Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does my manager need to consult me before changing a published roster?

Options
  • 18-10-2019 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

I work in retail on a 6 hour contract. Each week the roster is posted in our group chat on Facebook (as well as physically in the shop).

For next week, my manager put me in for a 9.30-4.30 shift. However, this morning she messaged me asking telling me she had to switch me to the 4-9 shift because the girl who was originally supposed to work the 4-9 shift has a doctor's appointment at 5... I replied that I wasn't happy about that because I'm now losing out on 2.5 hours work because of that girl's doctor appointment, to which she replied "there was nothing else I can do".

It's annoying because I'm losing out on hours now despite the roster already have being published because they're constantly chopping and changing it due to to people coming to them late with requests / the management forgetting to consider requests when doing the roster. It's happened before too where I've requested a certain shift (such as 1-6), the roster is published, and then the roster is re-posted into the group chat where I have to work 11-6, despite me having a requested and not agreed to change shifts with anyone.

The management are constantly uploading rosters to the group chat, and then maybe a couple of hours publishing a new roster where my shifts have been switched to different times or I'm losing out on hours.

Do I have any grounds to complain about this to them? My boyfriend works as a manager in a fast-food restaurant and says that in his place, once the roster is published its final (i.e. management can't just change the roster around without consulting the staff once its published).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That’s terrible management. The person with the doctors appointment is gaining and you are loosing... if I need 3 hours off Monday I’m going to apply and take the hit, I wouldn’t expect or be ok with someone else having to... boss AND employee sound like a pair of dicks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

hasdanta wrote: »
    I work in retail on a 6 hour contract. Each week the roster is posted in our group chat on Facebook (as well as physically in the shop).

For next week, my manager put me in for a 9.30-4.30 shift. However, this morning she messaged me asking telling me she had to switch me to the 4-9 shift because the girl who was originally supposed to work the 4-9 shift has a doctor's appointment at 5... I replied that I wasn't happy about that because I'm now losing out on 2.5 hours work because of that girl's doctor appointment, to which she replied "there was nothing else I can do".

It's annoying because I'm losing out on hours now despite the roster already have being published because they're constantly chopping and changing it due to to people coming to them late with requests / the management forgetting to consider requests when doing the roster. It's happened before too where I've requested a certain shift (such as 1-6), the roster is published, and then the roster is re-posted into the group chat where I have to work 11-6, despite me having a requested and not agreed to change shifts with anyone.

The management are constantly uploading rosters to the group chat, and then maybe a couple of hours publishing a new roster where my shifts have been switched to different times or I'm losing out on hours.

Do I have any grounds to complain about this to them? My boyfriend works as a manager in a fast-food restaurant and says that in his place, once the roster is published its final (i.e. management can't just change the roster around without consulting the staff once its published).

I'd be of the opinion that not enough notice was given and you should not be out of pocket/time. I'd ask for the payment of the extra hours and if not become like the staff that suddenly have appointments!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Vety poor management OP and there should be a policy of people notifying in advance. People are clearly taking advantage of the situation. Apart from suggesting, quite forcibly, that there should be such a detailed policy on it, not sure what else you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I used to do the rota in a previous job. 7 day a week/13.5 hours a day operation and about 30-35 staff with a mix of full and part time.

It was a nightmare but once the rota was done and provided I’d included all requests that were sent in on time no changes were allowed unless agreed by those affected ie in your case the girl with the doctors appointment would need to find someone willing to swap shifts. If she did I’d amend the rota and if she couldn’t I wouldn’t.

My advice would be to ignore messages/phone calls and just turn up for shifts as they appear on the rota.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s pretty cowardly not to mention unprofessional of your manager to only notify you by and have this whole conversation by text. If it was viewed as ‘necessary’ which in fact it absolutely wasn’t I’d expect a phone call or better still a face to face.

• Advertisement
Advertisement