Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bishop says Yoga is not suitable for a parish school

Options

Comments

joeguevara wrote: »
    One of the nicest things I saw was when I was visiting tipp a few months ago. Went for a walk in cahir and along the nature trail was little houses for fairies that were made by the local playschool and primary school. They were class and I'm sure the kids loved making them. Based on the letter that would be stopped.

Teaching about fionn and the Fianna and ancient Irish myths and folklore would be stopped.

Where does it end?

Those fairy walks are absolutely brilliantly. The excitement and the amount of utter nonsense adults can fill children's heads with is great (currently, for me, all tied back to going to bed early and not getting up in the middle of the night to go into their parents' bed!). Anyway, on to Oíche Shamhna, púcaí and an saol eile and, even at this early stage (needs must!), the elves flying around the sky checking all little toddlers are in their leaba so that Santa knows what to get them.

At least atheists are consistent in being completely fúcking useless to humanity when it comes to feeding a child's imagination, and keeping them in order, with all this stuff. The Christian "Our pillars of salt myths are better than your Setanta myths" is snobbery and delusion at its finest. Give me Myles Dillon over Matthew, Mark, Luke and John any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Easy to solve your issue then isn't it?

Get the local athletics club coach in to do a stretching class

Or even get a pilates instructor in

No yoga. Everyone happy!

So if you agree that they are just stretching exercises that a local athletics club could do you admit that they aren't religious.

If getting a pilates instructor in (and by in i presume you mean school) you then say nothing wrong doing it in school.

No issue so

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

XsApollo wrote: »
    Well she either is devout or isn’t devout,

Catholicism has a set of practices, ideology and beliefs that I presume a devout would follow.
    And judging by the appointed leader comments isn’t a favourable thing to do.

Does anyone follow it 100% ? As in every little bit?

Even the bits that contradict the other bits? To paraphrase Ned Flanders.

Maybe everyone should stop following it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

So if you agree that they are just stretching exercises that a local athletics club could do you admit that they aren't religious.

If getting a pilates instructor in (and by in i presume you mean school) you then say nothing wrong doing it in school.

No issue so

Not sure whether you are being deliberately obtuse or not

I never said yoga is only stretching (I know it's not). You are trying to say it is. If you really believe that, then you should be equally happy to have an athletics coach in instead (actually more so because they would be more experienced in general in muscular and biomechanical issues).

Just calling your bluff dude

If people are going to strict on what is allowed or not based on church teaching then any child born out of wedlock should not be allowed to attend. Any teacher who practices safe sex shouldn't be allowed to teach..divorcees shouldn't be allowed to be inspectors. This is in response to the post saying you are either devout or not. Why let some things slide but blow a gasket on yoga?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

"Religion" the root of all evil!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,985 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

At least atheists are consistent in being completely fúcking useless to humanity when it comes to feeding a child's imagination, and keeping them in order, with all this stuff. The Christian "Our pillars of salt myths are better than your Setanta myths" is snobbery and delusion at its finest. Give me Myles Dillon over Matthew, Mark, Luke and John any day.

Consistent atheists do not want to be teaching fairies (ground or sky based) as anything other than myths which silly people believed in the olden days.

They certainly would not be doing fairy walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

If people are going to strict on what is allowed or not based on church teaching then any child born out of wedlock should not be allowed to attend. Any teacher who practices safe sex shouldn't be allowed to teach..divorcees shouldn't be allowed to be inspectors. This is in response to the post saying you are either devout or not. Why let some things slide but blow a gasket on yoga?

Relax Joe, nobody is going all strict on anything or blowing a gasket on yoga. All that happened is that a Bishop who is known for giving people every reason to mock the Catholic Church, gave the same people another reason to mock the Catholic Church, as opposed to understanding that this is nothing more than just one Bishop’s opinion.

I know you mentioned it earlier too but the Bishops of Ireland certainly aren’t going to exclude the teaching of Irish myths and folklore in Catholic schools when it’s so intrinsically linked to Christianity through Saint Brigid and Saint Patrick.

as opposed to understanding that this is nothing more than just one Bishop’s opinion.

