Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cancel contract advice

• 18-10-2019 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

I am with Eir and phoned them about 10 days ago, they advised my contract was not finished until end of the month and asked me to phone back then quoting me a lower price for new contract as I opted to forget the TV. Got a bill today with charges for out of contract so phoned them. First they quoted me same price for BB & Phone without TV €54.99 and advised me that I had to give 30 days notice so there would be a €90 charge if i cancel and also quoted €54.99 what I was paying all along for a lesser service. In the end they agreed to the price I was quoted earlier €34.99 and advised I have 14 days to cancel. So here is my question.

If I cancel within the 14 days and move to a new provider will I have to pay for 1 extra month €90?

Any advice, I would be grateful?

If I posted in wrong please please move or advise, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

I'm trying to get my head around that. Did they advise you that you that you weren't out of contract until the end of the month and then somehow find a way to sign you up to a new contract?

Eir are a dose to deal with when you want to leave. You'll need your weetabix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

westyIrl wrote: »
    I'm trying to get my head around that. Did they advise you that you that you weren't out of contract until the end of the month and then somehow find a way to sign you up to a new contract?

Eir are a dose to deal with when you want to leave. You'll need your weetabix!

When I called them weeks ago they said I was still in contract and they could not do a new one until the end of the month, also gave me a quote for the new offering which was BB & Phone only €34.99 but when I got the bill I was out of contract and the offer now was €54.99 for BB & Phone plus I was charged for out of contract.

I have signed up to the €34.99 after they found the offer that was put to me but now I want to move as i don't want the same again next year. Can I cancel now that i have a 14 day cooloff period with the months notice?

You can of course cancel within the 14 day cooling off period for the new contract. The 30 day notice has you covered for exiting the old service. (I say service as you are already out of contract but Eir still have it in the T&Cs that they want 30 day notice....its just another ploy to retain you by restricting you leaving)

If you are determined to leave,

1. go through the process of cancelling within the 14 day cooling off period. Try and get some confirmation by email or letter.

2. Did you write in to give the 30 day notice for cease on the old contract? Seemingly they often don't honour their word of ceasing services over the phone. Read:https://www.eir.ie/switching/

3. Cancel all direct debit mandates etc so as they can't pull any more money from you accounts after you have left.

Jim

I only spoke to them on the phone but I did ask the girl to put the new offer in the notes which saved me today. I still waiting on a confirmation email from them for the new contract.

They are not easy to leave and I think this must be against some rules, I might pop an email to the regulator and may if I can find the board email addresses of Eir I will cc them on the email.

They told me on the phone my contract was not up till 2nd nov but charged me for out of contract price a few days later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

It's not fully clear but it seems they somehow "translated" your enquiry into a new contract or something else that benefits them.

You should record the calls between you and eir so there's no ambiguity should you need to make a complaint if things go p-eir shaped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Be sure to emphasise that you are cancelling within the 14 day notice period.
    Give them no excuse.

Use registered post if you want to be certain of tracability.

I am thinking that the old contract is over so no months notice and with the new one I can just move provider which cancels the new contract within the 14 days. Does this sound ok as I don't want to spend another week on the phone to Eir Customer ( useless) Service.

Would I get charged for the 30 day notice anyway?

It's not clear and surely they can't have it everyway?

m8 wrote: »
    I am thinking that the old contract is over so no months notice and with the new one I can just move provider which cancels the new contract within the 14 days. Does this sound ok as I don't want to spend another week on the phone to Eir Customer ( useless) Service.

Would I get charged for the 30 day notice anyway?

It's not clear and surely they can't have it everyway?

The contract may be over but they still require 30 days notice to cease but maybe you have given this already?

Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, moving provider does not cancel the cooling off period. Read the following https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/terms/eir-cooling-off-period-text.pdf

Not trying to be antagonising but have been through the mill with them and don't wish you the same fate!

Jim

No when I phoned them to give notice the girl offered me a good deal but said she cannot sign me up until my contract is up at the end of the month so I gave no notice however when i did call the price had gone up by €20 a month. I argued with them on this and we finally got to the deal that was offered originally but that seems to be slow to be confirmed. I just want to get away from Eir now tbh as I feel trapped in the way they deal with this.

I just want to get away from Eir now tbh as I feel trapped in the way they deal with this.

1. Well make sure you don't go over the 14 days. Fill out a cancellation request form (in my previous post) for each of the two things you want cancelled. Pop the two in one envelope and register post. Keep copies

2. Ring 1901 and ask to be put through to customer loyalty and tell them you want to cancel within the 14 day cooling off period. Get a reference number as proof. Do the same for the 30 day notice thing.

Painful but its the surefire way to extricate

• Advertisement

One question, how can I make sure I don't loose my phone number as I have it for years and don't want to change it now?

One question, how can I make sure I don't loose my phone number as I have it for years and don't want to change it now?

Move number (aka port number) to new provider before Eir service ceases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

As posted move the phone asap.
    Eir have a tendency to have the same UAN for both phone and broadband, and this can cause a problem if things do not go right.
    So protect the number by moving it, else eir have been known to 'lose' it somehow (or maybe the new ISP is at fault, who knows?).

You can port the phone to a provider independent of the broadband provider and thus keep you phone number in your own control.

All is needed then is a router in which you can set up your new phone providers credentials ....... and eir make this difficult or impossible on some of their routers.

There has to be a law against of Eir's practices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Just a general query, if you have fewer than 30 days left until the end of the contract, can you give your notice then (so you will be completing the contract but only having a few days over with). I think that not being able to initiate a notice period until the contract end date has passed would be a sharp practice (effectively turning a 12-month contract into a 13-month one). Has anyone here done this? Asking for a friend.

Yakuza wrote: »
    Just a general query, if you have fewer than 30 days left until the end of the contract, can you give your notice then (so you will be completing the contract but only having a few days over with). I think that not being able to initiate a notice period until the contract end date has passed would be a sharp practice (effectively turning a 12-month contract into a 13-month one). Has anyone here done this? Asking for a friend.

As long as the date you end up ceasing on is outside your contract you should be fine. Either way you're not losing much even if it fell within the contract. i.e. they can only penalise you for any period remaining in contract which is as good as up anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

It's possible that eir will cancel the broadband when the port request is made so manage the timing to minimise any inconvenience. Unless you switch to the same provider for phone and broadband which, in theory, should be simpler.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 rebelArt2018

hi m8, I am not sure if you got all sorted, but make sure you take details of whoever is taking your cancellation in Eir, and tell them you have recorded this call, if they ever hassle you again open case with Comreg, sorry just trying to help

Advertisement