Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 week scan measuring small

Options
  • 18-10-2019 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Not looking for medical advice but I guess stories of similar experiences (good, bad or indifferent). We went for our 7 weeks scan (baby number 2) yesterday (well 7w6d to be precise). We were alittle apprehensive going into for it, no real reason but just something felt off.

We got our scan results and sadly the outcome doesn't look too good. The babies heartbeat is there but it's below normal (>110bpm) at 80 bpm. Also the baby is much smaller than the gestational sac, roughly a fifth of the size in length. So all signs are pointing to the inevitable though we still hope! We'll find out next Thursday.

I'm not sure what the medical term is for this but I'm sure we'll find out. Anyone have a similar situation happen to them and how did it end for you?

Sorry for the downbeat thread but needed to get it out.

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

No need to apologise. Sorry to hear that the scan brought back worrying results. I think the first 12 weeks is when you are particularly vulnerable, fewer people "in the know" to support you through bad news. Haven't experienced this myself but I hope you can lean on one another for support. Not sure if I'm allowed refer to other sites here, but I always find mumsnet brilliant for real life experiences shared without all the medical language.

I wish I had helpful words, but all I can say is best of luck OP. X

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Hi Jon, sorry to hear you are going through this.

I've literally just been there, our scan was over a week ago and the dr wasn't happy with the heartbeat, to be honest she didn't even want to call it a heartbeat she called it a flickering. We were back a week later and all was ok thankfully, baby had grown and good strong heartbeat, she did readjust my due date by a week. I'll be back in in 2 weeks for another scan.
    It was a long hard week to be honest. I really hope you get positive news x

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chelle_C

Very best of luck Jon, I hope your next appointment gives you far more positive news x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Thanks for the comments all. We had our scan yesterday, sadly wasn't to be, looks like the baby stopped growing around 7 weeks.

Naturally we're upset but we're aware of the high odds of this happening. Wish we didnt have a 10 day wait for the ERPC (similar to d&c) surgery.

• Advertisement

I'm really sorry, Jon. It's a hard place to be. Look after each other. X

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chelle_C

I’m terribly sorry to hear that Jon, it’s an awful thing to go through and I hope you find comfort and strength in each other.
    Wishing you all the best at this sad time x

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Really sorry to hear that. Take care of yourself and each other. Xx

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

So sorry to hear that Jon, such a hard thing to go through. take care of each other x

Advertisement