Hang on. Is he "following the teachings of the catholic church" (ie , all of them) as the religious folk in the thread are telling us or is it one bishops opinion? Cant really be both.

Relax Joe, nobody is going all strict on anything or blowing a gasket on yoga. All that happened is that a Bishop who is known for giving people every reason to mock the Catholic Church, gave the same people another reason to mock the Catholic Church, as opposed to understanding that this is nothing more than just one Bishop’s opinion.

I know you mentioned it earlier too but the Bishops of Ireland certainly aren’t going to exclude the teaching of Irish myths and folklore in Catholic schools when it’s so intrinsically linked to Christianity through Saint Brigid and Saint Patrick.

This was a reply to post number 7

• Advertisement

Hang on. Is he "following the teachings of the catholic church" (ie , all of them) as the religious folk in the thread are telling us or is it one bishops opinion? Cant really be both.

Of course it can be both, unless you’re the type of person who is ignorant of the fact that Christianity has evolved over the last 2,000 years based upon the popularity of ideas which came about as a result of people’s opinions.

Of course it can be both, unless you’re the type of person who is ignorant of the fact that Christianity has evolved over the last 2,000 years based upon the popularity of ideas which came about as a result of people’s opinions.

How can the word of god evolve? Surely its set in stone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

As a primary teacher , I’d be wondering how a school had time for yoga in an already jam packed school day !

My son does Yoga as part of his PE curriculum.

How can the word of god evolve? Surely its set in stone?

Y’know the way you might say one thing and someone else interprets what you’ve said differently, and then someone else interprets what they’ve said differently? It’s a bit like that.

Consistent atheists do not want to be teaching fairies (ground or sky based) as anything other than myths which silly people believed in the olden days.

They certainly would not be doing fairy walks.

Precisely. As I said: atheists and their stupid certainties are at least consistent in being completely fúcking useless. Kids should be given loads of stories to feed their imagination and not denied knowledge of the Ulster Cycle or the Other World because of some dogmatic, smug, historically benighted simpleton with a narrow understanding of human evolution.

Y’know the way you might say one thing and someone else interprets what you’ve said differently, and then someone else interprets what they’ve said differently? It’s a bit like that.

Yeah, but I'm not an omnipotent being that created the world.

If I was I'd make my feelings clear in black and white and not leave stuff to "interpretation" to suit the will of whoever in power at a given time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

If I was I'd make my feelings clear in black and white and not leave stuff to "interpretation" to suit the will of whoever in power at a given time.

Great post.

Precisely. As I said: atheists and their stupid certainties are at least consistent in being completely fúcking useless. Kids should be given loads of stories to feed their imagination and not denied knowledge of the Ulster Cycle or the Other World because of some dogmatic, smug, historically benighted simpleton with a narrow understanding of human evolution.

I never knew atheists had a manifesto. I would have thought most atheists simply don't believe everything they're told.
    I agree kids should be given loads of stories to feed their imagination.

No matter how clear you’d make your feelings known, people will still for the most part interpret whatever you say to suit themselves. There will of course be people who will interpret your every word literally, but the vast majority will understand the general sentiment of don’t be a dick, and try to live their lives accordingly.

No matter how clear you’d make your feelings known, people will still for the most part interpret whatever you say to suit themselves. There will of course be people who will interpret your every word literally,

But I'd have created those people.

He's either omnipotent or not.

Why not drop down to earth as a giant being and tell us exactly what he means? Then theres no confusion that some scruffy human wandering around in sandals is just some mentally ill guy with a god complex.

Theres no way around this that God (if he was real) hasnt made a lot of errors. None of it holds up to scrutiny.

but the vast majority will understand the general sentiment of don’t be a dick, and try to live their lives accordingly.

So write a 1 line leaflet saying "dont be a dick" instead of volumes of waffle left up to mere mortals to interpret and twist to their benefit.

• Advertisement

But I'd have created those people.

He's either omnipotent or not.

Why not drop down to earth as a giant being and tell us exactly what he means? Then theres no confusion that some scruffy human wandering around in sandals is just some mentally ill guy with a god complex.

