Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campagnolo advice

Options
  • 18-10-2019 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice on campagnolo super record eps,

I’m looking at building a campagnolo super record eps kitted out bike. I’m looking for advise on what will work with what. There is some bargains out there on used stuff. I’m sticking with 11speed for another year. I seen some stuff on eBay for sale. Is there a difference in the super record shifters. Is all 11 speed super record eps shifters/derailleurs compatible with all eps ? I’m looking for the internal battery, I’ve see V2/V3 and not sure what it all is, I’ve raced with campagnolo years ago but have been on shimano & Sram last 10 years and would like to rebuild my RB1K with super record eps. Any advice would be appreciated,

Cheers zip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

@koutoubia will be along in a moment with all the answers you need...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Zippe

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    @koutoubia will be along in a moment with all the answers you need...;)

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

OK.
    So you cant mix R/SR with any other eps gruppo ie chorus/Athena.
    So from here on in we are talking about R/SR and the connectors/plugs.

The connectors coming from the shifters and mechs are the same for R/SR and from the battery.
    So you can pick up any generation of shifters and mechs as long as they are R/SR.
    I have both V2 and V3.

The difference between them is that V3 is 'interactive'.
    You can connect into the V3 system via the 'My Campy' app and set up a multiple of different things.
    EG you can change what way each shifter works . I have my V3 set up the same as my etap. Right hand finger blade moves the rear mech into a harder sprocket and the left hand finger blade moves the rear mech into an easier sprocket and the thumb shifters move the fd.
    You can set the rd into different modes ie race mode- the shifting is fast or sportive mode where it is a little bit less fast or you can have it where it will move a few sprockets at a time with one press of the shifter.
    You can also check the battery status via the app and it will connect to your garmin to tell you battery status and gear selection.

The charging point is on the module mounted on the stem.

V2 has none of the above but is just as crisp and pretty much faultless.
    The charging point is on a seperate nipple that has to be located somewhere coming out of the frame.
    This is where you may have heard about people having to drill a hole in the frame to locate the V2 charging .

If pulling the trigger and can afford V3 then go for it.
    Make sure you get a shop that knows and has installed eps before.
    The tools are expensive and very specific. Once the cables have been mated then you need a dedicated tool to unmate them. If not they can be easily broken and not repairable.
    Make sure you get the 'Cage' that goes over the axle in the BB. This protects the cables from getting rubbed by the Axle.

Think thats everything covered.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Great post. You don't hear much about campag eps. Di2 seems to be completely dominant and I've heard mixed reports on eTap. Enough to put me off it. How does eps compare them in your opinion as an owner of both.

Hey,

Thanks for all that info. That explains pretty much everything I needed to know. By the sounds of it eps is not as diy friendly as Etap and Di2, at the same time I’d like to build a full Italian build. Would you think used V3 stuff is ok ? I like the way Etap works so the idea of been able to change the shifting around is a nice touch.

Cheers zipp

• Advertisement

ok so let me do a EPS v Etap comparison.

EPS is not user friendly/diy install unless you are prepared to shell out for the tools. Etap is essentially pair everything ,bolt on , dial in and ride.*

Shifting.
    EPS
    Once you jump through the hoops of pressing buttons for lights setting to second sprocket etc etc .... its done. No mis-shifts. Click and shift.

Etap
    RD. Quite possibly the easiest setting up you will ever do. Set the limit screw to the 11 tooth sprocket. Then click up to the top and set that limit screw your done.
    FD.*
    The thing that Etap is renowned for as it can be so tempremental.
    It should be easy peasy but its can break you. Setting up limit screws and accounting for the overshift going from small to big is an art form. IF YOU HAVE A SOFT FD HANGER DONT GO FOR Etap!!!
    My etap is on a Ridley Noah. I get an overshift ie throwing the chain once every approx every 15 shifts.
    A mate has Etap on a frame that I wont name (dont wanna go down the Hambini route) and he cant get a decent fd shift due to IMO the hanger bending when the motor activates. I have suggested removing the hanger but its bot a round tubed frame.
    Making adjustments on the go if ever needed..Etap wins hands down.

Once the rd is set up on both there is really no difference between both.

Problems
    When I got the V3 battery and interface after a short time I got a white light and the FD stopped working. Had to be brought to a Campy accredited shop where a diagnoses was made via the app and a hard reset had to be done.
    I have heard of Etap giving issues and ,indeed, my mate mentioned above had the issue of the rd not moving then dumping all the shifts in one go.
    I havent had any such issues.
    The fact that you can swap batteries around on the etap is great especially if you do long regular rides. You can buy a spare battery , charge it and put it in your saddle bag and you can effectivley go for months without needing to charge.

