Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VDSL available at a maximum of 7mbps

• 18-10-2019 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

I want to move away from Virgin Media as i'm kinda sick of the constant price hikes. I'd be happy enough with 70mbps+ as long as it's reliable. I rang around a few of the 'fibre' providers to see if i could get a vdsl service, but either they can't find my address or they're telling me I can get a maximum of 7mbps. (Sky even tried to tell me they could only run a speed test if i bought a €60pm TV service first due to GDPR. Pfft!)

If i look on airwire's website they say the same (screenshot attached).

Is this just the default result when they can't tell, or is this likely to be the real maximum. If it is the real maximum, is there anything I can do to get a better speed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

If there are no faults on your line, this is most likely the maximum speed available. In reality, it will probably be slower again than 7 mbps. If I were you, I would be sticking with VM after getting a deal of course.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

You would be insane to move away from Virgin Media, one of the best connections in the country to a very slow VDSL service. While your modem may sync at 7 megs, your real world speed would be somwhere between 5.5 and 6.5 megs with a 1 meg upload. 1080p streaming would be a no go and even 720p streaming may buffer regularly. Downloading anything would take forever. Stay where you are with Virgin Media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gonzo wrote: »
    You would be insane to move away from Virgin Media, one of the best connections

VM arent that great. DSLite, ****e CPE, predatory billing practices.

Tier 1: All GPON products
    Tier 2: Virgin
    Tier 3: Good VDSL

@moon2 Its very possible that your cab is 1800m away. Thats all she wrote until GPON in the next 3-4yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭moon2

ED E wrote: »
    VM arent that great. DSLite, ****e CPE, predatory billing practices.

Tier 1: All GPON products
    Tier 2: Virgin
    Tier 3: Good VDSL

@moon2 Its very possible that your cab is 1800m away. Thats all she wrote until GPON in the next 3-4yrs.

The thing that boggles me is that, according to the fibre rollout maps there are 4 cabs within 300m of me as the crow flies and they're all marked as fibre enabled.

It sounds like the 7mbps is going to be accurate anyway and there's nothing I can do about it. I'll just have to haggle with VM for the second time in 2 months to see what happens. I only signed up to the current pricing in August. Urgh.

Thanks for confirming that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

moon2 wrote: »
    The thing that boggles me is that, according to the fibre rollout maps there are 4 cabs within 300m of me as the crow flies and they're all marked as fibre enabled.

Is it possible that your phone line was in place before those cabinets were installed?
    In that case you would be connected to the exchange.
    It's also possible that there was some issue when your line was installed and it was easier to connect you to the exchange so they went with that option.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    Is it possible that your phone line was in place before those cabinets were installed?
    In that case you would be connected to the exchange.
    It's also possible that there was some issue when your line was installed and it was easier to connect you to the exchange so they went with that option.
    That could be the case. I don't know enough to be able to tell. I might ring back one of the companies and press a bit to see if they can tell me why it's so slow and if there's anything that can be done to fix it.

That said, I'm don't think anything will change so I'm stuck with VM... Unless I have line of sight to my brothers house which is less than 1km away and set up a point to point network :p

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Francobegbie

I had a similar situation, all other addresses in the estate showed 50Mbps + while mine was only a max of 7Mbps on a NGB connection. It turned out that Eir had the line marked as running to a cabinet that was several kms away. The line was actually connected to the cabinet at the end of the housing estate. So it could be that they have made the same mistake.

You could try search speeds to neighbour's addresses and scour the map for cabinets near you to get an idea of where is closest to you.
    https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

I looked on your fibre roll out map above. It is showing a rural fibre cable running up the road right outside my house, all my neighbours have fibre, yet I am being told that fibre is not available to me, this is month 5 now and frustration from order is starting to annoy the hell out of me, its stopping the development of my plans for the house and a business in said property... can anything be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Francobegbie

If there is a neighbour further from the cabinet that is feeding your house and they are getting FTTC(fibre to the cainet) from it, then it isnt logical that you cant avail of it.

If you got an Eir engineer out on a bogus line fault (something like telling them the line is clicking randomly) and once the guy calls out explain the speeds are below the normal speed etc. The engineer that called out to me recently said that its rare that theyd charge a call out fee although the Eir phone rep did threaten it.

If you are confident that Eir has f'd up on their side then it could be worth a go. Call out fee they said could be €100 if they decide the fault is on the customer. Doubtful that'd happen Id say judging by what youve said

If there is a neighbour further from the cabinet that is feeding your house and they are getting FTTC(fibre to the cainet) from it, then it isnt logical that you cant avail of it.

I just used the checker to see what other houses on the road can get. My immediate neighbour is marked as 7mbps, but every other house i checked is 40-70mbps. My place was built after the rest of the estate, so I wonder if they ran a line splitter or something between my neighbour and I, and that's why we both have low speeds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement