Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Move to Kildare

• 19-10-2019 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hi.

Myself and my fiancé are looking thinking of renting in Kildare. We both work Dublin so where would be nice and a do-able commute up to Citywest and Templeogue each day from there? Our son is in school up near Dublin 14 and we’d like to keep him there until at least the summer time, anyone do this commute with a child? How do you find it? I’m not in work until after they’re in school.

Looking for all opinions good and bad!

Thanks a mill :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sarac87

Hey not sure what part of Kildare your thinking of but I'm living in Newbridge nearly two years commuting to Templeogue kids in school in D14 also. We leave the house between 6.30 and 6.45 arrive at childminders between 7.30 and 7.45 and I'm in Templeogue before my 8.30 start. Its an early start but it is what it is and you get used to it fairly quickly. 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Would the kids be moving school for the the 2020/21 school year? If so, probably best not to weigh that too heavily in your decision making.

That being said, I think anything beyond kildare town will just be too far for commuting to Templeogue. It will be a real drag. The M7 widening has improved things greatly however.

Would recommend Newbridge over Naas simply because it's a bit better laid out. Everything is in the town but in Naas, you always seem to be going around it to get to what you what because so much of the amenities are outside the actual town. Newbridge can be fairly congested at times with Traffic though which can be an issue depending on where you buy. Not so much if you buy out Athgarvan direction as you can make use of Exit 12 and the Curragh.

Never lived in North Kildare but wouldn't really suit your Citywest/Templeogue setup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭pad199207

If your doing the commute try and get into a North Kildare town as much as possible(Kilcock, Maynooth, Celbridge, Naas, Leixlip, Kill etc)

I know these areas are much higher priced than the likes of Kildare or Newbridge but they are much closer to Citywest and Templeogue and closer to town etc.

If your looking for an actual area with a ‘town’ feel well then Newbridge/Kildare/Monasterevin will probably be your best bet as North Kildare is becoming very suburban especially Sallins/Naas as it seem to have lost the town appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

North Kildare would be best for a regular Dublin commute. Naas or Kill would be far closer to Citywest and Templogue than anywhere else in Kildare.

Also keep in mind if you’re commuting by public transport, maynooth or Celbridge is the way to go. If you’re commuting by car, Naas or Kill is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Tomrota wrote: »
    North Kildare would be best for a regular Dublin commute. Naas or Kill would be far closer to Citywest and Templogue than anywhere else in Kildare.

Also keep in mind if you’re commuting by public transport, maynooth or Celbridge is the way to go. If you’re commuting by car, Naas or Kill is the way to go.

Celbridge is closer to Citywest Business campus than Naas, and the same distance as Kill, base on AA routefinder. Driving would probably be quicker at peak times too. Templeogue would probably be the same, depending oin which route you went.
    But similar properties would cost more in Celbridge than the other two places mentioned, probably due to proximity to Dublin and availability of public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

The Mulk wrote: »
    Celbridge is closer to Citywest Business campus than Naas, and the same distance as Kill, base on AA routefinder. Driving would probably be quicker at peak times too. Templeogue would probably be the same, depending oin which route you went.
    But similar properties would cost more in Celbridge than the other two places mentioned, probably due to proximity to Dublin and availability of public transport.
    Well if you take into account the N7, I think it’s much easier to do it from Naas. Celbridge to Citywest is messy in comparison. From Naas you just enter the N7, drive for ten minutes, and then exit. You’re in citywest. It’s very simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Tomrota wrote: »
    Well if you take into account the N7, I think it’s much easier to do it from Naas. Celbridge to Citywest is messy in comparison. From Naas you just enter the N7, drive for ten minutes, and then exit. You’re in citywest. It’s very simple.

At peak time it could be 30 mins though, I know a couple of people from Kill who go backroads every morning to Citywest and areas of Clondalkin just to avoid the N7
    It's a handy spin from Celbridge, although I'm not sure how it will be when GrangeCastle is all finished

Advertisement