Battery life.
    Superb from both. And I mean thousands of kms. Out of habit I throw the charger on once a month with both.

Buying V3 used? Why not but as long as your getting a decent saving from new.

Did I miss anything???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

If you had to pick one you'd go with ... ?!

Plastik wrote: »
    If you had to pick one you'd go with ... ?!

Really depends on the frame tbh.
    EG
    Putting anything but Carbon Campy onto my Tommasini wouldnt be acceptable
    But on my dark coloured Noah SL the Etap works

Every system has its problems..BUT if a gun was put to my head then EPS 11sp.
    Its just sex in the looks dept.

BTW Zippe..if you go with EPS I have a set of lightly used SR 11sp brakes you can have for a song*...may help with the financial pain.

* A song in SR terms:D

koutoubia wrote: »
    BTW Zippe..if you go with EPS I have a set of lightly used SR 11sp brakes you can have for a song*...may help with the financial pain.

* A song in SR terms:D

Sounds good. Will chat to you after about them.

• Advertisement

ok so let me do a EPS v Etap comparison.

EPS is not user friendly/diy install unless you are prepared to shell out for the tools. Etap is essentially pair everything ,bolt on , dial in and ride.*

Shifting.
    EPS
    Once you jump through the hoops of pressing buttons for lights setting to second sprocket etc etc .... its done. No mis-shifts. Click and shift.

Etap
    RD. Quite possibly the easiest setting up you will ever do. Set the limit screw to the 11 tooth sprocket. Then click up to the top and set that limit screw your done.
    FD.*
    The thing that Etap is renowned for as it can be so tempremental.
    It should be easy peasy but its can break you. Setting up limit screws and accounting for the overshift going from small to big is an art form. IF YOU HAVE A SOFT FD HANGER DONT GO FOR Etap!!!
    My etap is on a Ridley Noah. I get an overshift ie throwing the chain once every approx every 15 shifts.
    A mate has Etap on a frame that I wont name (dont wanna go down the Hambini route) and he cant get a decent fd shift due to IMO the hanger bending when the motor activates. I have suggested removing the hanger but its bot a round tubed frame.
    Making adjustments on the go if ever needed..Etap wins hands down.

Once the rd is set up on both there is really no difference between both.

Problems
    When I got the V3 battery and interface after a short time I got a white light and the FD stopped working. Had to be brought to a Campy accredited shop where a diagnoses was made via the app and a hard reset had to be done.
    I have heard of Etap giving issues and ,indeed, my mate mentioned above had the issue of the rd not moving then dumping all the shifts in one go.
    I havent had any such issues.
    The fact that you can swap batteries around on the etap is great especially if you do long regular rides. You can buy a spare battery , charge it and put it in your saddle bag and you can effectivley go for months without needing to charge.

Battery life.
    Superb from both. And I mean thousands of kms. Out of habit I throw the charger on once a month with both.

Buying V3 used? Why not but as long as your getting a decent saving from new.

Did I miss anything???

Hey,

Is there a V2 & V3 in the derailleurs and wiring kit also ? I’ll be going SR for definite. If I’m pushing the boat I might as well push it out far enough to float it.

Again thanks for all the info.

I have Etap on a couple bike also and have brand new Etap stuff to sell.

Cheers Zip

Zippe wrote: »
    Hey,

Is there a V2 & V3 in the derailleurs and wiring kit also ?
    No.
    The V3 refers to the battery and interface only.
    Everything else is standard.

Originally the shifters and mechs I had were mated to a V2 battery. I then bought the V3 battery and interface and used the mechs and shifters to that.
    No issues!

No.
    The V3 refers to the battery and interface only.
    Everything else is standard.

Originally the shifters and mechs I had were mated to a V2 battery. I then bought the V3 battery and interface and used the mechs and shifters to that.
    No issues!

Hey.

Thank a mill for all that info. You’ve covered everything I needed to know. I was unsure whether to pick up used stuff in case it wouldn’t match up for me. I’m familiar with Di2 and Etap as I’ve had both, I probably had one of the first 7900 Di2 bikes when it came out first, it moved on a lot over the years. I’ve taken a jump towards this year on two bikes, one for training to get used of the thumb shifters again and then my good bike ! SR EPS !

Cheers Zip

Advertisement