompetitive Vodafone are. No 30 day contract offer on bill pay which they previously had and their data allowances are really poor. I have no doubt they will give the best service as everyone will flood eir/gomo network with the high data allowance of 80gb. Vodafone aren't even half that. I am currently on a paltry 15gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I selected the bundle plan as it gives you 20gb of extra roaming data plus more importantly 200 international minutes which would be handy for me.

I'd be very reluctant to sign up with gomo. They have no stores and the customer service will be zilch. Plenty of hidden charges and catches in there as I bet.

Personally I think eir are bad for the market. They discount heavily for the early months to draw people in but their level of service is terrible after that.

I am surprised how poor and uncompetive Vodafone are. No 30 day contract offer on bill pay which they previously had and their data allowances are really poor. I have no doubt they will give the best service as everyone will flood eir/gomo network with the high data allowance of 80gb. Vodafone aren't even half that. I am currently on a paltry 15gb.

I'm with Eir 12 years and never had a days problem.

I never use there stores for Anything because.. why would I.

And I phoned their customer service twice in that time to explore change offers. They were very helpful both times.

I think there is an awful large amount of nonsense thrown around about their mobile customer service it's not a problem.

I was with Vodafone prior to EIR and they stole 120 euro top up credit from my when I was abroad. They claimed roaming however the phone was off physically. This was back in the days of large roaming charges. They refused to deal with me because I was prepay so I left them and never went back. They have an extremely rip off offering and rely on their customers not looking around for deals. Robbery for the service they offer.

• Advertisement

I just posted the gomo as the cheapest. Plus its sim only, so 30 days plan. Doesnt work out, free to swap networks.
    I wouldn't be too fussed about them not having stores. I've had more things sorted when dealing with service providers either dealing direct via phone, web chat and more so through Twitter than id get dealing with a sales person in a shop. And no disrespect to anybody in that role but their purpose is to sell phones and plans.

I can understand people going for a cheap deal with a big data allowance but given that it is eir that is behind this I wouldn't hold out much hope for a good service. Wait til people have to contact them re issues and we will see what they are like then.

So I eventually decided to stick with vodafone.
    I signed up to their sim only 12 month contract for €35 p/m (down from €60, as I got the phone with it).

I did speak with an agent on eir chat. He said he could sign me up to a 12 month contract (why not on the website?). I was going to go with them but felt it would tie me with eir.

As least with Vodafone if my phone breaks I can simply just sign up to a new phone contract and the old one will be scrapped.

20gb a month with 100 international minutes. Happy enough. Roaming same as at home.

Eir were offering unlimited data plus 200 international minutes for €15 for first 6 months but then €35.

Edit: I see on the brochure I have, vodafone sim only complete is only €25 p/m for the first 6 months. So hopefully I will only be charged that.

OmegaGene wrote: »

Thanks but I was only interested in bill pay.
    The vodafone network has been very good for me so happy to stick with them.

I think vodafone will probably have better offers out soon with 5g phones coming as well so happy enough to stick with them.

Glad not to have to deal with porting issues and other contract stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I can understand people going for a cheap deal with a big data allowance but given that it is eir that is behind this I wouldn't hold out much hope for a good service. Wait til people have to contact them re issues and we will see what they are like then.

I'm beginning to think this thread was started for the sole purpose of being anti go mo deal.

And you aren't actually looking for anything other than that.

Advertisement