Theres no way around this that God (if he was real) hasnt made a lot of errors. None of it holds up to scrutiny.

So write a 1 line leaflet saying "dont be a dick" instead of volumes of waffle left up to mere mortals to interpret and twist to their benefit.

It appears to me you’re looking for an argument with a Biblical literalist.

Ain’t nobody got time fo’ dat :pac:

(especially not when I’m getting ready to go to mass in a few minutes)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Catholic priest is against school children bending over and stretching. Now theres a shocker! Religion has no place in schools and the Catholic Church should be kept a million miles away from the children of Ireland.

It appears to me you’re looking for an argument with a Biblical literalist.

Ain’t nobody got time fo’ dat :pac:

(especially not when I’m getting ready to go to mass in a few minutes)

Seems to me that none of it holds up to any logic. literal or not.

Its all "it means this but when you cop on that theres massive holes in the theory we'll just change what it means, but god is still infallible (except for times when thats inconvenient too)"

Seems to me that none of it holds up to any logic. literal or not.

Its all "it means this but when you cop on that theres massive holes in the theory we'll just change what it means, but god is still infallible (except for times when thats inconvenient too)"

Well you’ll get no argument from me on that score, it’s exactly what explains the differences in the various interpretations and beliefs in just Christianity alone between all the various denominations of Christianity, and that brings us back to the opinion of the Bishop in this case and his take on Yoga and Mindfulness and whether or not they have a place in Catholic schools due to their incompatibility with Christian origins. He’s correct of course, but all he’s doing is stating the obvious. It’s certainly not newsworthy, and publicising the story is as I see it nothing more than an attempt to get a rise out of people. That’s being a dick, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

"The Book Of FAQ's" at the end of the bible thing would certainly be handy.

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2019/1021/1084743-priest-exorcism-co-wexford/
    Parents complain over priest's plans to pay 'exorcism' visits
    The diocese of Ferns has received a number of complaints from parents of first Holy Communion children after a priest said that he will be visiting homes "for rosaries and exorcisms".

The priest, Fr Michael Doyle, is parish priest of Poulfur-Templetown in Co Wexford and made his comments at mass on Sunday.

He has told parents from Scoil Mhaodhoig Poulfur that he expects them to attend Sunday mass in the run-up to first communion next May and, according to a spokesman for the diocese of Ferns, said he will be "visiting their houses for rosaries and exorcisms".

More of it. Any other organisation that came out with this kind of nonsense would be long defunct. Only a matter of time I guess.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2019/1021/1084743-priest-exorcism-co-wexford/

More of it. Any other organisation that came out with this kind of nonsense would be long defunct. Only a matter of time I guess.

Poulfur has already had this to endure :

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/wexford-people-recall-abuse-by-fortune-and-others-1.1055651

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Those fairy walks are absolutely brilliantly. The excitement and the amount of utter nonsense adults can fill children's heads with is great (currently, for me, all tied back to going to bed early and not getting up in the middle of the night to go into their parents' bed!). Anyway, on to Oíche Shamhna, púcaí and an saol eile and, even at this early stage (needs must!), the elves flying around the sky checking all little toddlers are in their leaba so that Santa knows what to get them.

The second paragraph isn't that clear. Atheists lie to children just fine, they just don't lie to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,499 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yoga plays a massive part now for people involved in recovery from serious chronic physical illness and injury... I know because of what I’ve read, what I’m told by doctors, sports people and physiotherapists.. I know because I’m one of those people who needed it to help me walk again and get back to health...

if a child of mine or indeed any child needed it they should do it... there is nothing approaching inappropriate in doing yoga... if you have any doubts about the Catholic Church, it’s current ‘media friendly’ head fûckwit then have a read of what he is saying here... if you or a loved one wanted to do yoga for health, therapeutic reasons, fitness whatever, do it, simple... because some uneducated prîck in a shiny white frock, spouting nonsense about things he doesn’t know about and presenting it as fact when it’s drivel in its entirety, bordering hitleresque proclamations is just a reason to go do it....

• Advertisement

My local church in Galway does yoga for old age pensioners. Again its very popular.

Advertisement