Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scad fishing

Options
  • 18-10-2019 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi all, is there anybody who caught Horse mackerel (Scad) around the east coast like Dublin/Wicklow? Any info/advise about area/rig is grateful. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Hi all, is there anybody who caught Horse mackerel (Scad) around the east coast like Dublin/Wicklow? Any info/advise about area/rig is grateful. Thanks.

for rigs, most Scad will be caught by accident fishing for mackerel, try some size 1-2/0 flashy feathers or a paternoster with some french booms and small fish baits.

I down south, cant help with a location up by you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Off the shore? I fished for them with a friend who lived in Whitegate, Cork Harbour. He used a type of pop up rig. I'll try dig up the details if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are they edible? I recall it going as fishmeal when trawlers caught them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Bony but edible. Tastier than a bland white fish.

http://www.boat-angling.co.uk/simple-scad/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Plenty of these prehistoric looking fish around the headlands in Clare during the late autumn...

German sprats are good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭PopSensyDad

Are they edible? I recall it going as fishmeal when trawlers caught them.

Atlantic horse mackerel (scad) is almost identical to Japanese horse mackerel. Large quantity is being imported to. Actually more valuable fish than mackerel there, both in price and as a catch.

Raw (Sashimi / Sushi), frying, baking, pounding with source... bliss.

Xr22yHZ.jpglSx0D4Z.jpg
    apQpopv.jpgQPZDX6B.jpg?1

It seems I have to go south... I caught only once off from Dun Laoghaire pier but was tiny about 4 inch!

I bit wonder about "prehistoric looking"... am I sharing the same idea about what is "Scad"? According to wikipedia, this is Scad.

Atlantic_Horse_Mackerel.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭dmc17

It seems I have to go south... I caught only once off from Dun Laoghaire pier but was tiny about 4 inch!

I bit wonder about "prehistoric looking"... am I sharing the same idea about what is "Scad"? According to wikipedia, this is Scad.

Yep, that's them. Some info here

Thank you for the information all!

Advertisement