Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra ID checks in DUB today?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Nothing unusual arriving into Terminal 2 yesterday afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Okay, allow me to clarify. I was coming from Belgrade and had changed in Frankfurt.

I had the same flying Lufthansa from Belgrade to Frankfurt two weeks ago. German immigration checked all passports coming down the plane steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Good to see some very obvious proactive action, does wonders for public trust in the INIS. Word gets out anyone trying to get in will find another route. Certain connecting routes offer transfers without need for passport checks, FRA, CDG etc.

Not uncommon in Germany to see a cop at boarding gate to check documents.

That said I haven't had my passport fully scanned in Dublin T2 in several months, quick visual check only, wasn't run against the computer as was supposedly the new policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭bikeman1

That now tallies with my mother's experience coming in from Vienna with Lauda last week. Full check at the plane / terminal entry point.

She asked me, what the hell was happening, told her they were looking for a particular passenger(s) on the flight that they wanted to talk to. Didn't think it was actually part of a wider operation! Good to see and interesting to read that the invound airline is not responsible once they are effectively off the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Armed Garda and Immigration met our plane from Faro this afternoon also. Just an announcement to immigration was at the door and would be checking documentation on the way out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The amateurs amongst us are clearly missing something - what is the failure in the standard passport check that prompts a second one before what we would have assumed was the normal border control to weed out those who should not pass into the country ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The amateurs amongst us are clearly missing something - what is the failure in the standard passport check that prompts a second one before what we would have assumed was the normal border control to weed out those who should not pass into the country ?

Prevents fake asylum claims from countries which are safe. No disposing of passports in the toilets or bins going through arrivals allegedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

With the check at the plane, there is no discussion of where you came from and with who. Makes sending someone back much much easier and if the doc's are dumped on the plane we know which plane, have the manifest.

There are whole pile of airports where connections are possible without going through immigration, VIE is one, PRG, FRA, AMS, CDG these are high risk.

A certain Irish airline has enforced a visa check for non EEA for years as part of a policy to protect them from the legal actions which follow for carrying someone without the right paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,403 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Prevents fake asylum claims from countries which are safe. No disposing of passports in the toilets or bins going through arrivals allegedly.

A scan should be made of all passport documentation for passengers boarding the plane and this record forwarded to immigration at the destination airport, this would crack down on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭Damien360

Is there not extensive CCTV all over the airport ? So if someone claims to not have docs and it is questionable who brought them, could they not check CCTV and have them back on a flight at the carriers cost ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

A scan should be made of all passport documentation for passengers boarding the plane and this record forwarded to immigration at the destination airport, this would crack down on it.

Data protection anyone?

Legal base?

Who pays?

Remember the backstop was solvable with "technology" which others said didnt exist and wasnt tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A lot of passports get dumped in the toilets of the plane. When they then present to immigration they can then claim to be from any country or age, so stopping them on the plane means they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

This always amazed me about ireland and UK

When flying out the only person to check your passport is the nice person at the boarding gate or at the door of the plane

With the quick turnaround times this is bottom of the list i'm sure.

We flew from Germany recently and there was passport control after security. They weren't best please that my other half had not signed her passport.

I flew from Leeds Bradford to ibiza with a friend from Argentina and they didnt give his passport a second glance he was 100% legit but they never checked for any visa's

• Registered Users Posts: 68,690 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That control after security on the way to Ireland was the Schengen exit check. You wouldn't have had any checks at all to a Schengen destination

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

L1011 wrote: »
    That control after security on the way to Ireland was the Schengen exit check. You wouldn't have had any checks at all to a Schengen destination

And therein lies the problem. If you use a false identity to pass the exit check then next stop DUB. But that would need a very good false document but us done all the time. The major problem is dummy transfers at another airport that can be accessed on your real document and then simply head to the gate for DUB for the flight you intend catching. (The old Pier A trick in dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

These checks are common in Europe, if someone gets caught getting off the aircraft without the correct documentation, they cant claim asylum, so these checks basically save our country a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

These checks are common in Europe, if someone gets caught getting off the aircraft without the correct documentation, they cant claim asylum

I am not sure that is true but ready to stand corrected if you point me at the correct law or SI . It was my understanding that anyone is eligible to claim asylum

• Registered Users Posts: 68,690 ✭✭✭✭L1011

trellheim wrote: »
    I am not sure that is true but ready to stand corrected if you point me at the correct law or SI . It was my understanding that anyone is eligible to claim asylum

Dublin Protocol requires them to do it in the first safe country, so if they're coming on a flight from Spain etc they get turned back

• Registered Users Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

@TRellheim, how about the carriers obligation under 2001/51/EC of 28 June 2001,

Article 2
    Member States shall take the necessary steps to ensure that the
    obligation of carriers to return third country nationals provided
    for in the provisions of Article 26(1)(a) of the Schengen
    Convention shall also apply when entry is refused to a third country national in transit if:
    (a) the carrier which was to take him to his country of destination refuses to take him on board;
    (b) or the authorities of the State of destination have refused
    him entry
    and have sent him back to the Member State
    through which he transited.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

Thanks for that. I had forgotten the Dublin Convention. Smurf, yes but my point was anyone can apply for asylum ( you can be refused, though, as you point out but I could not see that happening on the jetway) , however the Dublin Convention overrides I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Flew back from Doncaster last night and there was nothing out of the ordiary, just the usual scan at the gate,

must say that part of the terminal that FlyBE use is so much easier than the ryanair trek from gates to passport control

• Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Are you considered in the State before you step off an aircraft?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭daheff

Bazzy wrote: »
    They weren't best please that my other half had not signed her passport.

Had this before with a seven year old.They made her sign the passport in front of them.

can't really see the point of it. what if the person cannot write (and there still are people out there who can't read or write)?

Also if I'm faking a passport with my picture, I'm going to be putting in a signature too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Signatures as a general rule I don't really get. In most cases where I have to sign something, the person on the other end has no way of verifying that the signature is mine or not. Especially ludicrous when you have online systems where you literally type your name as your signature. Seems to be literally just a box ticking exercise so the person on the other end can absolve themselves of some responsibility if a person comes along and fakes someone's identity.

Funnily enough, I know a guy who used to write "Ask me for photo ID" in the space for signature on his credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Are you considered in the State before you step off an aircraft?

No, I seen a video on youtube before where your technically not in the country, Its like if you arrive and getting a flight onto America, You don't enter the country of ireland.

Going on the theme of the thread, Got off a FR flight from lanzarote yesterday and there was 2 customs officials at the gate coming of the cement into the main T1 building, Once they seen the harp on the passport they where happy.

Advertisement